pixeldawn

B2 Visa denied, reapplying

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all,

I had my B2 visa interview this morning and I was rejected on the grounds of 214(b) of not having strong ties. Now, I'm an Indian Citizen currently in the UK on a Tier 1 visa. I'm 24 years old.

I wanted to visit the US to see a friend and we were going to do this tour together http://greentortoise.com/adventures/western.trail.zion.vegas.LA.html

I was carrying the following documents with me:

• Invitation letter and Friend's passport
  • Letter from my Employer
  • Paylisps
  • Bank Account Statement
  • Tenancy Agreement for flat

This is how the interview went:

VO: Why do you want to travel to the US?

Me: To visit a friend.

VO: How do you know your friend?

Me: We were flatmates at university.

VO: Which university and what did you study?

Me: University of Pune, India and IT Engineering.

VO: What do you do in the UK and how long have you been here?

Me: I work for [Company Name] where I'm employed as an [Role]. I've been here for 1.5 years.

Now, just as I was going to show him all the documents I was carrying the VO said that he'd already made his decision and was not able to grant me a visa citing that I don't have strong ties to the UK.

I am panicking now as I already had made so many plans, bought tickets etc. I realise I should have never taken this for granted but I thought having a well paid stable job would be enough to get a B2 visa.

I have re-booked another appointment in a couple of days time and I know that it will probably mean another rejection but I was just wondering if there's anything I should do differently this time? Maybe carrying an itinerary of the adventure tour that I've booked?

I'd be grateful for any advice that I can use.

Many thanks,

A

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No harm. But what will have happened in 3 days to improve your non immigrant intent?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm just hoping that I can show them all of my documentation (which was never seen the first time around) to prove that I do indeed have every intention of coming back to London to my job.

Would it help if I don't mention I have a friend in the US and just tell them that I'm going as a tourist to do this tour?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I'm just hoping that I can show them all of my documentation (which was never seen the first time around) to prove that I do indeed have every intention of coming back to London to my job.

Would it help if I don't mention I have a friend in the US and just tell them that I'm going as a tourist to do this tour?

How were you able to have another appointment in just three days after your first one? If I am not mistaken, you are not allowed to book an appointment for a tourist visa at least six months after the first one. You could be questioned on this during your interview and this could cause problems. I could be wrong, though, so am just asking.

The Journey

Arrived on F1 visa on 25 Dec 2008. Graduated June 2011. Started OPT Sep 2011.

AOS applied March 21, 2012. GC approved June 11, 2012 & received June 18, 2012.

Exactly three months from start to finish,no RFEs.

AOS Timeline:

Day 01,March 21, 2012: Concurrent filing of I-130/AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago Lockbox

Day 02,March 22, 2012: Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox

Day 04,March 24, 2012: USCIS Acceptance Confirmation received through e-mail

Day 07,March 27, 2012: Checks cashed.

Day 13,April 02, 2012 : NOAs received for I-130,I-485,EAD/AP & Biometrics

Day 36,April 25, 2012 : Biometrics Completed at Elizabeth, NJ.

Day 45,May 04, 2012 : E-mail notification for interview received for June 11

Day 46,May 05, 2012 : Received hard copy of interview notice

Day 56,May 16, 2012 : EAD/AP Production e-mail

Day 64,May 24, 2012 : EAD/AP Card in hand

Day 83,June 11,2012 : Interview. Approved same day. Card production email.

Day 84,June 12,2012 : E-mail Notification registering PR status.

Day 87,June 15,2012 : USPS picks up GC from USCIS.

Day 88,June 16,2012 : Received two hard copy mails, approving I-130 & I-485

Day 90,June 18,2012 : 10-year GC in hand. End of GC journey, for now.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

How were you able to have another appointment in just three days after your first one? If I am not mistaken, you are not allowed to book an appointment for a tourist visa at least six months after the first one. You could be questioned on this during your interview and this could cause problems. I could be wrong, though, so am just asking.

There is no such thing as you cannot apply for six months after first refusal.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I do, planning to take the receipt with me this time.

First you should not have copy of your friends passport....not required and its someone else's personal documents.

Second let the CO know you and your friend living in US has planned this trip togeather and you can produce documentation to show that.

Later if asked you can show the letter from your employer, your lease agreement and bank statements.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You can apply every day if you want.

I doubt if they will be interested in any documents, they were not the first time.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

There is no such thing as you cannot apply for six months after first refusal.

Thanks for the clarification. I stand corrected.

Well, if there's a clause like that it wasn't mentioned to me. I just rang the embassy and they said that they'd had a cancellation for the 16th so I could book that slot.

All the very best for your second appointment.

