Sarah Grace

going to pursue CR-1, live with him abroad (not in his home country). how will this affect the visa process

139 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello. I'm Sarah, I live in Virginia, United States. I'm 20, currently live with my parents, and am unemployed.

My boyfriend, Mike, is from Lagos, Nigeria, but he currently lives in Pretoria, South Africa. He's 26, and he's working on getting his work permit.

We have been dating online for 10 months now, and we're planning to meet for the first time in August, in SA, then fly up to Nigeria to get married. After we get married, I will file for a CR-1. I wanted then to live with Mike in SA until the visa goes through. How will my living abroad change things? Am I better off just spending a few months with my husband so I can come home and set things up here?

Ok now, some proof I've thought things through:

I checked out travelers' insurance. "MAGELLAN". The best package covers medical expenses, emergencies, return plane fare for a family member to visit if you're in the hospital, emergency repatriation, document translation ... it looks like a really good deal. I'll go over it with my dad to see what he thinks.

Living together would be good proof of the legitimacy of our relationship. He could add my name to his bank account. And when I got back to the States, I could add his name to my bank account. Then rent an apartment. (Living with my parents after I'm married wouldn't look good to immigration ;) there's no room in the house for one more person)

Well maybe I just answered my own question... but I'm posting this anyway, in case someone has some advice to share.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Unless your parents are supportive enough to be co sponsor you you will need to be earning enough to bring him here. Unless you have experience in living in another country it can be eye opening. Make sure to register with the embassy there.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Country: Poland
Timeline

Unless your parents are supportive enough to be co sponsor you you will need to be earning enough to bring him here. Unless you have experience in living in another country it can be eye opening. Make sure to register with the embassy there.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello. I'm Sarah, I live in Virginia, United States. I'm 20, currently live with my parents, and am unemployed.

My boyfriend, Mike, is from Lagos, Nigeria, but he currently lives in Pretoria, South Africa. He's 26, and he's working on getting his work permit.

We have been dating online for 10 months now, and we're planning to meet for the first time in August, in SA, then fly up to Nigeria to get married. After we get married, I will file for a CR-1. I wanted then to live with Mike in SA until the visa goes through. How will my living abroad change things? Am I better off just spending a few months with my husband so I can come home and set things up here?

Ok now, some proof I've thought things through:

I checked out travelers' insurance. "MAGELLAN". The best package covers medical expenses, emergencies, return plane fare for a family member to visit if you're in the hospital, emergency repatriation, document translation ... it looks like a really good deal. I'll go over it with my dad to see what he thinks.

Living together would be good proof of the legitimacy of our relationship. He could add my name to his bank account. And when I got back to the States, I could add his name to my bank account. Then rent an apartment. (Living with my parents after I'm married wouldn't look good to immigration ;) there's no room in the house for one more person)

Well maybe I just answered my own question... but I'm posting this anyway, in case someone has some advice to share.

You should do a lot of reading here on VJ to prepare for the process. Especially marrying a Nigerian national the first time that you meet face to face. Regardless of your belief that this is a true, loving relationship the process is going to be difficult.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

I met Mike on facebook last July. My parents approve of him. I do need to talk to them about cosponsorship.

I've been thinking long and hard about this. As for the concern about how I have everything planned out... how could I not? I like to plan things to the detail. And I think it helps me be more prepared for what will happen. This is only tentative. (Case in point --talking to Mike right now about which visa to go for... plans may change)

And I know things are going to be difficult. The rest of my lfe is not going to be easy. Mike and I will both be dealing with major changes.

Hmm up until now Mike had let me decide which path to take. Bu during our current conversation, I asked him what he wanted. He wants to go for the K-1 visa, since my parents really wanted to meet him before we marry. And now that I think about it, that sounds like a good idea.

I'll be reading through posts on this site to learn all I can. Thanks for the quick answers

Timeline

K1 will likely be more difficult than the spouse visa given the short period of time from initial meeting to petition filing. Lagos is considered the toughest embassy to obtain a visa due to a long history of fraudulent petitions.

So be VERY VERY prepared. This is an entirely new experience for you and what seems like "normal" rules do not apply. At his interview he is going to have to convince a very skeptical consular officer that you have a legitimate, long term relationship.

