rosajo

Anyone visit the US for a full 3 months during processing?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Looking up old threads on the subject of visiting a spouse during the visa processing, it seems no one has gone over to stay for longer than a couple of weeks. I'd like to go visit my husband this summer for three months while my kid is out of school. I'm a student and am taking a couple of distance classes this summer. I'm not sure if it's more difficult to prove intent to return when staying for a full 3 months. Anyone done this?

As for bringing proof of my intent to return to Sweden, I have a rental that I will keep while away. I don't work, but have applied for a university program starting this fall. Acceptance isn't till July 12 however, so couldn't bring proof of that. I'll have a return ticket for me and my two sons (both are US citizens, but since I'm their main caretaker I'm assuming that having tix for them as well is good for showing intent to return).

Any insight and advice?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Looking up old threads on the subject of visiting a spouse during the visa processing, it seems no one has gone over to stay for longer than a couple of weeks. I'd like to go visit my husband this summer for three months while my kid is out of school. I'm a student and am taking a couple of distance classes this summer. I'm not sure if it's more difficult to prove intent to return when staying for a full 3 months. Anyone done this?

As for bringing proof of my intent to return to Sweden, I have a rental that I will keep while away. I don't work, but have applied for a university program starting this fall. Acceptance isn't till July 12 however, so couldn't bring proof of that. I'll have a return ticket for me and my two sons (both are US citizens, but since I'm their main caretaker I'm assuming that having tix for them as well is good for showing intent to return).

Any insight and advice?

My fiance and I sent our Application in September and he came here and stayed from October (I think it was) through January with no issue. He brought his rental agreement, bank statement, return ticket, plus a statement from his Dr. stating pretty much that he was diabetic and had enough medicine for x amount of time and that he would HAVE to come back because of that reason. He had an issue crossing once before, where they took him into secondary and told him next time he crossed he would have to have certain items and gave him a list. This time they took him in and he gave him the binder with all the info and they didn't even bother looking at it. Just asked a couple questions and let him go on his way.

AOS Journey

04/05/2013 - Submitted I-485, I-763, I-131

04/10/2013 - NOA for all submitted forms

04/15/2013 - Biometrics Appointment Scheduled

05/10/2013 - Biometrics Appointment

K1 Journey

09/20/2011 - Submitted I-129F

09/23/2011 - NOA1 (as dated on hard copy received on 09/30/2011 )

01/06/2012 - NOA2 (Your I-129f was approved in 105 days from your NOA1 date.)

01/24/2012 - Petition Arrived at NVC and given MTL Case#

01/26/2012 - Petition Sent to Montreal Consulate

02/03/2012 - Consulate Mailed Packet 3

02/17/2012 - Returned Packet 3 to Consulate

02/27/2012 - RFE for Packet 3

03/14/2012 - Information for RFE sent to Consulate

03/20/2012 - Packet 4

04/24/2012 - Interview at Montreal Consulate (Your interview took 214 days from your I129-F NOA1 date.)

05/22/2012 - Rescheduled Interview at Montreal Consulate (silly us for waiting so long on going to get the criminal check; don't think it will be in on time for the interview so we just went ahead and rescheduled when we saw there was a date open) - APPROVED!

09/23/2012 - Jordan arrived on K1 Visa via Pearson in Toronto

10/19/2012 - Gettin' Married!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I stayed for 3 months while waiting for approval of my K3 visa. I brought with me the current notice of action from USCIS to show we were doing this legally, a lease for my place I was living, a letter from where I volunteered stating the date I was expected to return, my anticipated school schedule for the following semester even though I wasn't registered yet (Can you print it off from your school site?) I also tucked my return ticket into my passport, so when they asked for my passport they already knew I planned on returning and when. I don't know if that helped any but I didn't get asked any questions.

I also got told by the border when I first started this whole process to pack light so it doesn't look like you plan on staying. I know for 3 months you would like to take everything but it just isn't possible to have everything and look like you plan on returning. I am also from Canada and had been doing frequent trips all along so maybe I had built up some 'credit' with them because I always went back.

It is always risky. Hope that helped!

Brandi

K-3 Visa Interview Date : 2009-10-19 Approved POE: 2009-10-28 Emerson ND

See time-line or Profile for more info

EAD

2010-06-07: Date Filed

2010-10-16: EAD in hand!

2010-10-23: SSN Received in normal post!!

AoS- Chicago Lock Box

2010-10-18(Day 1): Mailed again :)

2011-03-17(Day 159): Interview - Review file response

2011-03-18(Day 160): Card production email/text for Green Card!

2011-03-21(Day 163): Welcome to USA letter received

2011-03-22(Day 164): Another text for card production! Start printing GC?

2011-03-23(Day 165): Text/email moving into post decision activity! Mail GC?

2011-03-26(Day 168): GC in hand and done for 3-10 years depending on the citizenship decision...Still unsure!

N400 - Dallas Lock box

2017-02-13(Day 1): Finally made the decision to apply for citizenship. Package went in mail

2017-02-16(Day 4): 1st NOA "went background checks are complete interview will be scheduled" no mention of Biometrics

2017-03-03(Day 15) Biometrics letter arrives scheduled for 2017-03-13 Might try a walk in earlier

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Thanks both of you for sharing your experiences--I'm hopeful now that we can go!

I have a good history also of always returning. Prior to living there permanently I visited a few times for a full three months and always returned on time. Not sure if they keep such old records (15 years), but one can always hope. First time I went there I got pulled in and was questioned for well over an hour! I was told later that the Minneapolis POE is much more difficult, so I might try and get a flight to Chicago instead.

What exactly do you mean by school schedule? Like a weekly schedule for the different classes? I looked at my program's site and I couldn't see anything that looked like it, but perhaps I can ask.

Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Do you have a yearly plan for school or is it just courses you are interested in? I actually had all my years laid out for me as to what I would take and when. Year 1 courses year 2 courses and the like. It wouldn't be hard to put something like that together to support your evidence and actually it helped me with classes. I didn't have to stress last minute what I was going to take and would it count towards graduating.

K-3 Visa Interview Date : 2009-10-19 Approved POE: 2009-10-28 Emerson ND

See time-line or Profile for more info

EAD

2010-06-07: Date Filed

2010-10-16: EAD in hand!

2010-10-23: SSN Received in normal post!!

AoS- Chicago Lock Box

2010-10-18(Day 1): Mailed again :)

2011-03-17(Day 159): Interview - Review file response

2011-03-18(Day 160): Card production email/text for Green Card!

2011-03-21(Day 163): Welcome to USA letter received

2011-03-22(Day 164): Another text for card production! Start printing GC?

2011-03-23(Day 165): Text/email moving into post decision activity! Mail GC?

2011-03-26(Day 168): GC in hand and done for 3-10 years depending on the citizenship decision...Still unsure!

N400 - Dallas Lock box

2017-02-13(Day 1): Finally made the decision to apply for citizenship. Package went in mail

2017-02-16(Day 4): 1st NOA "went background checks are complete interview will be scheduled" no mention of Biometrics

2017-03-03(Day 15) Biometrics letter arrives scheduled for 2017-03-13 Might try a walk in earlier

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.