doodlebug

So...didja ride a camel when you were there?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I don't think I've asked this yet but how many of you rode a camel when you visited your middle eastern SO? I can't wait to have my picture taken on top of a camel! :lol:

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Ah, I'll post my camel advice here too :whistle:

Ah, see, I even have camel advice for you. Camel riding around the pyramids is a must for any tourist. Wander around the streets next to the pyramid and find a shop that advertises camel rides. Get your camels through them. Expect to pay an up front price, plus baksheesh (a tip) for the people who get you the camels and the little boys who will lead the camels. While you wander through the desert on the camel, you'll come across people selling soda. I wouldn't buy one, since they come in glass bottles. Also don't try to buy them for your little guides. My parents tried, and they refused. Which brings me to another tip - always drink water, juice and soda from plastic bottles. Glass ones are refilled, and can be of sketchy quality.

If you view the pyramids on foot, you will inevitably be accosted by several men offering you camel rides. These are usually way overpriced, and they're not suppose to be harrassing tourists on site. You'll also find men wanting to show you "secret" or "hidden" tombs, in exchange for hefty baksheesh of course. Ignore them, they're not suppose to be harrassing the tourists.

It is also much cheaper to go to these tourists sites if you're egyptian or the wife of an egyptian. I guess you could carry around a copy of your marriage certificate and let your husband argue with the gate people that you should get the cheaper rate

For more on baksheesh, check out this article.

Special edition for this thread only - don't climb on the pyramids. You'll get yelled at by the policemen on camels with big scary guns. As I type this, I can look at the picture on my desk of my husband and I, sitting on the pyramids next to a "don't climb" sign :lol:

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Mt friend and I were going to, my husband flat refused. When I got up close to them they smelled so bad that I almost threw up. Plus I was worried I would never get the smell off of me. :lol:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I wanna go to Egypt :( My inlaws went last year and haven't stopped talking about it yet!!

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I don't think I've asked this yet but how many of you rode a camel when you visited your middle eastern SO? I can't wait to have my picture taken on top of a camel! :lol:

Not in the middle east, but north africa. I didn't actually ride it but we were on the beach and a man was walking a small camel around, camera in hand, for the soul purpose of tourists. Even my husband who has lived there all of his life has never been on a camel. Well I got on, which wasn't easy cuz I have weak skinny little arms, and there was no place to put my feet. My husband had to lift me by my foot. I managed to get on to the camel, but because of his hump I didn't feel either comfortable or safe! They took a picture, and my husband wanted a second one. At the moment he took the picture the camel reached his head to one side towards my foot. I pretty much freaked out and thought he was going to bite me! Turned out he had an itch he was scratching.

That picture turned out pretty funny, but nothing compared to the one my husband took of me on the horse. The owner had it rear up, and it was a lot higher than I expected. My husband snapped the picture at the perfect moment. The look on my face spoke volumns! We decided to have that one framed!

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: Timeline

This is my camel story...

I didn't want to ride a camel cuz I'm just not an animal riding kinda gal. I did want my pic taken next to a camel. A camel guy came up to us and asked if we wanted to ride the camel so I told Mohamed about my desire to have a pic with the camel but not on the camel. The man asked if I wanted to just sit on the camel. I said I guess that would be ok but under NO circumstances should this camel be able to stand up and move. Mohamed told this to the man. I get on the camel and the man tells me to hold onto to the saddle thingy for the pic. So I do. He made the camel stand up!!! I freaked out! Mohamed started yelling at the guy and telling him to make me down. The man wouldn't listen. Mohamed grabbed him by the neck of his shirt and screamed in his face to make me down now! The camel sat back down, I got off, Mohamed took my hand and we walked away. Mohamed was mumbling something and said..I'm not paying him for that. So that was our fun camel experience.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I rode a camel and had some pics taken... they are some of my fave pics! The one I was on didn't smell bad - I recommend being in pants/jeans, tho... I was in a long skirt and it was tricky getting up & down in a skirt :P I'll see if I can post a pic!

Met briefly in Baton Rouge, LA Nov. 2003 - not available :(

Met again in Baton Rouge, LA March 25, 2005 - 2 souls feel as 1

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

Daily phonecalls, discover internet chatting w/ video cam - OMG!!!

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

April 24, 2006- mailed in K1 Visa package - TSC

Oct 5, 2006 - Interview SUCCESS

Oct 12, 2006 - Called to pick up visa tomorrow!

Oct. 16, 2006 VISA IN HAND!

