Sarah Grace

going to pursue CR-1, live with him abroad (not in his home country). how will this affect the visa process

139 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Ok I just said we are going to go for the K-1 visa, which means we won't be getting married during my trip. I will file the petition of the K-1 after my trip. So yeah, i would have met him within the last two years by the time I file. And I just said in my last post, since we are going for the K-1, I will not be living with him. I won't live with him if I'm not married to him. Kindly read my post before replying.

The Catch 22 in all this is that if you don't spend significant time together in person, that makes your evidence of bona fide relationship pretty slim. If YOUR concern is for the parents to meet your fiancee before marriage, a failed K1 process won't accomplish that. Your chances of obtaining a visa for him are far greater if you live together for some significant time. If for you, that means marriage first, then great.

Why does HE want to take the K1 route?

For your residence together to be in SA instead of Nigeria, (big difference) obviously, you will BOTH need the appropriate visas.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Please take a friend with you on your first visit.

Please don't go alone!

Americans that travel to South Africa and Nigeria

get kidnapped, rape, and beheaded and not necessarily

in that order in this area of the world. Just watch

the news!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8668615.stm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jun/05/south-africa-violence-foreigners

Edited by Adriene H

I-130

2011-08-20 Posted

2011-08-31 NOA1

2011-09-03 Touch

2011-11-18 Sent Expedite Request to USCIS

2011-12-09 Response Received for Exepedite Request

"Wait your turn" in a nutshell

2011-12-02 Sent Expedite Request to US Representative Ed Royce

2012-01-27 Sent Expedite Request to Immigration Ombudsman

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Barbara Boxer

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Dianne Feinstein

2012-03-08 Case transferred to field office for additional processing

2012-03-23 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-05-10 Transferred to another office for processing

2012-05-14 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-06-05 Approved NOA2

2012-07-17 NVC Case/Invoice # Received

Petitioner: US Born Citizen (Wife)

Beneficiary: British Born Citizen (Husband)

Your I-130 was approved in 279 days from your NOA1 date

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

No one has suggested him coming to the US, is that an option? Since the plan is for him to come to live it seems that he should travel here?????

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

No one has suggested him coming to the US, is that an option? Since the plan is for him to come to live it seems that he should travel here?????

It's almost impossible for him to visit the US, especially if he says "To visit my 20 year old girlfriend".

Americans that travel to South Africa and Nigeria

get kidnapped, rape, and beheaded and not necessarily

in that order in this area of the world.

That's a pretty big blanket statement. How about the thousands that travel there (myself included) who safely return, only happier to have seen some of the most beautiful scenery available on the Earth?

A quote from your own source (BBC article):

"In blunt terms, areas with problems have murder levels that can be wildly above the national average. "

While yes, the rate of crime is high, the rules one follows to maintain personal safety in Africa are the same rules one would follow in any part of the world.

Rule Number 1 = Stay out of high crime areas.

USCIS Stage

February 17th, 2012 - NOA1 Email

March 1st, 2012 - NOA2 Email (USC residing abroad)

NVC Stage

March 12th 2012 - Received

March 21st, 2012 - Case Number received

April 20th, 2012 - Case Closed

May 1st, 2012 - Interview scheduled

Embassy

May 29th, 2012 - Interview - Approved!

June 6th, 2012 - Passport with visa delivered

July 29th, 2012 - POE together in Houston

August 6th, 2012 - Social Security Card Received

August 16th, 2012 - Green Card Received

Timeline

It's almost impossible for him to visit the US, especially if he says "To visit my 20 year old girlfriend".

Thanks, I'm not familiar with visas for that country. I just hope that she's not being scamed. I have heard that it happens alot from Africa.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Do 3 or 4 trips and then take a view as to what you want to do next.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Thanks, I'm not familiar with visas for that country. I just hope that she's not being scamed. I have heard that it happens alot from Africa.

The fact that they're already talking US visas makes it look not very well intentioned, but hey maybe I'm wrong. Best thing she can do is visit him first, hopefully not alone.

Timeline

I agree, I met my wife twice before getting married. The OP mentioned that they have been dating 10 months without meeting, and in my opinion unless you've actually met I wouldn't condsider this as dating. Getting to know each ohter, yes. But not dating....meaning that you are actively spending time with that person in person!

Timeline

That's a pretty big blanket statement. How about the thousands that travel there (myself included) who safely return, only happier to have seen some of the most beautiful scenery available on the Earth?

A quote from your own source (BBC article):

"In blunt terms, areas with problems have murder levels that can be wildly above the national average. "

While yes, the rate of crime is high, the rules one follows to maintain personal safety in Africa are the same rules one would follow in any part of the world.

Rule Number 1 = Stay out of high crime areas.

Of course it's a beautiful country. But a young single 20 year old woman, alone, is easy pickings for crime just about anywhere. Even in safer areas.

Yep, I made 5 trips to Ecuador to see my then girlfriend to see how we were together. Skype is not enough. You think you can argue with somebody through Skype, wait till you do it in person hahaha.

I've made 4 more trips since filing the I-129F, and they still help to see that I indeed want to spend my life with her...

My point resonates with everybody else's, you need to spend time together before making life-long decisions. Pleas, make a few trips there and see how you guys are... Together.

Best of luck to you!

Fernando & Michelle

12/05/2011 - Mailed I-129F
12/09/2011 - Received NOA1
12/21/2011 - Last updated by USCIS
04/12/2012 - Approved!
05/08/2012 - NVC received
05/09/2012 - Left NVC
05/14/2012 - Received at Consulate
06/25/2012 - Interview at Consulate, APPROVED!!!!
07/07/2012 - POE at JFK, easy.

09/28/2012 - Mailed I-485
11/09/2012 - Appointment for Biometrics
12/08/2012 - EAD and AP Card arrived in mail. No updates to USCIS website.
07/26/2013 - Approved, no interview.

04/30/2015 - Mailed I-751

06/03/2015 - Appointment for Biometrics

02/29/2016 - Approved, no interview.

03/14/2016 - Received 10-year Card

My parents lived in SA for the last 11 years and I visited 5 times; 2 of which on extended stay for 90 days or more.

You will be able to obtain a 90 day entry in to SA. It is not a visa it is an Exemption and the idea is you intend to stay 90 days or less. Then you MUST leave the country. But you can often just cross the broader for a week and then go back on another 90 day visa.

They usually ask to see proof of support ie your bank account and will absolutely expect to see a return ticket.

And on a second return closely on the heels of the first there is more scrutiny.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.