toocool

interview june 18...planned travel to US july 3

33 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

OK, That is good news, however what happens when you have a 3 bedroom house with all your possessions that you want to bring....Should you not make that the first time you POE in order to get everything across with as little hassle as possible?? I mean as far as duty or taxes (or trying to avoid them)..lol.

Also...for instance, say I have a firearm which I want to bring with me, but paper work is not done yet with the atf, would I be hassled if I went over, came back and then tried to reenter at a later date in order to bring it back to the US? I know, I just threw another wrench..or firearm into the senario... :unsure:

one has up to 10 yrs to bring ur stuff over

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We're on the border too and my daughter will be wanting to cross into the US after her Visa is approved, but before she plans on entering on her K-1. What she did was get an enhanced driver's license, back in March. Now, everytime she crosses, she uses that instead of her passport. This way she won't have to worry about not getting her passport back in time for anything and she also won't have to worry about the border agent questioning her about crossing on the K-1 because they won't even see her passport until she makes that final crossing.

Maybe you could hurry and book to get an enhanced DL now. It only took a couple weeks for her to get it in the mail. It's an idea anyway. Good luck!!

My daughter's physical in TO and interview are both in June.

Keep in mind that they will still know there is a K1 in her passport. When I got my visa it was back when you could still cross by land using a birth certificate and driver's license. I asked at my interview if it would be okay to just use my DL and BC to cross instead of my passport in order to avoid using the K1 and the lady interviewing me said no that they would still be able to see that I had a K1 and I wouldn't be able to cross and not use the visa.

Obviously, many people have been successful cross and not using their visa, so I don't think her answer is completely true. But, I don't think it's safe to say that just because she is using an enhanced driver's license she is okay to cross back and forth freely with no risk. There is always going to the risk of getting that one border officer that thinks the K1 should be used. But, since she'll likely be driving and you live close to the border, it wouldn't be the end of the world to turn back.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Edited by Rob & Monika

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.