Dec. 24, 2006 - Said arrives in NOLA, just in time for the holidaze!

Dec. 31, 2006 - OUR WEDDING!!! Ringing in a New Year as husband & wife!

Jan 8, 2007 - applied for SSN

Jan 15, 2007 - recieved SSN

Feb 6, 2007 - checks cashed for AOS/EAD/AP - YAY!

Feb 8, 2007 - NOA1 on AOS/EAD/AP

Feb 14, 07 - touched EAD/AP

March 8, 07 - Biometrics appt in NOLA

April 17, 07 - AP approved

April 19, 07 - EAD approved

glitter_maker_12_25_2006_00_00_12_97213.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I rode a camel and had some pics taken... they are some of my fave pics! The one I was on didn't smell bad - I recommend being in pants/jeans, tho... I was in a long skirt and it was tricky getting up & down in a skirt :P I'll see if I can post a pic!

Your pics are so small again! :(

Timeline
Mt friend and I were going to, my husband flat refused. When I got up close to them they smelled so bad that I almost threw up. Plus I was worried I would never get the smell off of me. :lol:

Funny, I wanted NOOOO part of the camel after a guy stuck a stinking monkey right on my head! After that when asked if I wanted to go to the camels I said "you got the wrong girl baby"

*Met Online 3/11/05

*Met in person 3/11/06

*NOA1 5/1/06

*Imbra RFE received by CSC 7/18/06

*NOA2 8/10/06

*9/28/06 Packet Received

*10/11/06 Interview Success

Timeline

Your pics are so small again! :(

trying again.... dang!!! still small - don't what to do abt it.... if you really want to see them (and others) PM me and I'll invite you to my snapfish album!

Edited by noura

Met briefly in Baton Rouge, LA Nov. 2003 - not available :(

Met again in Baton Rouge, LA March 25, 2005 - 2 souls feel as 1

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

Daily phonecalls, discover internet chatting w/ video cam - OMG!!!

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

April 24, 2006- mailed in K1 Visa package - TSC

Oct 5, 2006 - Interview SUCCESS

Oct 12, 2006 - Called to pick up visa tomorrow!

Oct. 16, 2006 VISA IN HAND!

Dec. 24, 2006 - Said arrives in NOLA, just in time for the holidaze!

Dec. 31, 2006 - OUR WEDDING!!! Ringing in a New Year as husband & wife!

Jan 8, 2007 - applied for SSN

Jan 15, 2007 - recieved SSN

Feb 6, 2007 - checks cashed for AOS/EAD/AP - YAY!

Feb 8, 2007 - NOA1 on AOS/EAD/AP

Feb 14, 07 - touched EAD/AP

March 8, 07 - Biometrics appt in NOLA

April 17, 07 - AP approved

April 19, 07 - EAD approved

glitter_maker_12_25_2006_00_00_12_97213.gif

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Can ya make 'em bigger? They look so cool!!!!!

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Nope I didn't. I don't do camels.... they are too tall and I'm scared of heights. They also don't look very stable although I'm sure they are I just don't think I'd feel secure on top of one.

Yousuf wanted me to ride one and I wouldn't... he didn't either LOL... I was beginning to consider it and he found two kids getting on one and told me to watch it and see how easy it is... I was like OK... so they got on it and they were laughing and stuff and then the animal stood up and they started screaming and crying and begging their dad to get them down... I just gave Yousuf my 'don't even think about it' look... he laughed and told the man we'll take horses instead and that was the end of that :lol:

Mohammed is absolutely terrified of camels. I posted my "camel stuff" in the other thread. Anyone heard the tales of the "trained camels"? The ones that bolt with unsuspecting tourists, run off a certain distance from the pyramids, dump their commuter and then mosey on back to their owners? The owners then throw a hissy accusing the tourist of losing their very expensive animal and demanding restitution. Happened to 2 people I know, so I would advise not taking rides from the guys that Rahma talked about, but from an established stand.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Mohammed is absolutely terrified of camels. I posted my "camel stuff" in the other thread. Anyone heard the tales of the "trained camels"? The ones that bolt with unsuspecting tourists, run off a certain distance from the pyramids, dump their commuter and then mosey on back to their owners? The owners then throw a hissy accusing the tourist of losing their very expensive animal and demanding restitution. Happened to 2 people I know, so I would advise not taking rides from the guys that Rahma talked about, but from an established stand.

if the camel was really well trained, it would run several miles and dump them next to a taxi owned by the brother of the camel owner :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.