Roosterwife

What do you do when your driving licence expires?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

This is one thing we can blame on the illegal aliens. We are just now seeing the effects of the Real ID Act passed by the US Congress. My license renewal just came in the mail from TXDoT. It used to be a simple matter of renewing it via snail mail or e-mail. Those days have changed. Now I have to show up in person and present proof of valid Social Security number to get my license renewed. And I was born in the USA! I never had to do this before.

My wife also had problems when transitioning from a TX state ID (I got her before we married and she was a K-1) to TX driver's license (she got after we were married). The TXDoT threatened to revoke her driver's license because her Social Security number that she got as a K-1 fiancee still was in her maiden name. We had to present a load of documents to TXDoT just to get the license in her married name and weeks later they found the name discrepancy and sent the threatening letter. So we had to go up to the Social Security Administration with a load of documents to get her name straightened out on her Social Security card. And then back to TXDoT to get the driver's license straightened out.

For most people doing things the legal way this added inconvenience may be a pain in the azz, but in the long run it is best for our country. Most legal immigrants should be able to do things without problems or with minor ones. We can't stop illegals at the border (fence or not), but this will make it a lot tougher to live the easy life as an illegal alien on equal terms with legal immigrants. That is only fair for folks that do things the legal way.

Here is a link about The Real ID Act.

http://news.com.com/FAQ+How+Real+ID+will+a..._3-5697111.html

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.