Lyric

Need some more advice and help if you can.

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am so beyond exhausted right now, I can barely think straight. I have talked to someone who has done visa work for 20 years, my congressman's office (in person, not that it did any good) and an immigration attorney. Unless my fiance decides that he, for whatever reason,still wants to come here then we will be postponing the interview for about 3 or 4 months if they'll allow it. I don't know why they wouldn't, considering the circumstances.

So now, that leaves me with contemplating what I'm going to do about visiting him in Canada. I'm hoping some of you might be able to shed some light on this for me. I still don't have enough insight into what exactly is going on with his illness and treatment but I'm trying to figure out what I need to do ahead of time and be ready to go at the last minute if necessary. This is where I need some help.

I'm thinking that if I end up being there for longer than 3 months it would probably be a good idea for me to take my car and just drive there. I'm kind of nervous about not having my own transportation with me. Does anyone have any clue about how big of a deal it is having a car licensed in your home state and being out of the country for possibly half the year or maybe longer and not being a LPR in Canada?

My lease on my apartment is up in three months and I hate the thought of wasting all that money for nothing and I have no one to take over the lease. Shouldn't I just see if the landlord will let me out of it, explaining the dire circumstances? As far as a "U.S. address" should I just use a friend's until I know more about what we're going to do? I just don't know. I don't really have the extra money to go up there by plane last minute, which is a HUGE chunk of money, then turn around and go back by car. I'd rather just go and plan to be gone for a few months, and have everything here squared away as much as possible so that I have less to worry about once I get there . Then again, I don't want to get up there having next to no proof of ties to the U.S. and to show that I plan on coming back here. I mean, I plan on coming back but I just don't know what's going to happen at this point. sigh.

Any advice? :(

1/28/06 Sent I-129 to TSC

2/08/06 Received NOA1

4/24/06 NOA 2 online

5/01/06 NOA 2 Received in the mail

5/11/06 Case Received at NVC

6/01/06 Packet 3 Received

6/28/06 Packet 3 Sent to Montreal

10/26/06 Interview date - POSTPONED :(

01/25/07 Interview Postponed.....again

11/01/07 Third and final Interview date allowed.

Timeline

It should not be a problem to take your car, though you may want to check with your insurance company to make sure they are ok with it. The Canadians wouldn't care I don't think.

Can't help you with the apt. situation, but where are you going to store your stuff? Would it be possible to sublet it?

Don't forget to look into obtaining some legal rights to be involved in the medical decision making, get married or get power of attorney.

Good luck with all this, Lyric, we are all rooting for you and hoping for the best possible outcome.

Linda

K-1/K-2 Visas

April 20 2006 ~NOA1

July 05 2006 ~IMBRA RFE

Aug 14 2006 ~RFE (further proof of meeting)

Aug 18 2006 ~Approved NOA2 (Day 120)

Oct 10 2006 ~packet 4 received

Nov 14 2006 ~Montreal interview (expedited due to child aging out) SUCCESS :)

Nov 15 2006 ~Pick up visas

Nov 16 2006 ~Fly to San Francisco from Mtl

Nov 18 2006 ~Wedding

AOS/EAD/AP

Dec 18 2006 ~Documents filed

Dec 22 2006 ~NOA1

Jan 10 2007 ~Biometrics appointment

Mar 07 2007 ~AOS interview San Francisco-SUCCESS :)

Mar 19 2007 ~Received Green Cards

I-130 for Daughter

July 28 2007 ~Documents filed

I don't think it will be possible for you to insure your car in Canada as you have no legal status, that being said, it would only make sense that as you are coming in as a visitor, then as long as you have a permanent address in the US then you should still be insurable under your current policy even though you are driving across the border. Good luck, Lyric - things seem to be making more sense for you now.

Mo

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Timeline

I have no clue about how subletting works, really. I mean, do I move my stuff out and someone takes over the lease while I'm gone or how does that work? I did just find out that a storage company very close to where I live will store my stuff on a month to month basis for $50 per month. That sounds pretty reasonable to me. I don't know if anyone I know has room to store what furniture and stuff that I have. I don't have that much, but still it would take up a lot of space.

Maybe I'm jumping ahead about the apartment but there's just no way for me to afford to keep paying for it with no money coming in.

