steviem

Married while in US on ESTA - AOS?

82 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Ireland
Timeline

That's true on paper, but in reality, many USCIS offices will process AOS for VWP spouses.

Neetz is both confused and correct. You cannot adjust status from a VWP to something else on it's own. Cannot be done. HOWEVER, you CAN adjust status as the spouse of a US citizen if you get married while here on a VWP. Big difference.

Our Journey

6/6/2007 Met online

12/05/2007 Realized I was nuts about him!

01/19/2008 Confessed...and he felt the same <3

05/01/2008 Met in person in Chicago

5/2008-5/2010 Umpteen visits between Ireland and US

6/19/2010 Got married!

04/06/2012 Finally able to send paperwork for AOS!

(Day 1)04/11/2012 Papers arrived at Chicago lockbox and signed for.

(Day 3)04/13/2012 Email confirmations!

(Day 7)04/17/2012 NOA hard copies received.

(Day 10)04/20/2012 Biometrics appt received for 05/07/2012

(Day 27)05/07/2012 Biometrics

(Day 65)06/15/2012 EAD approval email

(Day 69)06/19/2012 Interview notice!!! 07/24/2012!!

(Day 75)06/25/2012 EAD arrives.

(Day 104)07/24/2012 Interview in Atlanta....Approved!!!

Expecting a baby boy 8/9/2013!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Big difference, for sure.

He is absolutely within his rights to do so. Many of us on this forum are doing this process, have done this process and will continue to do this process with no issues.

The spouse of a US citizen is allowed to adjust fom a visa waiver program/visitor status.

Overstay is overlooked for the spouse of a US citizen.

Intent is overlooked for the spouse of a US citizen.

These directives are all a part of the adjucators field guide. :bonk:

If you don't know, its probably best not to add to the confusion.

If you know and choose to argue it out of some sort of envy or distaste that others choose a different rout - well, that's just not nice. ;)

Edited by jdh

July 2005 - met my awesome, hot, amazing love in Lousiana.
July 2006 - Married said love and moved to Canada.
June 2011 - Entered US to visit family, decided to stay.
Feb. 2012 - Sent paperwork to Chicago.

May 2012 - Received green card.

Day 0 - Package sent to Chicago Lockbox - 02/27/2012
Day 2 - UPS Tracking Confirmation - 02/29/2012
Day 4 - NOA Emails Received - 03/02/2012
Day 7 - All Checks Cashed - 03/05/2012
Day 11 - Hard Copy NOA's Received - 03/09/2012
Day 11 - Biometrics Appointment Received - 03/09/2012
--------- - Booked for - 04/03/2012 (day 36)
Day 35 - Early Biometricts Walk-in - 04/02/2012
Day 44 - Received Appointment Letter - 04/11/2012
Day 58 - EAD Approval Online - 04/25/2012
Day 63 - EAD in the mail - 04/30/2012
Day 65 - EAD in hand - 05/02/2012
Day 77 - AOS Interview - 05/14/2012
Day 77 - AOS Approved!
Day 84 - Green Card In Hand - 05/21/2012

I don't think people here are trying to derail the OP because of "envy" - not on the AOS from tourist, work and student visa forum at least. Most people just believe that before making big decisions like this, it's good to know all the benefits and risks of every possible option. Yes, AOS from VWP is a viable option, many do it, and most couples come out of it just fine with a GC in hand. However, I don't think it is irrelevant for the OP that one cannot file a motion to reopen a denied AOS from VWP case, or contest the decision, unlike other AOS cases. I also don't think it is irrelevant for the OP to know that though AOS from VWP is common, and is allowed, some field offices may still frown upon it.

I also don't think it is correct to claim that intent is "overlooked" - Intent to immigrate on a non-immigrant visa is never overlooked, but whether or not it can be proved is a whole other matter. In most cases, the issue of intent never comes up, because the burden of proof is on USCIS and because intent alone cannot be used as a reason to deny. It's also different than material misrepresentation, which might have been the situation with OP - it seems that it wasn't, but it could very well have been since he was pulled to secondary and asked questions about his plans. It's not irrelevant to bring that up, and make sure he didn't set himself up for failure. I personally would want to know all these thigns before deciding which route to take.

