Nessa

POE Houston oct 10 06 - no problem

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Charles and I left my home in Brazil on oct 09 at 7:50 am. When we arrived at the airport the weather was terrible so it was closed. So Charles, Nietzsche (my cat) our 6 bags and I went to Curitiba by bus (provided by TAM the airline supposed to fly us to Sao Paulo) and we arrived in Curitiba, had to check in the cat again and finally we flew to Sao Paulo. We arrived there and we went get our luggage and the cat. A broker was supposed to wait for us to get the cat but instead I had to get on a cab and go to the ``cargo`` building with my cat.

Anyway, back to the airport, it's 3pm and our flight is at 9:20pm. I ask on the info place and they tell me Continental will only check in 3 hours prior to the flight. So there we are, Charles, our 6 bags and I in Guarulhos, the worst airport ever according to Charles waiting to check in so we didn't have to carry the luggage while waiting.

Finally at 6pm Continental let us check in, it's all easy, so we wait a bit more to go through customs. Charles didn't have a bad time, it was quite easy, no lines, very fast. Oh, we go through security checks twice, once when checking in and once when entering the plane.

21:20 we're in the plane, we have to wait and wait and then the pilot says 10 more min because of blah blah blah ok... the flight was ok, bleh meal, interesting tv movies and shows but we were tired.

We arrive in Houston and have just a bit over an hour to go through customs and security checks before our flight to KC. So Charles go to the US citizens line and I go to the visitors line. I see people in front of me answering questions etc, very easy. But not on my turn...

The 1st guy at the customs asked me a bunch of questions:

- What's the purpose of your visit? I answered to get married.

- Get married? With who? :lol:

then i show him my passport with the K1 visa and here comes more questions:

- Do you have your package?

- Where did you meet him?

- Oh really the internet eh?

- How many times have you seen him?

- Only twice?

- How long do you know each other?

- What do you do for a living?

- What does he do for a living?

Then he ask me to look at the cam and to give my fingerprints. Then he asks me to step aside and wait because someone else was coming. He delivers the package to this guy who walks me to a second room. On our way to the room he asks what am I going to do here in the middle of nowhere :P

At the other room this guy ask me to wait. Then he asks me only one question when is the wedding, I answer, tell him I need to keep the i-94, he says don't worry you'll keep, and then he says welcome.

So Charles and I get our luggage, go through security, all easy, and in time to get our flight to KC.

Arriving in KC we finally go home. My cat was supposed to arrive at 9:30pm, so we shower, eat, go buy food, etc. At night calling about the cat apparently he was stuck in Houston so he would arrive only at 11:15. Then calling again the time change to 12:05am. Then calling again it changes to 1:30am. So there we go again at 1:30am, really exhausted because none of us slept well on the 3 airplanes we flew, Nietzsche arrives, we go home and today is the first day of the rest of our lives... together :D:luv:

It's very exhausting but it's all worthy. I'm really happy we're finally able to be living under the same roof (L):dance:

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
...We arrive in Houston and have just a bit over an hour to go through customs and security checks before our flight to KC. So Charles go to the US citizens line and I go to the visitors line. I see people in front of me answering questions etc, very easy. But not on my turn...

- Only twice?

Then he ask me to look at the cam and to give my fingerprints. Then he asks me to step aside and wait because someone else was coming. He delivers the package to this guy who walks me to a second room. On our way to the room he asks what am I going to do here in the middle of nowhere :P

At the other room this guy ask me to wait. Then he asks me only one question when is the wedding, I answer, tell him I need to keep the i-94, he says don't worry you'll keep, and then he says welcome.

Nessa, did you ask for an EAD?

The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority.

Timeline

...We arrive in Houston and have just a bit over an hour to go through customs and security checks before our flight to KC. So Charles go to the US citizens line and I go to the visitors line. I see people in front of me answering questions etc, very easy. But not on my turn...

- Only twice?

No apparently they just give on JFK, and it's worthless isnt' it? It's like for 60 days what would I do with it? Get a job and then quit after 60 days? I don't see a point... plus so much to do, I'll worry about working after we're married and I get used to my life in here.

* K1 Timeline *

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *

* LOC Timeline *

Complete Timeline

Timeline

Wow. Quite a tiresome flight. I hope mine is easier. Congrats on your new life Nessa!

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Congratulations and welcome to the US! :dance::dance::dance:

Thanks for the write up on Houston as a POE. I will share it with my fiance who will also fly into Houston so I know he will appreciate the description. My guess is the houston offiers were flirting with you a little bit :P thus so many questions :lol:

Enjoy your time together (F)

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
No apparently they just give on JFK, and it's worthless isnt' it? It's like for 60 days what would I do with it? Get a job and then quit after 60 days? I don't see a point... plus so much to do, I'll worry about working after we're married and I get used to my life in here.

Thanks, Nessa. We've been discussing about that a lot and I was wondering which way to go, but since I have no option...problem solved ;)

All the best

The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Nessa and Charles, congrats and I'm happy to hear your trip went well, despite all those questions! Welcome to the US! hope to hear more from you during your adjustment period!

Beijo!

Brazilitaliana!

My story:

09/23/2002 - Met Chris online, there was something very special about this guy =0)

07/16/2006 - We got married in Reno, Nevada.

