highlander08

advice on travel

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello everyone I am just looking at my options now.. It will cost me aprox 1,200-1,300 to travel to kiev airport.. but all the flights I can find for tashkent show 3,300 and up why such a big difference and are there any other ways like travel by train part way ect.. any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

now I know the story. her parents divorced when she was 11 and both moved on to other relationships and left her with her grandparents in tashkent to raise her. aparently they were there from the war.

*The Family Rules*

Always tell the truth , Always argue naked,of course not in the childrens presence.and Don't go to bed angry.

Too much t.v is bad, too much reading is good! Family comes first, always be there.

Hands are for hugging not for hitting! Be thankful for what you have.. don't envy others

Have fun, be kind, ask first, no fussing, no whining., Husband adore her always- Wife love him forever

Sing silly, dance crazy, hug often, snuggle daily ,use your manners- Yes, please. No, thank you.

Use nice words, ignore dirty words Share everything except bad ideas

Say your prayers, thank God for this family.

Always be nice to strangers cuz they just might be a friend you have'nt met yet..!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Have her take the train to Kiev and meet with her there. If all clicks, then a later trip to her city would work. Or.....have her take the train to Kiev and meet with you and you both take the train to her city.

Yes, these costs are a mere drop in the bucket to the total costs to have a foreign spouse immigrate and live here in the US. Make sure you are prepared for the future. Again, these costs are a drop in the bucket compared to the future costs, especially if there are children involved to immigrate also.

The train from Kiev to Tashkent takes 3+ days. It makes more sense to fly, i think. Direct train Moscow-Tashkent is 2 days and 18 hours (+a visa would be needed for Russia).

Edited by Hollyday

I'm the beneficiary.

....................................................................................................................................................................

Don't have a timeline? Don't know how to get started with it? Do it for the statistics sake: VJ video guide

Filing for a USC spouse visa (IR-1/CR-1) and not sure what comes next? Check out the VJ IR-1/CR-1 guide

Want to know what's happening with your case? Here's the USCIS tracking page (get an account and see if the case's been 'touched'!). Don't get your hopes up though, some cases never even appear there despite being successfully processed.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

One caution on booking legs of your trip separately, if you get delayed or cancelled on a leg prior to the final one they take no responsibility to cover the costs of changing your booking the rest of the way. Still sounds like your way is better if the savings are that high.

Yes, I mentioned that and YES it is a risk. Minimize it by giving yourself time between flights. We have done it a LOT now and never had a problem. But I underatnd we could have a problem and the cost will be about $200 each if we do.

One other consideration is that the transat;antic bagge restrictions are much more generous than domestic. While the JFK-Kiev flight allows you 2 bags, 27kg each, the JetBlue BTV-JFK limits you to one bag and 20kg. So you either pay some bag fees or travel lighter

As for meeting, Kiev would be better. For one, the US Citizen does not need a visa and the Uzbek may NOT need a visa (check on that) BOTH would need a visa in Moscow.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Lot's of good advice. If you can get her to meet you in Kiev, that could be great as long as it is after the Euro 2012 tournament. Prices for any accommodations are outrageous. Since you are planning on meeting for the first time, I'm going to be the sour note in all of this. If she agrees to fly to Kiev (the best option in my opinion) then be sure to buy her a non-refundable round trip ticket. Unfortunately, we have all run into different scams and the price of an airline flight could be significant refundable income for Tashkent. :devil:

I'm just trying to give you a little caution. We all want this to work out for you, but be careful. :thumbs:

Edited by 1HappyGuy

Yes, I mentioned that and YES it is a risk. Minimize it by giving yourself time between flights. We have done it a LOT now and never had a problem. But I underatnd we could have a problem and the cost will be about $200 each if we do.

One other consideration is that the transat;antic bagge restrictions are much more generous than domestic. While the JFK-Kiev flight allows you 2 bags, 27kg each, the JetBlue BTV-JFK limits you to one bag and 20kg. So you either pay some bag fees or travel lighter

As for meeting, Kiev would be better. For one, the US Citizen does not need a visa and the Uzbek may NOT need a visa (check on that) BOTH would need a visa in Moscow.

I have a two min. two hour rule between flights. Anything less and it's cutting it close to the bone. When your travelling so far for so much $, there's no reason to book flights back to back with no real time in between.

