doodlebug

Using a lawyer

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Are there any stats here that show whether or not using a lawyer speeds up the visa process? Has anyone ever done a poll or something?

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

A lawyer cannot speed up a case. If one is dreadful at filling out forms and reading instructions, or if there is a complication to a case, you may want to consider one. Other than that, you may be paying a very expensive secretary.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

If your visa process is relatively uncomplicated (no arrests, no past issues with the US regarding visa problems, overstays etc) then the whole process is collecting information, filling out forms and sending them to the correct address with the correct amount of money. Having a lawyer sign that he filled the papers out for you doesn't seem to speed anything along. And, there have been several instances on this board where lawyers have messed things up, and delayed the process (I think this happened to Jackie if I can remember correctly).

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Timeline

I've heard more bad than good about using lawyers. Lawyers don't have a magic wand and cannot speed things up. If that were the case we'd all be using them. I work for lawyers and could've used their services for free but I did not. I can read and understand the petitions so why not do it myself? Like rahma said..if your case is pretty basic then a lawyer isn't really necessary.

It happened to Icey also.

If your visa process is relatively uncomplicated (no arrests, no past issues with the US regarding visa problems, overstays etc) then the whole process is collecting information, filling out forms and sending them to the correct address with the correct amount of money. Having a lawyer sign that he filled the papers out for you doesn't seem to speed anything along. And, there have been several instances on this board where lawyers have messed things up, and delayed the process (I think this happened to Jackie if I can remember correctly).

I wonder if those here that sent their petitions to the wrong place or forgot to sign a form or didn't realize they needed certain information think that their time would have been shortened if they had hired someone knowlegeable to look over their petition before sending it in.

Noone can answer for you whether you need a lawyer or not. Just because they did not, doesn't translate that others should not. Each person has their own aptitude and ability for submitting the paperwork. What one person finds easy, the next may not.

Translation:

I didn't use a lawyer and you shouldn't either = I'm willing to risk your future with my advice.

Read the guides...ask questions...fill out the forms... then decide if you are more comfortable with a lawyer looking over what you have done and helping you submit it.

You don't often hear stories about where a lawyer was helpful or averted a delay, because satisfaction doesn't compel speaking out.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I am the kind of person who likes to do that stuff myself cause I don't trust anyone else to do that for me. It's a tough call. A lawyer can fill out every form perfectly, then they can forget to send a check. You could forget to send a check too though. It really is not hard though and I personally would reccomend doing it yourself. Don't forget we will be here to help you and with everyone here combined we have a lot of knowledge and will be able to offer advice and answers... for free!

Good luck,

Sarah

I used a lawyer in filing my K1. We were completely stress-free believing in his abilities. We did not do very much research as again, we were comfortable with his expertise. Only after he was refused at the interview did we realize that our lawyer did not have that much familiarity with petitions involving arab men. He had no idea what AR/AP/221(g) was. That was enough for us! We fired him and we took over.

I want to repeat. Our K1 was ULTRA STRESS FREE because we handed the cause over to our lawyer. I may have checked our online status once or twice the whole time! If you want someone to back you, again, look into having a lawyer help with your petition, but again, speeding up the case is not one of the outcomes.

Incidently I joined VJ the day of our 1st K1 interview, after the fact of course, utterly unprepared for the situation we were in.

A lawyer also doesn't have as much personally invested in your case as you do. Sure we're humans and we can make mistakes but I'll tell you that I checked and rechecked the contents of my I-130 and I-129F packages before I sent them out. I made sure nothing was forgotten. Will a lawyer or his secretary do that for you? Who knows. Do you want to take that chance? I wouldn't. As far as sending it to a wrong address..a lawyer's secretary could very well do the same thing. That's why if you're doing it yourself you research the process and ask questions before you do anything.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thanks. I'm not afraid of filling out complicated forms since I'm a CPA but I was just curious if lawyers had a special "in" somehow that made things go a wee bit quicker. Guess I have my answer then! :thumbs:

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I just want to add that before beginning this process, I spoke to many ppl in another forum who were already in the process or had done it before. I was majorly panicked at filing my own papers b/c I'm horrible w/ paperwork & I loathe it (LOATHE IT!!!). I wanted to hire an attorney. Well, my good friends said "If you have the money to blow, go for it, but no one **NO ONE** cares abt your case as much as you do. You can do this and we can help you." They also turned me on to VJ :thumbs: Well, here we are... almost have my sweetie here - no help from an attorney. It *is* possible - even for those mortified of paperwork :P .

