4bd

Married for love, barred for life??

57 posts in this topic

Angelina's rape did not occur on the first day or second, it was after a week of arriving to the States. You can imagine the shame, embarrassment, hurt and confusion she must have felt, especially after putting her trust in a man who was supposed to love and protect her.

What's more evident by reading the comments here on vj, are the cultural and social mores surrounding sex, love and marriage. Some members believe that Angelina and Bob had sex before because after all, that's OBVIOUSLY what couples do when they are in a pre-marital relationship. And there are others who have the belief that sex happens once a relationship is consummated (i.e., marriage). Wherever your views/beliefs may lie on this issue, I think one thing we can all agree on is the importance of understanding and respect for the different beliefs that individuals have on this issue. To inject your personal beliefs and make biased statements doesn't help to address the issue.

Now I've got a question for all of you vj forum members who successfully petitioned for a K-1 visa and are now happily married (presumably): were the consequences of not getting married under a K-1 visa explained to you and your foreign spouse during the process? How important were these ramifications stressed (or not stressed) during the entire process?

Firstly, I just want to say I'm ashamed by some of the comments in this thread. It's a reminder why I sometimes drift away from VJ. Your second paragraph here is spot on.

Now, to answer your question....

YES. At the Embassy In London I was told specifically that if my K1 visa was granted, I would have 180 days to enter the U.S. and then 90 days after entering to marry Annette. If we didn't marry within those 90 days I'd have to come home to London.

Then at my POE (Houston), I was sent to a back room when I arrived at the immigration desk. In the back room I was told repeatedly that if I didn't marry Annette within 90 days I had to leave the U.S. And when I say repeatedly, I mean repeatedly. The officer must have told me that a dozen times - and every time he did, he asked whether I understood. I was actually taken aback by this - it was a simple concept to understand, but he labored it so much, it made me wonder if he thought I was a bit simple.

When he let me go, he even shouted "YOU'VE GOT 90 DAYS. YOU MUST MARRY ANNETTE WITHIN 90 DAYS" as I exited the room!

Edited by N M

11-24-2006 Annette and I meet in Rome

09-09-2008 Engaged!

01-30-2009 Fiance petition filed

03-22-2009 Fiance petition approved. Case moves to U.S. embassy in London

04-01-2009 Package received from U.S. embassy in London

06-01-2009 Visa Medical (London)

06-23-2009 K1 Visa Interview (London)

06-27-2009 Passport returned by embassy. K1 Visa received!!

07-04-2009 Fly to Denver (port of entry - Houston, TX)

07-25-2009 We are married (the joint happiest day of my life)

08-07-2009 Social Security number obtained

08-20-2009 AOS, Advanced Parole and Employment Authorization forms filed

09-24-2009 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

10-05-2009 Advanced Parole received

10-09-2009 Employment Authorization received

10-13-2009 Colorado Learner's permit obtained and driving test scheduled

10-21-2009 Driving test taken and passed

11-30-2009 Green Card Interview (Centennial, CO)

12-08-2009 Green Card received

01-04-2010 Employed

01-28-2011 Our daughter is born (the other happiest day of my life)!

11-21-2011 Filed for Removal of Conditions

12-28-2011 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

03-16-2012 Card production ordered

03-23-2012 Card received

09-04-2012 Application for Naturalization filed

10-05-2012 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

12-11-2012 Naturalization Interview (Centennial, CO)

I may be wrong, correct me if I am but... Nobody thought it is strange that she is trying to get asylum through the church that, from what he said on post #5 does not even exist anymore? And the "church" did not report to the police OR her attorney that she was raped twice since she has no English skills??? Did they think that praying would change the fact that she was a victim of rape?? And now she is working illegally as a nanny?? Too many wrong things in just one story. Also, who is telling this whole story, Angelina or Brad?

