Colesy

You folks scare the junk out of me

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Romania
Timeline

I have a friend, from Romania, who is not well off financially. I'd love to visit Bucharest, but it, at the time, seemed more sensible for her to visit first as I have nearly 6 months of vacation days saved up. We're figuring 4-5 months of goofing off all on my dime. We had planned to hit Philly (closest to me), Washington, Pittsburgh, MD, Dayton, and NYC as well as a cabin that is owned by a group I belong to. I never would have imagined the types of grief folks here have gone through just to have a friend come to share the sights.

The problem, from what I see, is her lack of having a dreamjob, a house, and a lack of many family members. She has a Mom nearby and she left a job teaching English to elementary school Romanians. The cost will be mostly mine. She has a few thousand rubles in her account. I made the invite, I feel like I should shoulder most of the costs (as well as most of the trips being my idea).

From what I've read, this is Red Flag central. Is there any way to allow her to visit? She will surely be returning home, but I'd love if she visited again in a year or two.

Has anyone else dealt with this?

I'm new to this. I've only been to the 18 states and my only trip outside the US was to the Dominican Republic. How has everyone else dealt with this?

Best wishes,

Colesy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

There is a chance she could get a visa, but it is not a great chance. Probably less than 50/50. Only one way to find out and that is to have her apply.

You should be thinking more about going there to visit as this is how most of us have dealt with the problem,

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I have a friend, from Romania, who is not well off financially. I'd love to visit Bucharest, but it, at the time, seemed more sensible for her to visit first as I have nearly 6 months of vacation days saved up. We're figuring 4-5 months of goofing off all on my dime. We had planned to hit Philly (closest to me), Washington, Pittsburgh, MD, Dayton, and NYC as well as a cabin that is owned by a group I belong to. I never would have imagined the types of grief folks here have gone through just to have a friend come to share the sights.

The problem, from what I see, is her lack of having a dreamjob, a house, and a lack of many family members. She has a Mom nearby and she left a job teaching English to elementary school Romanians. The cost will be mostly mine. She has a few thousand rubles in her account. I made the invite, I feel like I should shoulder most of the costs (as well as most of the trips being my idea).

From what I've read, this is Red Flag central. Is there any way to allow her to visit? She will surely be returning home, but I'd love if she visited again in a year or two.

Has anyone else dealt with this?

I'm new to this. I've only been to the 18 states and my only trip outside the US was to the Dominican Republic. How has everyone else dealt with this?

Best wishes,

Colesy

Young, poor, single, and recently left her job are all negative factors in your friend getting a visitor visa. With you paying for her trip, it makes it even less likely that she will get a visitor visa. It doesn't seem that she has much that would indicate she would return to Romania. Her mother, father, and siblings are not strong ties for a young and single woman. You paying for her trip indicates she cannot afford her trip on her own, and you could be a resource if she decides to illegally stay in the US.

Your friend will not know if she qualify for a visitor visa without applying. She should apply. She should also be aware her chances are low for getting a visa.

She can apply for a tourist visa and may get lucky. But most likely as she's a young woman with only minimal ties it will be denied.

If you have up to six months vacation time you could consider a long vacation in Europe. As a Romanian she will be able to travel to lots of different countries in Europe with no visa issues. You could have an amazing time together visiting lots of different countries - it doesn't have to be very expensive if you plan well and book some things in advance etc.

Or if you don't fancy Europe how about an extended vacation around Central and South America? That could be amazing.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Here is a fun fact.

Romania is one of four countries designated to join the VWP. To be a VWP country, the visitor visa denial rate must be less than 3%. Currently, the Romanian rate for visitor visa denial is about 25%. As long as the denial rate is above 3%, Romania cannot be a VWP country.

With every bad case, the chances of Romania becoming a VWP decreases.

If only people with good chances of getting visitor visas apply and the denial rate drop below 3%, the chances the Romania will become a VWP will increase.

Filed: Timeline

Here is a fun fact.

Romania is one of four countries designated to join the VWP. To be a VWP country, the visitor visa denial rate must be less than 3%. Currently, the Romanian rate for visitor visa denial is about 25%. As long as the denial rate is above 3%, Romania cannot be a VWP country.

With every bad case, the chances of Romania becoming a VWP decreases.

If only people with good chances of getting visitor visas apply and the denial rate drop below 3%, the chances the Romania will become a VWP will increase.

No Romanian gets 5 months of paid vacation....and the abuse rate from Romania is far above what is required to join the VWP...(and the country's currency is NOT the ruble; it's the lei)

Her chances are nil....because how could a VO justify giving a visa to someone who has absolutely no reason to return? If she can 'goof off' for several months, leaving her parents behind, her former students, etc, then why not permanently?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

2 options

1 - Have your friend apply for tourist via.

2 - goof off in friend's home country instead. The friend can work on establishing stronger ties to home country while you're there, or before you get there if she decides to later on visit the US.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How did you meet :innocent:

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Traveling and goofing off in Europe sounds better in many ways. And with her chances...for you too. Can she visit other European countries? Hungary, Germany, Croatia...all sound fun for your nearly 6 months saved up Vacation!!! Plus "your dime" would stretch out more in these countries. Train rides. Villas. Photographic moments...wow I have sold it to myself. :thumbs:

event.png

event.png

I know of 2 people in Romania who were young , in college , no strong ties To Romania who were denied visitor visa and were told that college students rarely are approved visitor visas. I also know of 2 young girls, college students, zero money or property in their name with family both in US and Romania and they were approved visitor visas with no issues, one of them for 10 years. The IOs were rights in those cases as they both visited family and returned to school so you never know until you try.

It`s true that lack of strong ties decrease chances significantly but if she never applies chances are zero :). Good luck!

mGDboiw.jpgmGDbm4.png

zzflag019.gif united-states-flag.gif

03/31/2010 filed I129

12/16/2010 Interwiew-Approved

02/07/2011 POE-Chicago

03/16/2011 Wedding!!!

05/23/2011 AOS,EAD,AP apps sent

07/15/2011 EAD, AP approved

10/05/2011 AOS approved

Filed: Timeline

Traveling and goofing off in Europe sounds better in many ways. And with her chances...for you too. Can she visit other European countries? Hungary, Germany, Croatia...all sound fun for your nearly 6 months saved up Vacation!!! Plus "your dime" would stretch out more in these countries. Train rides. Villas. Photographic moments...wow I have sold it to myself. :thumbs:

Yes, Romanians can travel anywhere in the EU/Schengen area visa free.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

As can be evidenced by a quick trip on the Tube......

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Honestly, if you have a few months off visit her in Bucharest... It's a beautiful city and there is so much to do. Your savings will also go much further there than it will here. The currency exchanges to about 3 to 1so for every hundred dollars you're looking at about 300 Romanian Lei which is a lot of money! I would say just visit her and possibly travel Europe.

As far as her visa application - I highly doubt you have any chance of being granted a visitors visa. Sorry! :(

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.