USCIS:

08/13/2006 - Filed for AOS, AP, EAD - they were VERY carefully packaged with a detailed cover sheet on top of each of the forms, just as VJ's instructions recommend. It was A LOT of work, but it did pay off! (we firmly believe this is what sped up our process big time)

08/31/2006 - Biometrics appointment

09/09/2006 - Received my AOS appointment date!

10/26/2006 - EAD touched and AP APPROVED!

10/27/2006 - AOS appointment at 7:30 AM! APPROVED IN EXACTLY 70 DAYS!!!

11/01/2006 - EAD approved

11/02/2006 - Email notification - greencard will be mailed as soon as it is ready! YAY again!

11/02/2006 - Welcome to the United States of America letter in the mail! Almost there! =)

11/06/2006 - EAD card and White card (a.k.a. greencard) arrive in the mail!

Journey Total Duration: 80 days

Filed for removal of conditions on 07-28-2008 and had them removed on 09-10-2008

Filed: Timeline

nessaandcharles,

Did you ask about and get the EA stamp? The last reports on Houston here

http://www.k1poelist.com/k1poelist.cgi

are a year old, but the stamp was being used then.

Please put your info on that site.

Yodral

Charles and I left my home in Brazil on oct 09 at 7:50 am. When we arrived at the airport the weather was terrible so it was closed. So Charles, Nietzsche (my cat) our 6 bags and I went to Curitiba by bus (provided by TAM the airline supposed to fly us to Sao Paulo) and we arrived in Curitiba, had to check in the cat again and finally we flew to Sao Paulo. We arrived there and we went get our luggage and the cat. A broker was supposed to wait for us to get the cat but instead I had to get on a cab and go to the ``cargo`` building with my cat.

Anyway, back to the airport, it's 3pm and our flight is at 9:20pm. I ask on the info place and they tell me Continental will only check in 3 hours prior to the flight. So there we are, Charles, our 6 bags and I in Guarulhos, the worst airport ever according to Charles waiting to check in so we didn't have to carry the luggage while waiting.

Finally at 6pm Continental let us check in, it's all easy, so we wait a bit more to go through customs. Charles didn't have a bad time, it was quite easy, no lines, very fast. Oh, we go through security checks twice, once when checking in and once when entering the plane.

21:20 we're in the plane, we have to wait and wait and then the pilot says 10 more min because of blah blah blah ok... the flight was ok, bleh meal, interesting tv movies and shows but we were tired.

We arrive in Houston and have just a bit over an hour to go through customs and security checks before our flight to KC. So Charles go to the US citizens line and I go to the visitors line. I see people in front of me answering questions etc, very easy. But not on my turn...

- Get married? With who?

- Only twice?

Then he ask me to look at the cam and to give my fingerprints. Then he asks me to step aside and wait because someone else was coming. He delivers the package to this guy who walks me to a second room. On our way to the room he asks what am I going to do here in the middle of nowhere

So Charles and I get our luggage, go through security, all easy, and in time to get our flight to KC.

Arriving in KC we finally go home. My cat was supposed to arrive at 9:30pm, so we shower, eat, go buy food, etc. At night calling about the cat apparently he was stuck in Houston so he would arrive only at 11:15. Then calling again the time change to 12:05am. Then calling again it changes to 1:30am. So there we go again at 1:30am, really exhausted because none of us slept well on the 3 airplanes we flew, Nietzsche arrives, we go home and today is the first day of the rest of our lives... together

It's very exhausting but it's all worthy. I'm really happy we're finally able to be living under the same roof (L)

Edited by Yodrak

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

Both my wife and stepdaughter got the EAD stamps in their passports in Houston. I told them to specifically ask for it. My K-2 stepdaughter wasn't even eligible to legally work even with this stamp. She wasn't eligible to get a Social Security Card until after her AoS EAD was issued. They arrived in Houston in 2004, so I don't have any recent experiences.

Anyway, you are correct...the EAD at POE is mostly worthless. I really wouldn't pick a POE just for the EAD stamp. It would be more productive to file AoS as soon as possible instead. It took us 6+ months to get EAD's issued after filing AoS. So learn the time honored virtue of patience when dealing with US-CIS. It could be a very long time until you can legally work in the US.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

I want to welcome you to America. Rosana and I wish you both a happy, long and loving life together. It must feel great to finally be here and the 2 of you together. :dance::dance::dance::dance: We are very happy for you both.

Removing Conditions

May 29 2009 - Vermont received I-751

June 01 2009 - NOA

July 13 2009 - Biometric

Oct 22 2009 - E-mail - card ordered

Oct 23 2009 - Received letter - approval date 10/19.

Timeline
nessaandcharles,

Did you ask about and get the EA stamp? The last reports on Houston here

http://www.k1poelist.com/k1poelist.cgi

are a year old, but the stamp was being used then.

Please put your info on that site.

Yodral

I didn't ask for it, Charles and I didn't see a point in doing such since it's a 60 days so useless unless I had already a job...

As for that site .. done.

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome (F)

* K1 Timeline *

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *

* LOC Timeline *

Complete Timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

congrats!

Is there any reason why you and Charles couldn't go thru the same line together? It looks like Kathe's POE will be either Houston or Newark.

.oO - Jake & Kathe - Oo.

the significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them - Einstein

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.