Sign in to follow this  
urii

Can you enter using Visa Waiver even when you have your K-1 issued?

10 posts in this topic

Can you NOT use your K-1 (saving it for the next U.S. entry) and enter (and then leave) U.S. on a Visa Waiver instead?

I know it may sound silly :), but I'm wondering if that has been done by anyone?

My fiancee, who hopefully will get her K1 issued by the end of this month, will be coming to the US a month after.

I and my fiancee have planned a trip to Quebec, Canada for this late summer (late Aug through early Sep) before realizing that the Advanced Parole takes at least two months to process.

If she enters on her K1 (thus invalidating it) this time, there's little chance she can get the AP issued by August according to VJ timelines.

I thought about postponing our wedding until September, having her enter on the Visa Waiver (for 90days) next month, and then finally using her K-1 when we're coming back from our trip to Canada.

Perhaps it isn't worth the risk. But on second thought, why would any immigration officer force one to use her K1 when she says she wants to be able to get OUT of the country?

Thanks!

Not worth the risk, the only time I have seen this do-able is by a very very few select Canadians who enter the USA and do not use their K-1.

They will give her the option to enter on the K-1 or turn around and go home.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

The only real way to know for sure is for her to board a flight and attempt to cross using her VWP instead of her K-1. If refused...then what? Will she chose to return to Korea or will she choose to enter on her K-1, thus ruining your trip to Canada

Play this safe, postpone your trip to Canada

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

I know this is a few weeks old, but I have first hand experience in entering on the VWP with another, unused visa in my passport. I had a valid F-1 visa, but wanted to spend the entire summer in the US, whereas the F-1 only allowed me to enter 30 days before starting school. I entered, asked the CBP officer if he could just admit me as a tourist since i planned to go home for a week and then come back on the F-1, no problem at all he said. Might be different with a K-1, but legally, there shouldn't be any problems doing this, as long as you re-enter. The problem is, you're only going to Canada.

The reason I wouldn't do this, is because entering Canada after a VWP stay is NOT considered having left the US as far as your visa waiver tourist status goes. You'd have to leave to somewhere outside Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean to re-enter in a new status after a VWP stay.

Edited by jaejayC

I know this is a few weeks old, but I have first hand experience in entering on the VWP with another, unused visa in my passport. I had a valid F-1 visa, but wanted to spend the entire summer in the US, whereas the F-1 only allowed me to enter 30 days before starting school. I entered, asked the CBP officer if he could just admit me as a tourist since i planned to go home for a week and then come back on the F-1, no problem at all he said. Might be different with a K-1, but legally, there shouldn't be any problems doing this, as long as you re-enter. The problem is, you're only going to Canada.

The reason I wouldn't do this, is because entering Canada after a VWP stay is NOT considered having left the US as far as your visa waiver tourist status goes. You'd have to leave to somewhere outside Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean to re-enter in a new status after a VWP stay.

The F1 isn't a single use visa like the K1, and it doesn't allow for immigrant intent like the K1 does. The VWP also does not permit immigrant intent. There's a huge conflict here. The alien would be asking CBP to admit them under terms that prohibit immigrant intent, while they've got a visa in their passport that clearly indicates they intend to immigrate. I doubt most CBP officers would admit someone as a VWP visitor if they had a K1 in their passport. This is like going half way through the immigration process and then asking to be treated temporarily like a tourist again.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

My concern would be when they see her name on the flight manifest AFTER she has been issued a K1 as leaving the country and incorrectly assuming she entered and voided her K1. It is 100% not worth the risk.

The F1 isn't a single use visa like the K1, and it doesn't allow for immigrant intent like the K1 does. The VWP also does not permit immigrant intent. There's a huge conflict here. The alien would be asking CBP to admit them under terms that prohibit immigrant intent, while they've got a visa in their passport that clearly indicates they intend to immigrate. I doubt most CBP officers would admit someone as a VWP visitor if they had a K1 in their passport. This is like going half way through the immigration process and then asking to be treated temporarily like a tourist again.

All excellent points.

I have a similar problem, but it has to do with my fiance's job. He is in the merchant marines in France and works on boats with a 6 week off/7 week on schedule. He has his interview at the US Embassy on August 21st, but then has to leave to go work again around the 24th of September. His job takes him to Africa. We don't think there is enough time for us to get married in early September (right after he gets the K1 and flies here), apply for AOS, and receive the Advance Parole so he can leave again by the 24th. So the idea is that he'd enter with his B1/B2 visa in September, state his intent is to see his fiance and NOT to get married yet, and he'll wait to use the K1 when he comes back in November. As long as his stated intent is to just see me in September, it should be okay right? Any thoughts?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.