highlander08

advice on travel

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello everyone I am just looking at my options now.. It will cost me aprox 1,200-1,300 to travel to kiev airport.. but all the flights I can find for tashkent show 3,300 and up why such a big difference and are there any other ways like travel by train part way ect.. any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

*The Family Rules*

Always tell the truth , Always argue naked,of course not in the childrens presence.and Don't go to bed angry.

Too much t.v is bad, too much reading is good! Family comes first, always be there.

Hands are for hugging not for hitting! Be thankful for what you have.. don't envy others

Have fun, be kind, ask first, no fussing, no whining., Husband adore her always- Wife love him forever

Sing silly, dance crazy, hug often, snuggle daily ,use your manners- Yes, please. No, thank you.

Use nice words, ignore dirty words Share everything except bad ideas

Say your prayers, thank God for this family.

Always be nice to strangers cuz they just might be a friend you have'nt met yet..!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello everyone I am just looking at my options now.. It will cost me aprox 1,200-1,300 to travel to kiev airport.. but all the flights I can find for tashkent show 3,300 and up why such a big difference and are there any other ways like travel by train part way ect.. any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Combat pay. :lol: Not really.

Hey JFK to Kiev is much cheaper than JFK to Donetsk, even, and Donetsk is relatively civilized compared to Tashkent. JFK to Kiev was something like $750, JFK to Donetsk was $846 and Burlington to Donetsk was $1700!!!!!!!!!! Go figure. I can fly JetBlue to JFK for $49 but when I connect it to a flight to Kiev-Donetsk it becomes $900!!!!!! No thanks.

Competition is the main thing. JFK and Kiev are major hubs and flights between them are as cheap as you are going to get. Going beyond Kiev in Ukraine or Moscow in Russia is going to cost you. Going to Tashkent is going to cost you a LOT more. Consider the train cost and see how that worls but it could be a very low trip.

Also consider buying a ticket JFK-Kiev and then a separate ticket to Tashkent. Try one of the discount carriers to get you to JFK or just drive (driving to JFK is remarkably expensive, especially for parking, flying is probably cheaper)

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Save yourself the heart ache and $$$ and fly to Kyiv and then fly or take a train or bus ride to Odessa and call it good.

http://odessaapts.com/studio_apartments/ <----- find one with a washing machine

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=odessa+ukraine+apartments&oq=odessa+ukraine+apartments&aq=0&aqi=g3g-mK1g-bK6&aql=&gs_l=hp.1.0.0l3j0i5i30j0i8i30l6.2210.11694.1.16020.33.24.4.5.6.0.832.16306.5-19j5.24.0...0.0.gD63I8GxQX4&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=a026b5e33ed2fa7&biw=1440&bih=775 <---- more to check out.

odessa-ukraine-map2.jpg

65826_Ukraine_4572187541_7eed8ea98f.jpg

Ukrainian_beauties_episode_1_Arcadia_Beach_Odessa_Ukraine_May_2009.jpg

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Timeline

Combat pay. :lol: Not really.

Hey JFK to Kiev is much cheaper than JFK to Donetsk, even, and Donetsk is relatively civilized compared to Tashkent. JFK to Kiev was something like $750, JFK to Donetsk was $846 and Burlington to Donetsk was $1700!!!!!!!!!! Go figure. I can fly JetBlue to JFK for $49 but when I connect it to a flight to Kiev-Donetsk it becomes $900!!!!!! No thanks.

Competition is the main thing. JFK and Kiev are major hubs and flights between them are as cheap as you are going to get. Going beyond Kiev in Ukraine or Moscow in Russia is going to cost you. Going to Tashkent is going to cost you a LOT more. Consider the train cost and see how that worls but it could be a very low trip.

Also consider buying a ticket JFK-Kiev and then a separate ticket to Tashkent. Try one of the discount carriers to get you to JFK or just drive (driving to JFK is remarkably expensive, especially for parking, flying is probably cheaper)

Train is 2 + days and 3-350.00 I checked it from here to kiev 1,300 then to tashkent is 900.00 so its cheaper that way. thats philadelphia int. to kiev.

*The Family Rules*

Always tell the truth , Always argue naked,of course not in the childrens presence.and Don't go to bed angry.

Too much t.v is bad, too much reading is good! Family comes first, always be there.

Hands are for hugging not for hitting! Be thankful for what you have.. don't envy others

Have fun, be kind, ask first, no fussing, no whining., Husband adore her always- Wife love him forever

Sing silly, dance crazy, hug often, snuggle daily ,use your manners- Yes, please. No, thank you.

Always be nice to strangers cuz they just might be a friend you have'nt met yet..!

Timeline

Any one know about difference with any safety/security for valuables between staying at an apartment and a hotel as apartments are cheaper and more personal.

*The Family Rules*

Any one know about difference with any safety/security for valuables between staying at an apartment and a hotel as apartments are cheaper and more personal.

