doodlebug

honeymoon with the WHOLE family?

417 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

I have already posted that my state does recognize non-govt-registered marriages so this is an incorrect statement... when filing for any visa one has to follow immigration law which does not always reflect federal/state govt of this country.

And that is why I ask why you choose to follow the laws that suit you and ignore those that do not suit you? There is nothing against Islam is having a legally recognized marriage and everything against having one with no protection or enforcement.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

Who's to say I have not?

He's not here. What you did over there doesn't count.

A marriage contract with two witnesses does.

You fulfilled the requirements of the CEREMONY, not the MARRIAGE. Two separate and distinct elements.

Edited by szsz

Filed: Timeline
I have already posted that my state does recognize non-govt-registered marriages so this is an incorrect statement... when filing for any visa one has to follow immigration law which does not always reflect federal/state govt of this country.

And that is why I ask why you choose to follow the laws that suit you and ignore those that do not suit you? There is nothing against Islam is having a legally recognized marriage and everything against having one with no protection or enforcement.

This is a matter of legality.... not Islam.... there is nothing in Islam that requires anyone to register any marriage with any govt.

Timeline

This is a matter of legality.... not Islam.... there is nothing in Islam that requires anyone to register any marriage with any govt.

That is a red herring position. The ulema of the country where you had a paper marriage require it, and they are charged with interpreting the rules of Islam within their madhab, so you have thumbed your nose at them, and thus, at what Islam requires. You have not obeyed the laws of the land as we as Muslims are commanded to do.

You have nothing to support your marriage, that is why paper marriages don't fall into the realm of advisability or permissibility. If you were both illiterate paupers going by custom, it may be understandable, but you went for the veneer of allowance, that's all. Even paper marriages have laws behind them to give them support, but they usually obtain them in court after the fact.

Edited by szsz

Filed: Timeline

I agree with your first assertion, and I would agree with the second, as well. However, you have posted your business here under the guise of permissibility in Islam. That is where we part ways. Marriage with no recognition,

Who has to recognize it? With the proof from Quran and Sunnah please?

no means of protection,

Protection from what exactly?

no means of shura

You'll have to explain what this has to do with marriage. Is society gonna elect my husband?

or divorce,

Why no divorce? I promise it's a lot easier to leave a marriage if you don't have the red tape to go through.

or inheritance,

The US does not allow for Islamic inheritance.... ever heard of a will??

no recouse,

Recourse for what exactly?

no way to stop a spouse from taking a legal partner

Preventing him from marrying up to three other wives if he so chooses and does so in a proper Islamic manner is not somethng I consider my right.

is not a marriage sanctioned by Islam, and it is imperative that people know that to be the case.

So for those of us who are unable to afford to pay to have civil matter rights enforced... none of us can be Islamically married? :unsure:

That is a red herring position. The ulema of the country where you had a paper marriage require it, and they are charged with interpreting the rules of Islam within their madhab, so you have thumbed your nose at them, and thus, at what Islam requires. You have not obeyed the laws of the land as we as Muslims are commanded to do.

I did not thumb my nose at them and there are plenty of laws in Egypt that are not Islamic... Neither me nor my husband are citizens of that country.

You have nothing to support your marriage, that is why paper marriages don't fall into the realm of advisability or permissibility. If you were both illiterate paupers going by custom, it may be understandable, but you went for the veneer of allowance, that's all. Even paper marriages have laws behind them to give them support, but they usually obtain them in court after the fact.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Veiled Princess

Timeline

I will leave you with this advice, Layla. I was married for nearly 30 years and we were mere children when we married. I was so blind about many things, as you are now, but I learned over time. One thing that my parents taught me that saved me was to have HIGH standards for myself and my husband and to pass on high expectations to our children.

You surrender your rights, bend over backward to defend your surrender as halal. You have such low expectations of marriage, I fear for you. You made bad choices in your first marriage, from what you have posted, you receive no child support. How much will you expect from this man if this is how he begins with you?

Edited by szsz

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

This topic has been closed for violating the Terms of Service. Thank you for your understanding.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.