Believe me. I am working on trying to get the rights to be able to discuss the medical with his doctors. It's just up to him to get the letter to her :( That's a totally different story.

And what about access to my money? Should I leave as much of it as possible in my account and then just use an atm card to withdraw it when necessary? I would think the fees for that would get expensive. Or maybe I should just use my credit card and just pay the balance off every month?

sigh. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to have to spend the least amount of money while I'm there.

All your suggestions are appreciated. I need all the help I can get :(

1/28/06 Sent I-129 to TSC

2/08/06 Received NOA1

4/24/06 NOA 2 online

5/01/06 NOA 2 Received in the mail

5/11/06 Case Received at NVC

6/01/06 Packet 3 Received

6/28/06 Packet 3 Sent to Montreal

10/26/06 Interview date - POSTPONED :(

01/25/07 Interview Postponed.....again

11/01/07 Third and final Interview date allowed.

About accessing your money in Canada - what is your bank in the US? What bank does he use? please try not to get too overwhelmed by what you need to figure out - just keep asking questions of people. we're here to help as much as we can. You are both in my prayers.

-Eli-

K-1

March 24-06------I129F sent to NSC

March 27-06------NOA1

...5 Months of waiting b/c of IMBRA ridiculousness...

September 5-06--APPROVED!! 162 days!

September 09-06-Received NOA2

January 03-07----Medical and Interview in Vancouver - APPROVED!! 285 days from filing!

January 04-07----POE at Vancouver Int'l Airport

January 12-07----Wedding Day!

AOS & EAD

February 20-07---AOS, EAD sent to Chicago

February 27-07---NOA1

March 15-07------Biometrics Appointment

May 09-07------AOS Interview - Approved pending new sponsor.

June 11-07-------Approved & Green Card Issued

Removal of Conditions

May 11-09--------I-751 Sent via FedEx Overnight

May 15-09--------Receipt date on I-797

June 16-09-------Change of Address Confirmed

...one giant address change/biometrics fuxxup later...

July 28-09--------Biometrics taken (walk-in)

July 29-09--------Touched :)

August 13-09---APPROVAL EMAIL!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

For transferring money one can use customhouse.com Takes a few days to set up as you have to scan, then email proof of ID and banking info(secure email) (or snail mail, or fax) You can cal ltheir 1 800 # on their website and ask all the questions you want. Takes 3-4 business days to make an exchange. I use it from canada $$ to US $$$, but you can do it the other way around as well. Usually a better exchange rate than the bank.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Lyric

A few thoughts -

On the money issue, why not just use your ATM card when you need cash as well as your credit card. You can set up your credit card to pay online with direct debit from your checking account. I use my ATM card when I'm in Mexico with no additional fee from my bank and I have paid my credit card bills online for years. It's very simple to set up and easy to do.

On the apartment, depending on where you live, maybe you should consider subletting it furnished. I also did this a few years ago and it worked out great. I didn't care much about my furniture or stuff (and I removed any breakables or personal stuff but I also made a deal with the tenant that I could leave all my books on my bookshelf as well as some winter coats which made it even easier for me). If you don't think a furnished sublet will work, you should either get out of your lease now if possible or put your stuff in storage like you mentioned.

Once you contact the consulate I'm sure you'll find that they can extend his visa. This happened to someone else here several months ago and she needed to stay in Canada for treatment for 6 months - her visa was extended as far as I remember.

Do whatever you can to be there with him and best of luck to you both.

Timeline

1 can stil use their ATM card in Canada,just be prepared for a subpar exchange rate.

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

As a USC you may visit up to six months at a time. I take my truck vehicle there all the time, NO problem. Use my atm, no problem. It was my auto insurance I had to change to be conered in a foriegn country. Even my bc/bs is good for emergencies. Good luck, and hope your fiancee feels better soon.

K-3 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2002-09-28

I-130 Sent : 2004-06-01

I-130 NOA1 : 2004-06-29

Re-entry to U.S. Denied:2005-12-31

I-130 Approval : 2006-03-09

NVC Received : 2006-05-02

Your I-130 was approved in 646 days.

NVC Packet complete 2006-09-14

Interview : 2006-11-01

Visa: 2006-11-02

POE: 2006-11-02

Arrived at home: 2006-11-04

Welcome Letter: 2006-11-24

Filed: Other Timeline

You may want to get some money to carry with you when you're crossing the border. Border officials (on both sides) can be rather pernickety about people becoming bums once they enter the country. If you've got it, get a couple thousand in travellers cheques and then just put that money into your fiance's account and get his bank card (ATM) and pin from him.