I think most people agree with you in that adjusting from VWP is often a perfectly legal and viable route to take, and that people do sometimes suddenly change their minds (though not as often as they claim.. but, again, burden of proof is on USCIS) - I just think you're making it seem a bit too eezy-peezy and straight-forward than it is in reality. People DO get denied, with no right to appeal - and it is relevant for the OP to know the risks.

Edited by Little_My

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

You gotta have some balls to do it, I didn't, hence I'm still waiting here.

Good luck :thumbs:

K-1
NOA1 Nov 25th 2011
NOA2 May 30th 2012 (not a typo, 187 days no RFE)
Left NVC Jun 18th 2012
Medical Jun 28th 2012
Pkt 3 sent Jul 3rd 2012
Pkt 3 rec Jul 9th 2012 (sent before received)
Pkt 4 rec Jul 30th 2012
Interview Jul 30th 2012 (refused for lack of ongoing relationship evidence)
Approved Oct 5th 2012
Visa delivered Oct 10th 2012
POE JFK-NYC Nov 28th 2012
Married Dec 24th 2012

AOS
Package sent Jan 30th 2013
NOA1 Feb 6th 2013
Biometrics Mar 4th 2013
EAD/AP card in production Apr 5th 2013
EAD/AP card in mail Apr 11th 2013
EAD/AP card arrived Apr 13th 2013
SS card arrived Apr 19th 2013

AOS approved Sept 19th 2013 (no interview)

ROC

Package sent Sept 13th 2015

NOA1 Sept 15th 2015

Extension Letter 1yr Sept 15th 2015

Biometrics Oct 15th 2015

RFE Jul 11th 2016

Infopass 1yr extension Aug 26th 2016

RFE response Sept 30th 2016

Interview Mar 15th 2017

"You are lucky we are busy today, we are trying to clear this area, otherwise I wouldn't let you in" - Atlanta CBP Securing America's Borders

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

Personally, I would not risk it... Even if the chance to be denied is small, it would still be too big of a risk for me and my husband... If I were you, I would go the CR-1 route, even if you have to be apart for a while. Don't you have loose ends to take care of at home anyways? I kind of feel those months apart waiting for the CR-1 can be used to take care of loose ends at home, such as quitting your job, selling your place, your car (if you have one), packing your things you want to move with you to the U.S., spending time with friends and family before you move, saying your good byes, etc. My husband did those things while we were apart for the K-1 visa before he moved here. If I was in that situation I would feel I need the time to take care of those things as well before I moved out of the country.

VJAvatar.jpg

OP should consult with a qualified immigration attorney before he proceeds.

It's. That. Simple.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

I should add that I was not asked if I intended to marry while I was here.

I was asked if I had work lined up over here, which was their primary concern in secondary. They thought I had a position lined up to work here.

Did they really?

Those funny little buggers at Customs and Border Patrol - they make notes of what people tell them.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

This is all very helpful. :)

I am from Northern Ireland, with an Irish passport. (Those born in N.I. can claim both British and Irish nationality.)

Edited by steviem

Filed: Other Country: Ireland
Timeline

This is all very helpful. :)

I am from Northern Ireland, with an Irish passport. (Those born in N.I. can claim both British and Irish nationality.)

Good choice on the Passport!

B-):D:thumbs:

K-1 Visa Journey
08/05/2011 I-129F sent
08/09/2011 I-129F recieved and signed for by C.Viella @ Lewisville, TX
08/11/2011 NOA1 email recieved
08/12/2011 Cheque cashed by USCIS
08/16/2011 NOA1 Hard Copy recieved
12/05/2011 NOA2 Email recieved: Approved
12/09/2011 NOA2 Hard Copy recieved: Approved
01/10/2012 Medical
01/24/2012 NVC received File
01/26/2012 NVC transferred to Embassy
02/06/2012 Embassy Received
02/08/2012 Packet 3 Received
02/16/2012 Packet 3 Sent back to Embassy
02/17/2012 Embassy Received
03/01/2012 Packet 4 Received
03/13/2012 Interview Date: APPROVED
04/05/2012 POE: Dublin, Ireland

Your I-129f was approved in 116 days from your NOA1 date.
Your interview took 215 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

04/25/2012 AOS sent
04/30/2012 AOS Received and signed for by CHYBA @ Chicago, IL
05/03/2012 Cheque cashed by USCIS
05/04/2012 Biometrics letter sent
05/29/2012 I-485 transferred to CSC
06/01/2012 Biometrics appointment
07/06/2012 EAD+AP Card Production (68 days)
07/14/2012 EAD+AP Card Received

04/18/2013 Filed for EAD+AP renewal
04/19/2013 Contacted Congressman
04/19/2013 RFE for form I-693
05/06/2013 RFE response under review
05/21/2013 AOS APPROVED!
05/25/2013 Green Card IN HAND!