The point is not if it was rape or not, ever heard on the news about fathers/uncles/grandpas/etc raping their relatives?? It does not matter if you know or not the person, if it is forced intercourse IT IS rape. Period. But anyway, she trusted Bob and yes awful he did that to her, good for her she married somebody else who is good to her BUT what the heck with the asylum because of religious beliefs? Does that even exist? Is it a real reason to be granted asylum? Please correct me if I am wrong. Something just sounds wrong about it all but best bet is a good and different attorney not a public forum. :huh:

03/17/2011- Mailed K1 petition

03/25/2011- Email and text NOA1, routed to VSC

03/25/2011- Check cashed

07/05/2011- NOA2, USCIS website, text and email!
10/04/2011- Interview, APPROVED!
10/23/2011- POE - Dulles
11/08/2011- WEDDING!
11/15/2011- Applied for SSN
01/18/2012- AOS package sent
01/24/2012- NOA1 for AOS, EAD & AP
01/25/2012- Check cashed for AOS
02/16/2012- AOS & EAD biometrics
02/13/2012- AOS case transferred to CSC
02/21/2012- AOS application received at CSC
03/15/2012- EAD/AP cards approved
03/26/2012- EAD/AP combo card received
07/30/2012- Service Request on AOS, past 6 months mark...
08/28/2012- Ombudsman & Senator contacted, past 7 months mark...
09/04/2012- AOS Approved!
09/10/2012- GC in hand!

08/13/2014- Mailed I-751(ROC) package to VSC

08/15/2014- Delivered

08/18/2014- NOA1/Letter of Extension

08/20/2014- Check cashed

09/17/2014- Biometrics

02/18/2015- Card Production Ordered/ Approved!

ejXGm5.pngSDeHm4.png

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Be fierce! Be consistent, know no bounds, take pleasure in the little things, make love your sole focus, don't submit until you have absolutely no way out........

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

wow. so - you not go to new zealand when i said to go to new zealand.

ok - got it. that was 2.5 years ago. Nothing has changed in the situation, the end result (deportation hearing) is looming.

why the two of you NOT go to New Zealand, as I suggested? Did it seem too incredulous then? Does it seem incredulous now? ####### ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I typed a huge text but couldn't post lol oh well... Anyway, anyone else think is strange the asylum case because of religious beliefs? Why didn't the church (that does not even exist anymore) help her? Why did her attorney suggest that instead of taking her to the nearest police station and report the 02 rapes???? And now she is working as a nanny illegally and going to college? With what documentation???

Something does not make sense in this whole story, who is telling this story? Angelina or Brad? Somebody correct me if I am wrong with the asylum stuff.

03/17/2011- Mailed K1 petition

03/25/2011- Email and text NOA1, routed to VSC

03/25/2011- Check cashed

07/05/2011- NOA2, USCIS website, text and email!
10/04/2011- Interview, APPROVED!
10/23/2011- POE - Dulles
11/08/2011- WEDDING!
11/15/2011- Applied for SSN
01/18/2012- AOS package sent
01/24/2012- NOA1 for AOS, EAD & AP
01/25/2012- Check cashed for AOS
02/16/2012- AOS & EAD biometrics
02/13/2012- AOS case transferred to CSC
02/21/2012- AOS application received at CSC
03/15/2012- EAD/AP cards approved
03/26/2012- EAD/AP combo card received
07/30/2012- Service Request on AOS, past 6 months mark...
08/28/2012- Ombudsman & Senator contacted, past 7 months mark...
09/04/2012- AOS Approved!
09/10/2012- GC in hand!

08/13/2014- Mailed I-751(ROC) package to VSC

08/15/2014- Delivered

08/18/2014- NOA1/Letter of Extension

08/20/2014- Check cashed

09/17/2014- Biometrics

02/18/2015- Card Production Ordered/ Approved!

ejXGm5.pngSDeHm4.png

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Be fierce! Be consistent, know no bounds, take pleasure in the little things, make love your sole focus, don't submit until you have absolutely no way out........

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

a large number of judgmental posts removed. two member's access to this thread removed.

if you haven't read the vj tos, i suggest you do so. www.visajourney.com/content/terms

posts quoting removed posts returned below

This is the most hateful thing I have ever read on VJ. There are so many things wrong with this post. First of all, especially here, we should at least know enough to know that there are a lot of different cultures and beliefs in the world that we do not understand and should respect. Secondly, between any two people, sex should ALWAYS be consensual, no matter what either of them EXPECTS based on time and money invested or anything else. And lastly, Anyone posting here should expect at best to be taken at their word and given helpful advice. There is no point to this forum if we can only expect at best to be treated suspiciously and with criticism. Of course we can and should be compassionate and supportive. Didn't you ever face suspicion and need a place where you could find support? Shame on you Isamu.