ANY time I've gone to the US for more than a week at a time, they ALWAYS ask how much money I have on me. Having a bank card or credit card only is no good as far as they're concerned. What if it doesn't work? (which can happen!) then you have no access to cash. They want to know that you have money with you in your pocket at that very moment.

My husband was usually asked how much money he had on him when he was crossing into Canada anytime for more than a few days. He'd usually carry a wad of cash with him and he'd exchange his US for Canadian near the border.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Don't you think there might be a US bank that has a kind of cooperation with a Canadian bank so that taking money out of the ATM woulnd't cost fees.

I know that with Bank of America and a big German bank it doesn't cost fees to get cash...

If you live in a city with lots of students, subletting your place with all your furnitures should not be a problem, I think. Usually there's always someone there who needs stuff.

Good luck!

short history:

2001 - met in Germany

April 2003 - fell in love

Aug 2004 - go to the US for internship

Feb 2005 - both return to Germany

Aug 2006 - getting married

DCF timeline:

09/01/2006 - filed the petition in Frankfurt

09/06/2006 - medical in Frankfurt

09/26/2006 - faxed checklist

10/05/2006 - received interview invite

11/01/2006 - INTERVIEW in Frankfurt - approved!

11/04/2006 - VISA IN HAND!!

12/21/2006 - POE San Francisco and ON TO SEA!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just a note, his recovery will be longer than three months and if he activates the visa -- what about health care -- maybe you should consider moving there for the next year or so. Cancer is a life changing experience. Not overnight cure. Just trying to be realisitc. I'm sorry for being blunt. I'm wishing him a very speedy recovery.

Feb. 15/ 07 --- GC approved

Nov. 17/09 -- I-751 sent (Day 1)

Filed: Other Timeline
I know that with Bank of America and a big German bank it doesn't cost fees to get cash...

Scotiabank in Canada has an agreement with Bank of America. I used to use my Scotia bank card in the US at BoA machines and there was no service charge.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Im not sure if your past the point of uscis careing or not.. but you may want to consider keeping the appartment (or at least a smaller appartment) to help prove ties to the US. Thats usualy the only thing customs asks me when i come and go from canada is if im maintaining a residency in the US.

As far as everything else goes, come back to the states within 6 months, and everything should be ducky!

I wish hubby a quick recovery!

Service Center: Nebraska Service Center

Consulate: Montreal, Canada

First Met:..............................2003-08-14

Proposed:.............................2006-2-10

Marriage:..............................2006-04-29

Marriage License Applied for:..2006-05-08

Marriage License Recieved:....2006-08-15 (bout time....)

I 130

I-130 Sent:......................2006-08-17

I-130 NOA1 issued:..........2006-08-28

Touch:............................2006-08-30

I-130 Check Cashed:........2006-09-01

APPROVED.......................2006-10-24 (68 Days)

Case Number Assigned......2006-11-13

Choice of Agent accepted...2006-11-20 (via email)

IV Bill Generated................2006-11-27

RFE.................................2007-??-??

CASE COMPLETE @ NVC......2007-12-14

INTERVIEW.......................2008-5-7 -- APPROVED AND DONE!

I 129F

I-129F Sent:..................2006-09-05

I-129F NOA1 Issued:......2006-09-11

I-129F NOA1 Recvd:......2006-09-13

Touch:..........................2006-09-14

Touch:..........................2006-09-20

Touch:..........................2006-10-23 (Transfer to CSC)

Touch:..........................2006-10-25

1-129F Approved...........2006-11-29

Packet 3 Recvd..............2006-12-19

Medical.........................2007-01-5

Packet 3 Sent................2007-01-18

Interview Scheduled.......2007-06-19 APPROVED!

Visa in hand..................2007-06-25

Moving Day!..................2007-06-30

Timeline

Not to keep beating the drum on banks, yes some won't charge you fees, but they may not give you a geat exchange rate. Whe I was with the Candian Armed Forces, used my ATM card all through out the world, usually with no problems. If your dealing with small sums of $$$, the exchange rate is goin gto matter that much.

Edited by flames9

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.