The Journey

Arrived on F1 visa on 25 Dec 2008. Graduated June 2011. Started OPT Sep 2011.

AOS applied March 21, 2012. GC approved June 11, 2012 & received June 18, 2012.

Exactly three months from start to finish,no RFEs.

AOS Timeline:

Day 01,March 21, 2012: Concurrent filing of I-130/AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago Lockbox

Day 02,March 22, 2012: Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox

Day 04,March 24, 2012: USCIS Acceptance Confirmation received through e-mail

Day 07,March 27, 2012: Checks cashed.

Day 13,April 02, 2012 : NOAs received for I-130,I-485,EAD/AP & Biometrics

Day 36,April 25, 2012 : Biometrics Completed at Elizabeth, NJ.

Day 45,May 04, 2012 : E-mail notification for interview received for June 11

Day 46,May 05, 2012 : Received hard copy of interview notice

Day 56,May 16, 2012 : EAD/AP Production e-mail

Day 64,May 24, 2012 : EAD/AP Card in hand

Day 83,June 11,2012 : Interview. Approved same day. Card production email.

Day 84,June 12,2012 : E-mail Notification registering PR status.

Day 87,June 15,2012 : USPS picks up GC from USCIS.

Day 88,June 16,2012 : Received two hard copy mails, approving I-130 & I-485

Day 90,June 18,2012 : 10-year GC in hand. End of GC journey, for now.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I've been poking through the Green Tortoise Adventure Bus Tours website

and it's kind of ... funny :hehe:

http://www.greentortoise.com/about.faq.html

"Our converted sleeper coaches are custom designed, hand-made and comfortable.

Personal reading lights and volume controls for our sound system are located

throughout the bus. Most coaches are equipped with toilets although their use

will be selective."

"Currently we have nine converted sleeper coaches criss-crossing North and

Central America."

http://www.greentortoise.com/staff.profiles.html

I-130

2011-08-20 Posted

2011-08-31 NOA1

2011-09-03 Touch

2011-11-18 Sent Expedite Request to USCIS

2011-12-09 Response Received for Exepedite Request

"Wait your turn" in a nutshell

2011-12-02 Sent Expedite Request to US Representative Ed Royce

2012-01-27 Sent Expedite Request to Immigration Ombudsman

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Barbara Boxer

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Dianne Feinstein

2012-03-08 Case transferred to field office for additional processing

2012-03-23 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-05-10 Transferred to another office for processing

2012-05-14 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-06-05 Approved NOA2

2012-07-17 NVC Case/Invoice # Received

Petitioner: US Born Citizen (Wife)

Beneficiary: British Born Citizen (Husband)

Your I-130 was approved in 279 days from your NOA1 date

Filed: Timeline

As others have read before, there are NO specific documents one could present that guarantees one's departure from the US after a visit...neither an invitation letter, an itinerary nor round trip airline tickets can do this...nor a copy of a friend's passport...and returning quickly after a denial has a low chance of success...because it will be likely that the first question to be asked of you will be something like..."what has changed about your situation during the last three days?"....notice that question does NOT ask you to reaffirm WHY you want to go to the US, nor for how long you plan to stay, nor anything else except....what will have changed in your current situation that was markedly different from three days ago?..and the answer??? A letter from your employer is NOT a change; a newer copy of your friend's passport is NOT a change, round trip airline tickets or bookings is NOT a change in YOUR circumstances...these last items are just window dressing, nothing more.

Now, if you foolishly go back for another interview and this time disavow knowing anyone in the US, well, the VOs can easily call up your first denial application and any notes they made....and what do you think will happen to your credibility when they place the two applications up side by side?

Another tried and true strategem is the ..."oh, I have to return because there is this super duper important meeting that I MUST attend which somehow I forgot to mention last time, even though this meeting is more important than life itself, it somehow slipped my mind..." again, a meeting cannot force you to do anything (or a conference or a training session nor any other scheduled activity)...

For whatever the reason(s), you did not convince the VO that you were going to leave the US after a visit...and there is no paper on the planet that can make all of that go away....

Reapplying so soon after your first rejection leads to a higher chance of rejection at your second interview. The reason is how over a 3 day period did your situation change, that is, the the info on your application and your responses to questions asked at your first interview? People tend to reapply for the B2 6 months after a denial. This is because over that period of time applicants may get married (marriage especially with kids are good ties), be promoted to a prominent position at work or simply not be a 'newbie' at work. Also the CO saying you not having strong ties I think has to do with you NOT being a UK national (born or naturalized).

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/361101-mother-in-law-denied-us-tourist-visa-help/page__st__15

Look at post #6

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.