OP, I am so sorry that your thread has gone this way. I do agree with other posters here that the best thing to do is get a good immigration lawyer, and while I can't suggest one, I know others have. Try searching old threads and I think you can find some good referrals. I think too many people have not read this thread very thoroughly, which can be annoying, and way too many people got up on the wrong side of the bed and just have a bad attitude today. Most of the time, people on VJ ARE compassionate and supportive, even in unique cases. I wish I could offer better advice. Please know that I wish you the best.

You can have sex 1000 times with your spouse, is he/she says no one time and you force him/her, it is still rape.

either answer the op's question without the judgmental comments or don't post at all. if you find it difficult to post without the judgmental comments or without hijacking the thread, vj moderation can assist you.

Edited by charles!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

So, OP? Can you answer my question?

not pertinent to the conversation - cease and desist.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I may be wrong, correct me if I am but... Nobody thought it is strange that she is trying to get asylum through the church that, from what he said on post #5 does not even exist anymore? And the "church" did not report to the police OR her attorney that she was raped twice since she has no English skills??? Did they think that praying would change the fact that she was a victim of rape?? And now she is working illegally as a nanny?? Too many wrong things in just one story. Also, who is telling this whole story, Angelina or Brad?

The point is not if it was rape or not, ever heard on the news about fathers/uncles/grandpas/etc raping their relatives?? It does not matter if you know or not the person, if it is forced intercourse IT IS rape. Period. But anyway, she trusted Bob and yes awful he did that to her, good for her she married somebody else who is good to her BUT what the heck with the asylum because of religious beliefs? Does that even exist? Is it a real reason to be granted asylum? Please correct me if I am wrong. Something just sounds wrong about it all but best bet is a good and different attorney not a public forum. :huh:

This was posted before and she did call the police according to this old post:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/229368-she-came-k1-with-another-manbut-it-wasnt-happily-ever-afteruntil-me/

The details is not consistent.

Just like N M, I was told repeatedly that we had to get married within 90 days. The officer repeated the date she stamped on my visa like a hundred times. I am sure that is the case with everyone entering the US on a K1 visa.

Did Angelina ever tell you why she decided to stay in the US after having gone through such a nightmare in such a short period of time? I know If something like this happened to me I' d give anything to go back home and be with my family and friends, especially if I had no one to lean on here and barely spoke English.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Because according to Bob, or is it Brad, she has limited to no English skills, she did not turn to the Police but to her church but whom I believe also has a duty to report a crime, as violent as this alleged crime was, to the police.

Exactly :thumbs: THE CHURCH SHOULD HAVE REPORTED IT....I can't see a church not reporting a crime especially of this kind RAPE. :(

VMnmm7.pngrSeTm7.png

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I typed a huge text but couldn't post lol oh well... Anyway, anyone else think is strange the asylum case because of religious beliefs? Why didn't the church (that does not even exist anymore) help her? Why did her attorney suggest that instead of taking her to the nearest police station and report the 02 rapes???? And now she is working as a nanny illegally and going to college? With what documentation???

Something does not make sense in this whole story, who is telling this story? Angelina or Brad? Somebody correct me if I am wrong with the asylum stuff.

Brad is telling the story. As he tells the story, the asylum case is based on having joined an "underground church" in violation of Chinese law and the concern about prosecution or persecution regarding that religious decision. I have no opinion about whether that will fly. We really can't help here. This is attorney territory.

Brad,

What have you been doing about this since you posted in 2009? It's probably time to listen to what you were told then. Among other advise you received, I told you...

I'm afraid your viable choices are probably illegally living in the USA or living together in China for ten years. As your wife, she may be able to live in another Southeast Asian Country. Singapore, the Philippines or Malaysia may be viable options.

....You are now running out of choices. I hope you are prepared to make one and follow through with it.

Would you also be kind enough to reconcile the conflict in these two statements you posted earlier. You say she has not been able to establish contact with her church but also say she is working for church member.

While here in America, she has not been able to establish any contact with her church members (dead phone numbers, emails, etc.)<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 253); "><br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 253); ">Angelina has been working jobs as a nanny/baby-sitter for church members here in America. All cash, just a small monthly income to support herself, as she cannot apply for employment legally.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

MatthewNCarolina anyone who are persecuted because of their religion or may suffer persecution can file an application for asylum on the grounds of "religious persecution".The US State Department reports shows Chinese mistreatment of practitioners of minority religions. Thet U.S. government only grant asylum to people who have a real fear of persecution or people who suffered sever persecution in the past.

Timeline

as it seems the op has his answers from several knowledgeable members, this thread is now locked to prevent any additional judgmental posts.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.