As far as those ghetto European rules, the wife is flying Condor Air this time...never heard of it before, but they don't allow a decent size carry on and they are charging a mint for the extra suitcase. She's flying the opposite direction this time. Anchorage straight to Moscow ...across Russia Far East and Siberia.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Timeline

the price of an airline flight could be significant refundable income for Tashkent. :devil:

I'm just trying to give you a little caution. We all want this to work out for you, but be careful. :thumbs:

:lol:

Sounds like a line from "Borat". Highlander, even if you saw it before, it is a MUST repeat seeing before going to Uzbekistan

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I have a two min. two hour rule between flights. Anything less and it's cutting it close to the bone. When your travelling so far for so much $, there's no reason to book flights back to back with no real time in between.

As far as those ghetto European rules, the wife is flying Condor Air this time...never heard of it before, but they don't allow a decent size carry on and they are charging a mint for the extra suitcase. She's flying the opposite direction this time. Anchorage straight to Moscow ...across Russia Far East and Siberia.

Like just about anything, even going to the grocery store...buying plane tickets in this house is like planning the D-day invasion or the manned moon landing. It usually involves a white board, dry erase makers an active skype connection with Sergey (on Moscow time) and Pasha on stand-by for text messages at least. We are buying four tickets so multiply any savings or costs by 4. Up until this year we had to have round trip going both ways. :wacko: It is quite the project. It was worse when we were working in green card renewals and biometrics appointments which always seemed to conflict. Now with Sergey coming back for good that stuff is over :dance:

I never heard of Condor so I am guessing they do not do the JFK-Moscow run. The last couple years it was always either Aerosvit, Aeorflot or Transaero that had the lowest prices. Aeroflot this year with a stop in Moscow. Sergey is flying back one way on Aeroflot to JFK for $446. At least while he is in school we will pay for ONE trip per year for him to DONETSK to visit Bahbushka. Or until she moves here...next USCIS project (we are addicted) If he wants to get his "main squeeze" there to meet him also, that's fine. The other trips are on him! We are not paying for his LDR

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

so is it easy to get a visa to tashkent.? how long does it take ?

*The Family Rules*

Always tell the truth , Always argue naked,of course not in the childrens presence.and Don't go to bed angry.

Too much t.v is bad, too much reading is good! Family comes first, always be there.

Hands are for hugging not for hitting! Be thankful for what you have.. don't envy others

Have fun, be kind, ask first, no fussing, no whining., Husband adore her always- Wife love him forever

Sing silly, dance crazy, hug often, snuggle daily ,use your manners- Yes, please. No, thank you.

Use nice words, ignore dirty words Share everything except bad ideas

Say your prayers, thank God for this family.

Always be nice to strangers cuz they just might be a friend you have'nt met yet..!

What, you haven't looked online?

Check out this site to start: http://www.visit-uzbekistan.com/uzbekistan/visa.php

There are probably others you can try but this is the first one that came up. Review it and see if you want to do it. :thumbs:

Timeline

so is it easy to get a visa to tashkent.? how long does it take ?

I can honestly report I have no freakin' clue

Gary And Alla

One way of getting there (or used to be anyways) is: US > Soul, South Korea > Vladivostok, RU > Tashkent.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

There are connections between Moscow/Domodedovo that you might want to look into. You might need a transit visa. Don't know about Ukrainian airports but Domodedovo is new and surprisingly well laid out and efficient. Sheremetyevo might be an option, too. I haven't been there since before Sheremetyevo 3 opened, so cannot comment on that airport.

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

There are connections between Moscow/Domodedovo that you might want to look into. You might need a transit visa. Don't know about Ukrainian airports but Domodedovo is new and surprisingly well laid out and efficient. Sheremetyevo might be an option, too. I haven't been there since before Sheremetyevo 3 opened, so cannot comment on that airport.

If you fly Aeroflot, you'll be able to stay in one terminal and therefore won't need a transit visa. MUCH prefer Shermetyevo to Domodedevo. I couldn't even find a power outlet in Domodedovo and the only food was Sbarro. One of the longest layovers of my life. On that note, AVOID SWISSAIR/ZURICH LIKE THE PLAGUE. The only thing in THAT airport is a gift shop of Swiss ####### and all the reading materials around are in Swiss German only.

Первый блин комом.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

If you fly Aeroflot, you'll be able to stay in one terminal and therefore won't need a transit visa. MUCH prefer Shermetyevo to Domodedevo. I couldn't even find a power outlet in Domodedovo and the only food was Sbarro. One of the longest layovers of my life. On that note, AVOID SWISSAIR/ZURICH LIKE THE PLAGUE. The only thing in THAT airport is a gift shop of Swiss ####### and all the reading materials around are in Swiss German only.

Shermetyevo is now better than DME? Really? I avoided it like the plague after hearing it was hell on earth.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.