Keep any cash on yourself. Ziploc plastic baggy in the socks (the ones on your feet). Take a very small piece of paper and stick it in the jam of your atp. door when you leave to see if anyone has been there while you were out.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Try calling ITN Corp at 800-677-2943. Ask for Carter. They did a great job for me. Online was showing 3k and they got the ticket for 1200. No guarantees and I don't often suggest companies to use but I was in a similar situation and they had an answer. Good luck! wink.gif

Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

39tlivle4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Train is 2 + days and 3-350.00 I checked it from here to kiev 1,300 then to tashkent is 900.00 so its cheaper that way. thats philadelphia int. to kiev.

Check JFK to Kiev. It was under $800 when we bought our tickets for the summer (March). It may be worth the additional travel time to JFK. Every time I checked, JFK is always the cheapest way to Europe. I also check Washington DC, Phil., Boston and Montreal. The only one that was cheaper, one time only, was Chicago, for some unknown reason.

When putting together your own travel package you usually save money BUT be sure to allow enough time between flights because if there is any "glitch" you eat it. When you buy the tickets through the airlines...JFK to Tashkent, if there is some delay at JFK or Kiev they will get you on the next flight to Tashkent for no extra fee. If you buy separate tickets, you are out of luck if you miss flight.

As Kip suggests, also look into buying HER a ticket to Kiev and you meet her there. Uzbeks used to be able to travel to Ukraine without visas but check on that, it may have changed. If it is still the case, then no one needs a visa.

Also check JFK to Moscow and then Moscow to Tashkent. Moscow would not be a good place to meet her though, but you may save money if you decide to go to Tashkent. You do not need a visa to change flights in Moscow.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Check JFK to Kiev. It was under $800 when we bought our tickets for the summer (March). It may be worth the additional travel time to JFK. Every time I checked, JFK is always the cheapest way to Europe. I also check Washington DC, Phil., Boston and Montreal. The only one that was cheaper, one time only, was Chicago, for some unknown reason.

When putting together your own travel package you usually save money BUT be sure to allow enough time between flights because if there is any "glitch" you eat it. When you buy the tickets through the airlines...JFK to Tashkent, if there is some delay at JFK or Kiev they will get you on the next flight to Tashkent for no extra fee. If you buy separate tickets, you are out of luck if you miss flight.

As Kip suggests, also look into buying HER a ticket to Kiev and you meet her there. Uzbeks used to be able to travel to Ukraine without visas but check on that, it may have changed. If it is still the case, then no one needs a visa.

Also check JFK to Moscow and then Moscow to Tashkent. Moscow would not be a good place to meet her though, but you may save money if you decide to go to Tashkent. You do not need a visa to change flights in Moscow.

One caution on booking legs of your trip separately, if you get delayed or cancelled on a leg prior to the final one they take no responsibility to cover the costs of changing your booking the rest of the way. Still sounds like your way is better if the savings are that high.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I agree with Gary--JFK is cheapest. From Philly I take amtrak to Penn Station and then the subway to JFK. I don't even think there's a direct flight to Kiev from Philly; you just end up flying through NYC anyway. Also you don't have to book separately to go through Moscow or wherever; it'll come up as a stop when you use search for tickets. I would only go through sheremetyevo on Aeroflot though to ensure you won't need to go outside.

But also, dude? Slow down. Worry about price comparisons when you know this woman a little better. Oor just have a nice little vacation like why_me suggests.

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

I'd fly her to Moscow or Kiev and meet her there.

I agree, this seems to be the most sensible plan. Though it'd be quite an adventure - when else would you get to Tashkent? Lol.

I'm the beneficiary.

....................................................................................................................................................................

Don't have a timeline? Don't know how to get started with it? Do it for the statistics sake: VJ video guide

Filing for a USC spouse visa (IR-1/CR-1) and not sure what comes next? Check out the VJ IR-1/CR-1 guide

Want to know what's happening with your case? Here's the USCIS tracking page (get an account and see if the case's been 'touched'!). Don't get your hopes up though, some cases never even appear there despite being successfully processed.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Well he'll probably go there, if the relationship goes well, to meet her folks probably.

I meant, outside of this potential relationship. It's not a really popular tourist destination. :)

(Almost like when i was being sent to Albania to meet with a client. Other than that i'd probably never go there, it's way down on my list of places to visit. Didn't make it there that time though.)

I'm the beneficiary.

....................................................................................................................................................................

Don't have a timeline? Don't know how to get started with it? Do it for the statistics sake: VJ video guide

Filing for a USC spouse visa (IR-1/CR-1) and not sure what comes next? Check out the VJ IR-1/CR-1 guide

Want to know what's happening with your case? Here's the USCIS tracking page (get an account and see if the case's been 'touched'!). Don't get your hopes up though, some cases never even appear there despite being successfully processed.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Have her take the train to Kiev and meet with her there. If all clicks, then a later trip to her city would work. Or.....have her take the train to Kiev and meet with you and you both take the train to her city.

Yes, these costs are a mere drop in the bucket to the total costs to have a foreign spouse immigrate and live here in the US. Make sure you are prepared for the future. Again, these costs are a drop in the bucket compared to the future costs, especially if there are children involved to immigrate also.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.