Your AOS was approved in 392 days from your send-date.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Good choice on the Passport!

B-):D:thumbs:

Honestly, it was just quicker. I had originally applied for a UK passport and it was taking months. Applied for the Irish passport and had it within 2 weeks.

Filed: Timeline

OP should consult with a qualified immigration attorney before he proceeds.

It's. That. Simple.

you don't need an attorney, if your case isn't complicated. and from what I read, it isn't. I adjusted from VWP within 2.5 months without an attorney and I am glad I stayed here instead of going back. if you research all the papers you need, you will understand the whole progress. like I said before, MANY people did it and will still do.

Edited by AF-Wife

Honestly, it was just quicker. I had originally applied for a UK passport and it was taking months. Applied for the Irish passport and had it within 2 weeks.

My husband once held an Irish passport as well. He was coming to the US on a J program and the people who ran it advised everyone to get Irish passports (rather than British) because terrorists on planes always shoot Americans and English, and let the other people go. :lol:

When he got his last passport (a red British passport) it only took a couple of weeks. I can't imagine it taking months. Ever.

you don't need an attorney, if your case isn't complicated. and from what I read, it isn't. I adjusted from VWP within 2.5 months without an attorney and I am glad I stayed here instead of going back. if you research all the papers you need, you will understand the whole progress. like I said before, MANY people did it and will still do.

That's really not fair for you to say. You don't know the details of his entry and you don't know any of the other details of his case.

Every case is different.

What do you mean he was warned against it? He was inspected at the border...CBP did their job and now it is done. Now it is to USCIS - a different organization - to assess whether he is eligable to immigrate via AOS based on the validity of his marriage and lack of criminal background.

He has the right to change his mind and adjust within the country. He is doing exactly what AOS is meant to allow.

What was asked in secondary is irrelevant. He was responding to questions asked with what was to the best of his knowledge the truth...that changed and now he is AOSing which he is completely eligible to do.

Material representation would only come into play with something that could be proven as a lie at the time - ie, "Do you have a criminal record?". "Are you transporting an illegal substance?"

They don't have mind readers to dissect his brain and determine that he was lying at the time - thus making intent irrelevant and not considered in the AOS process.

Misrep is a handy little charge to slap on top of something else in the file the AO doesn't like.

Your experience is very reassuring. But it was your experience. OP's experience may be very different from yours.

I am not one of the people in this community who gets my panties bunched about adjusting from the Visa Waiver (just so you know). And I realize there is case law which advises AO's to approve the case even if intent is obvious. What the case law also says, however, is intent is not enough to deny IF ALL OTHER ASPECTS OF THE CASE ARE SATISFACTORY.

OP was quizzed at the border about his immigrant intent. He tells us they thought he might try to stay and work. Based upon OP's other entries to the US, and other factors we can't know about his case, an AO might question the legitimacy of his relationship. It MIGHT look that the OP was trying to move to the US by hook or by crook (by work or by marriage).

OP needs a frank discourse with a qualified family immigration attorney. He might be OK - he might not.

Because every case is different.

Filed: Timeline

My husband once held an Irish passport as well. He was coming to the US on a J program and the people who ran it advised everyone to get Irish passports (rather than British) because terrorists on planes always shoot Americans and English, and let the other people go. :lol:

When he got his last passport (a red British passport) it only took a couple of weeks. I can't imagine it taking months. Ever.

That's really not fair for you to say. You don't know the details of his entry and you don't know any of the other details of his case.

Every case is different.

what? what are you talking about? I refered to the details he gave us before. he entered legally, border protection cleared him & there was no misrepresentation. (like he explained it to us) I also know other people who successfully adjusted their status without any problem from VWP.

Edited by AF-Wife

what? what are you talking about? I refered to the details he gave us before. he entered legally, border protection cleared him & there was no misrepresentation. (like he explained it to us) I also know other people who successfully adjusted their status without any problem from VWP.

I think I explained myself in a post to jdh, right beneath where I spoke to you.

I do not believe it is ever wise to tell another member they don't need an attorney consult. Because we don't know the details of their case.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.