MikesGC

NOA- Need 1 yr extension explanation?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hello All,

We had filed the I-751 for removing conditions on my husband's green card on July 21st, 2011. I was always under the impression that the 1 yr extension is from the date the green card expired, but I just called USCIS and the lady told me the 1 yr extension is from the date of the NOA, which is 07/21/11, which means my husband's legal status expires on 07/21/12!! I am expecting the approval letter any day since they are processing July cases now, but I dont know how long should we wait before making an Infopass appointment for another extension just in case....since the Vermont SC is soooooo slow. Anybody had any experience about this situation please let me know? What should we do now?? ....WORRIED :-(

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hello All,

We had filed the I-751 for removing conditions on my husband's green card on July 21st, 2011. I was always under the impression that the 1 yr extension is from the date the green card expired, but I just called USCIS and the lady told me the 1 yr extension is from the date of the NOA, which is 07/21/11, which means my husband's legal status expires on 07/21/12!! I am expecting the approval letter any day since they are processing July cases now, but I dont know how long should we wait before making an Infopass appointment for another extension just in case....since the Vermont SC is soooooo slow. Anybody had any experience about this situation please let me know? What should we do now?? ....WORRIED :-(

if you try to make an infopass they will tell you that they are processing cases from July 4th, as it shows on their website. I will give it until end of May and hopefully you will hear something by then! good luck.

event.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will wait until may end. If I dont hear anything by then, I will take an infopass appointment in June, dont want to wait until July.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello All,

Make an infopass 30 days before his extension expires IF you do not have the new green card by then

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Lol... the "misinformation line" strikes again! Why would he need a one-year extension on a card that hasn't expired? He doesn't. The letter states his status is extended for one year. This means one year from it's expiration, not from the date of the letter (or that's what the letter would say). If you were to go in for an INFOPASS because you didn't get your NOA1 (some people don't) they would give you an i-551 stamp that has an expiration date one year from the date your GC expires... that is proof alone that your expiration date is extended for one year.

If you're worried though get an I-551 stamp. Always better to be safe than sorry :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

I'd recommend to make infopass earlier than the last minutes come. So you don't need to be worry and it would be safe than to be waiting.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Lol... the "misinformation line" strikes again! Why would he need a one-year extension on a card that hasn't expired? He doesn't. The letter states his status is extended for one year. This means one year from it's expiration, not from the date of the letter (or that's what the letter would say). If you were to go in for an INFOPASS because you didn't get your NOA1 (some people don't) they would give you an i-551 stamp that has an expiration date one year from the date your GC expires... that is proof alone that your expiration date is extended for one year.

If you're worried though get an I-551 stamp. Always better to be safe than sorry :)

This is an excellent point and I missed that. They cannot "extend" an unexpired card. The extension is valid for one year past the expiration of the card.

The pretty obvious detail here is that since people file their renewals (ROCs) anywhere from 90 days before until the last day...does anyone seriously think you get "punished" with less time for filing promptly?

The telephone operators do not work for USCIS are not adequately trained but that does not stop them from making up answers

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.