There are many VJ members with Lagos experience. Give their input a lot of consideration moving forward.

Best of luck.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Have you gotten the proper visas for both countries ? To have a resident visa you will need police reports and medical. You will also want to worry about malaria medication for your travels. If your fiance doesn't have valid residence in South Africa he will be interviewing in Nigeria ( or another country that he has residence in ) If you intend to live with him you need a residence permit for where ever you will be living.

I have friends on facebook, ladies who married or are dating Nigerian men. They've been a big help already; I understand the culture a little better.

When I thought I might be staying with Mike, I started checking out visas for SA. But now that we decided to go for the K-1, I will not be living with him. Right now Mike is in SA on a visitor visa I think. He needs to get a work permit.

I know about the meds. I will get those taken care of. And the Nigeria visitor visa. I'm waiting for an insurance settlement that I'm using to pay for my trip.

Timeline

I have friends on facebook, ladies who married or are dating Nigerian men. They've been a big help already; I understand the culture a little better.

When I thought I might be staying with Mike, I started checking out visas for SA. But now that we decided to go for the K-1, I will not be living with him. Right now Mike is in SA on a visitor visa I think. He needs to get a work permit.

I know about the meds. I will get those taken care of. And the Nigeria visitor visa. I'm waiting for an insurance settlement that I'm using to pay for my trip.

I know the face book group I left it long ago. I didn't like their motives and their lies.

Edited by NigeriaorBust

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Okay don't be offended, but...

You're going to another country to marry a guy you haven't met yet. Do you see where this can go wrong?

A K-1 visa requires that you've met IN PERSON within the last two years. So unless you fly out there to meet him it's a no go right now (maybe I've missed something but from my understanding, you haven't met in person yet?).

Have you ever lived abroad? Because I moved abroad in part to be with my husband, and I had already lived abroad in other countries, but spending a long time here has been one the most challenging things I've ever done. So think long and hard before moving to South Africa or Nigeria. It won't be easy. And no matter how much you research; it'll still be harder once you're there.

Also, Lagos is perhaps the most difficult embassy in the world. Do you see the comments on this thread? A consular officer will be MUCH MORE DIFFICULT to you and your fiance. This kind of "we've never met before and will marry when we meet" thing would be difficult in an easy consulate, in Nigeria, I don't even know. Please think this through, meet first, maybe even more than once, gather up evidence, then apply. If you apply now it'll be very difficult.

Okay don't be offended, but...

You're going to another country to marry a guy you haven't met yet. Do you see where this can go wrong?

A K-1 visa requires that you've met IN PERSON within the last two years. So unless you fly out there to meet him it's a no go right now (maybe I've missed something but from my understanding, you haven't met in person yet?).

Have you ever lived abroad? Because I moved abroad in part to be with my husband, and I had already lived abroad in other countries, but spending a long time here has been one the most challenging things I've ever done. So think long and hard before moving to South Africa or Nigeria. It won't be easy. And no matter how much you research; it'll still be harder once you're there.

Also, Lagos is perhaps the most difficult embassy in the world. Do you see the comments on this thread? A consular officer will be MUCH MORE DIFFICULT to you and your fiance. This kind of "we've never met before and will marry when we meet" thing would be difficult in an easy consulate, in Nigeria, I don't even know. Please think this through, meet first, maybe even more than once, gather up evidence, then apply. If you apply now it'll be very difficult.

Ok I just said we are going to go for the K-1 visa, which means we won't be getting married during my trip. I will file the petition of the K-1 after my trip. So yeah, i would have met him within the last two years by the time I file. And I just said in my last post, since we are going for the K-1, I will not be living with him. I won't live with him if I'm not married to him. Kindly read my post before replying.

Timeline

Ok I just said we are going to go for the K-1 visa, which means we won't be getting married during my trip. I will file the petition of the K-1 after my trip. So yeah, i would have met him within the last two years by the time I file. And I just said in my last post, since we are going for the K-1, I will not be living with him. I won't live with him if I'm not married to him. Kindly read my post before replying.

Is he a legal resident of South Africa?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.