Thanks girls... you know who you are that helped me along the way - particularly in the early stages! (F)

Noura

Met briefly in Baton Rouge, LA Nov. 2003 - not available :(

Met again in Baton Rouge, LA March 25, 2005 - 2 souls feel as 1

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

Daily phonecalls, discover internet chatting w/ video cam - OMG!!!

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

April 24, 2006- mailed in K1 Visa package - TSC

Oct 5, 2006 - Interview SUCCESS

Oct 12, 2006 - Called to pick up visa tomorrow!

Oct. 16, 2006 VISA IN HAND!

Dec. 24, 2006 - Said arrives in NOLA, just in time for the holidaze!

Dec. 31, 2006 - OUR WEDDING!!! Ringing in a New Year as husband & wife!

Jan 8, 2007 - applied for SSN

Jan 15, 2007 - recieved SSN

Feb 6, 2007 - checks cashed for AOS/EAD/AP - YAY!

Feb 8, 2007 - NOA1 on AOS/EAD/AP

Feb 14, 07 - touched EAD/AP

March 8, 07 - Biometrics appt in NOLA

April 17, 07 - AP approved

April 19, 07 - EAD approved

glitter_maker_12_25_2006_00_00_12_97213.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I know my case was different as I wasn't filing from a ME country BUT we almost hired a lawyer too - even had a consultation. He knew our WHOLE case and never even MENTIONED DCF...which through Australia is pretty commonplace....

Good thing I found this site or I would have wasted many months, and thousands of dollars.

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Thanks. I'm not afraid of filling out complicated forms since I'm a CPA but I was just curious if lawyers had a special "in" somehow that made things go a wee bit quicker. Guess I have my answer then! :thumbs:

I consulted with 4 different lawyers before hand and received 2 different answers. One told me I was wasting my time trying to get a visa, it would be never granted. The other 3 said they had 99% to 100% success rates and could guarantee my fiance would be here in less then 6 months from filing. (hahaha... what a knee-slapper)

Moral of this story: Yes, they're providing a service that some cases really demand and I know there are some very good lawyers out there, but so many are just vying for your dollar. We ended up not using one. As Rahma said, if you have extenuating circumstances then I think its a very good investment and you should research your prospective lawyer's experience before deciding, but for those who have a fairly simple case I think its a waste of money unless a person has a wretched times with forms and organization.

I thought that using a lawyer would be more professional and help in the process. I was so wrong.

I paid our lawyer (chokes to this day on that word) $2,000.00. His paralegal sent in the I130, so that was good. But then she sent the I129f for K3 to Nebraska, and not Missouri. By the time I figured out that I was supposed to have a MSC number and not a LIN number, it was 4 months. I called the lawyer and he called me a liar. HIS girl would not have made that mistake. Well, after another month he admitted that she did make a mistake. It took him and his office 6 months more to get it refiled to the correct place.

Now follow this up with 2 RFE's for additional errors. From marriage til visa, 2 agonizing, painful years apart.

My moral of the story is----no one cares about your petition more than you.

Jackie

What do you have when your lawyer is up to his neck in sand? pm me for the answer :P

NO! When Mohammed got here, we went to his office (my husband said 'i put my leg in his azz') :lol:

He did not apoligize for the delays, he asked for $1500 additional to file the EAD/AOS!!!!!!!! We said, thanks but no thanks and parted ways that day.

Jackie

(this man actually said after the first year, 'why do you want him here so fast, hes only marrying for a greencard') :huh:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.