rclouse

dogs

73 posts in this topic

I expect quite a lot of the questions about Islam is just due to inexposure. I'm probably more exposed to Islam than the average American, but through university courses and discussion. I can count my actual Muslim friends on one hand. So I figure if I wonder about certain customs, it's got to be even worse for someone who only hears about Islam on the news. You'll see similar queries about Mormons or Buddhists or other minority religions in the U.S.

That said, the dog thing has always struck me as a cultural thing more than a religious thing. One of my friends is a first-generation American whose parents are from Iran. He's not religious, and they are but not devoutly so, and he's remarked that he still finds it weird that Americans keep dogs in houses as pets; they're just dirty animals. I suspect it may be more a regional preference than a religious one, or that the two reinforce each other.

My fiancé (Canadian, Protestant) doesn't like dogs as pets because he grew up on a farm and thinks of them as dirty working animals.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I expect quite a lot of the questions about Islam is just due to inexposure. I'm probably more exposed to Islam than the average American, but through university courses and discussion. I can count my actual Muslim friends on one hand. So I figure if I wonder about certain customs, it's got to be even worse for someone who only hears about Islam on the news. You'll see similar queries about Mormons or Buddhists or other minority religions in the U.S.

That said, the dog thing has always struck me as a cultural thing more than a religious thing. One of my friends is a first-generation American whose parents are from Iran. He's not religious, and they are but not devoutly so, and he's remarked that he still finds it weird that Americans keep dogs in houses as pets; they're just dirty animals. I suspect it may be more a regional preference than a religious one, or that the two reinforce each other.

My fiancé (Canadian, Protestant) doesn't like dogs as pets because he grew up on a farm and thinks of them as dirty working animals.

That's what my wife has had to overcome. She spent time on a farm and the dogs there were dirty service animals, definately not pets. My chihuahua gets a bath every week and, although he's a pee-er, is otherwise quite clean. But getting past what she was raised with, coupled with a few negative hadiths has been a bit of a challenge.

But things are looking up. She will actually pick him up and let him lick her hand now. :)

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

Filed: Timeline
That's what my wife has had to overcome. She spent time on a farm and the dogs there were dirty service animals, definately not pets. My chihuahua gets a bath every week and, although he's a pee-er, is otherwise quite clean. But getting past what she was raised with, coupled with a few negative hadiths has been a bit of a challenge.

But things are looking up. She will actually pick him up and let him lick her hand now. :)

Your wife is muslimah?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
Watch out! The Ramadan police are around every corner making sure they don't think you have broken your fast. Please have your fasting log sheets ready to be turned in at the end of Ramadan for their inspection. :lol:

:thumbs: I have noticed there has been quite a bit of "patroling" going on latley by our own members. I think people should be treated like adults and if they choose no to take their religious holidays seriously then that is on them. I don't see why people feel the need to tell others how to act.

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Watch out! The Ramadan police are around every corner making sure they don't think you have broken your fast. Please have your fasting log sheets ready to be turned in at the end of Ramadan for their inspection. :lol:

:thumbs: I have noticed there has been quite a bit of "patroling" going on latley by our own members. I think people should be treated like adults and if they choose no to take their religious holidays seriously then that is on them. I don't see why people feel the need to tell others how to act.

just gotta do it

:pop:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I don't see it as patroling, but rather a plea to avoid nastiness (F)

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

I don't see it as patroling, but rather a plea to avoid nastiness (F)

I don't mean regarding fighting, we havent had any lately. We must be on a streak. :thumbs: I meant on how one should conduct themselves during Ramadan.

~jordanian_princess~

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I don't mean regarding fighting, we havent had any lately. We must be on a streak. :thumbs: I meant on how one should conduct themselves during Ramadan.

Where is that? We have had some specific threads related to ramadan/fasting, but people are free to participate in those if they chose, or not.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

Where is that? We have had some specific threads related to ramadan/fasting, but people are free to participate in those if they chose, or not.

Oh its just been here and there. Not in one specific thread. Just an observation I made and I *think* Rebecca made the same one but I don't want to quote her as such.

~jordanian_princess~

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

my husband let me get a puppy for our 2nd anninversary contrary to his beliefs about dogs with conditions. i clean after it, bath it weekly, cage it when im not around (i cryed on that one so he lifted that ban,,,hehe) he wont have anything to do with it so dont think he is going to take care of it or even touch it for that matter.

well it took about 2 weeks and he couldnt stop himself from loving her. the first sign was when he looked down at her and pointed his finger at her and said, i dont know how u did it, but u make me love u. mr. mean turned into a softie and now loves the dog more then the cat.

he still wont let her lick him tho but i dont blame him cuz i dont like it either.

Oh its just been here and there. Not in one specific thread. Just an observation I made and I *think* Rebecca made the same one but I don't want to quote her as such.

I have made a similar observation. The pleas to avoid nastiness pop up routinely but other "un-Ramadan-like" or "un-Muslim-like" behavior goes on without similar pleas. I won't get into naming the behaviors because I think they are quite obvious.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

I have made a similar observation. The pleas to avoid nastiness pop up routinely but other "un-Ramadan-like" or "un-Muslim-like" behavior goes on without similar pleas. I won't get into naming the behaviors because I think they are quite obvious.

The behaviors are obvious, if not to the ones who engage in it, but to those with enough depth to spot it. There are a few who show no resistance to attacking my posts, no matter how innocuous, then pretending that they didn't mean anything by it; it was just a question. I'm making an effort to avoid fighting, but it seems clear that there are a couple of people who insist that when I post something, they feel in competition with what I say or they dismiss it as "teaching" because I have more education and time in Islam than they do.

I enjoy sharing my knowledge: I worked hard for it, alhumdillah. I enjoy the knowledge of others who have earned that respect. That there are a few who wish to display their insecurities, nor that it is Ramadan, will stop me from engaging those who wish to be civil. The ones who have a chip on their shoulder, who applaud each others rudeness, I will deal with when they are ready to be civil, but when they are not civil, I will let them know.

Edited by szsz

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.