missy_antha

Does the American Citizen need to supply Original Documents for my interview?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Will I need to provide the original divorce documents (Decree Nisi) to prove that my Fiance the american citizen is free to marry me when I get to the USA or will photocopies from him suffice.

I've never been married so I will not need to provide any.

6/05/06 - Mailed off the I29f

06/20/06 - Cheque cashed

7/07/06 - Still not received NOA1. Call CSC. They have input our address incorrectly. Give them the correct details. Also find out what our case number is from them so can check for touches!

07/13/06 - Receive RFE

07/26/06 - Email confirmation they have RFE

07/27/06 - Touched

08/23/07 - Call CSC to find out where NOA1 is and what date was on it. As it was sent to the wrong address it came back as undeliverable. They will not send it out again unless we send them a written request. However date was;

06/09/06 - NOA1

09/07/06 - NOA2 email confirmation

09/28/06 - NVC say they have sent details to US Embassy in London

12/09/06 - Sent back packet 3 recorded delivery

10/30/06 - Medical

11/06/06 - Interview confirmed 1st December!

01/17/07 - Wedding booked in Vegas

Originals, :no:

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Timeline

Is that a yes or a no???

if you are going to reply, try doing it without the sarcasm or really please don't bother.

06/20/06 - Cheque cashed

7/07/06 - Still not received NOA1. Call CSC. They have input our address incorrectly. Give them the correct details. Also find out what our case number is from them so can check for touches!

07/13/06 - Receive RFE

07/27/06 - Touched

08/23/07 - Call CSC to find out where NOA1 is and what date was on it. As it was sent to the wrong address it came back as undeliverable. They will not send it out again unless we send them a written request. However date was;

06/09/06 - NOA1

10/30/06 - Medical

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Is that a yes or a no???

if you are going to reply, try doing it without the sarcasm or really please don't bother.

My understanding is that the only originals that are needed to be included in the I-129F petition are the (4) pages of the G325a and the statement of intent to marry (I assume due to the signature line). All other documents can be copies (with corresponding english translations if required). That is how I prepared my previous k-1 and did not have an issue.

Is that a yes or a no???

My understanding is that the only originals that are needed to be included in the I-129F petition are the (4) pages of the G325a and the statement of intent to marry (I assume due to the signature line). All other documents can be copies (with corresponding english translations if required). That is how I prepared my previous k-1 and did not have an issue.

My mistake... at your stage of the process originals should be available

YMMV

Timeline

Fwaguy. Thanks for the response I really appreciate it.

My fiance thinks that the copies are all that I will need, as it is the London Embassy, he says they are only interested in proving that I am eligible for marriage and that if I had been married I would need to supply my original copies. However he thinks I won't need his originials as he thinks he would have had an RFE back at the beginning of the process if they had any queries regarding his divorce.

He is not very keen to send the originals in the post to me just in case they get lost. That is why I am trying to find out if it could be a problem if I only have copies?

If I need to have his original documents then he will have to send them, but I would really appreciate if someone could give me a definitive answer on this.

If you can't help thanks for reading this anyway.

All the very best to all VJs and remember that though you might think the answer is obvious it may not always be to the person posing the question. We can all be a bit thick sometimes and the good thing about this site is that you are not made to feel small - normally -even if the question appears a bit obvious to some VJs

Missyx

06/20/06 - Cheque cashed

07/13/06 - Receive RFE

07/27/06 - Touched

06/09/06 - NOA1

10/30/06 - Medical

Filed: Timeline

missy_antha,

Photocopies of supporting documentation may be provided with petitions and applications, but a consular or immigration officer can at any time ask to see the original.

The visa interview (and later the adjustment interview) is a convenient opportunity for consular officers (and later USCIS officers) to verify photocopied documents, and they often take advantage of the opportunity to do a spot check of an item or two.

Yodrak

Will I need to provide the original divorce documents (Decree Nisi) to prove that my Fiance the american citizen is free to marry me when I get to the USA or will photocopies from him suffice.

I've never been married so I will not need to provide any.

Yup, agree with Yodrak. From what I have read on VJ, they may ask for any of the originals of items submitted with the I-129F petition. Imagine going to the interview and not having one of these originals, you would be in big trouble. I would rather have my fiance take originals of everything I submitted than be denied or have the need for my fiance to attend another interview. :yes:

* * * * * * * * * K-1 VISA * * * * * * * * * * * *

06/21/06: Submitted I-129F to the CSC

10/18/06: NOA2 DATE

01/29/07: MEDICAL IN CDJ

01/30/07: INTERVIEW in CDJ **My fiance receives his visa**

03/31/07-04/08/07: I leave to Mexico and bring back my fiance

04/08/07: U.S. ENTRY at LAX

04/23/07: Married in Vegas

* * * * * * * *AOS, AP, & EAD * * * * * * * * * *

05/24/07: Submitted AOS, AP, EAD

06/01/07: NOA1 for AOS & EAD, NOA1 for AP missing, but they received forms

06/06/07: TOUCHED (AOS, AP, EAD)

06/23/07: RFE for I-864 paperwork

07/03/07: Biometrics for AOS & EAD

07/03/07: TOUCHED (EAD)

07/07/07: Submitted response to RFE

07/18/07: TOUCHED (AOS) They received RFE response

08/08/07: AP APPROVED

08/10/07: EAD APPROVED

10/17/07: AOS interview in Los Angeles -- APPROVED, pending name check :(

02/08/08: Name check has cleared, Notice welcoming new resident is mailed out

02/12/08: Card Production ordered, woohoo

02/15/08: Notice welcoming new resident is received

02/21/08: GREEN CARD IN HAND

08/23/08: After 7 years together . . . Religious wedding ceremony and HUGE PARTY in Jalisco, Mexico (we deserve it)

08/24-08/30: Spend our honeymoon in Acapulco, Mexico

Link to video clip of our wedding: http://www.youtube.com/user/dstradaproducc...f/1/wHiId9HZVRc

Nov. 2009: File to Remove Conditions

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Originals vs. Certified copies.....do we accurately distinguish between the 2?

I have certified copies of all my original documents to take to the interview, but the actual originals are filed with the appropriate offices in my community.

ONE DAY AT A TIME....

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

12/30/2008: Overnighted I-751 package to VSC

01/06/2009: Check cashed

01/06/2009: NOA (arrived 01/09/09)

01/23/2009: Biometrics appt letter received

01/31/2009: Biometrics scheduled

05/20/2009: APPROVED

06/23/2009: 10 Year Green Card arrived

I have certified copies of all my original documents to take to the interview, but the actual originals are filed with the appropriate offices in my community.

VERY good question TracyLuis! I went to get my "original" marriage certificate and divorce decree from Queens Bench Court and was advised that NO ONE is allowed to have the original! They provide certified copies, with the "originals" held in a court file that is never released. The certified copy is sealed and stamped and noted that it is a certified copy of the original document. Apparently the "keepers" of said documents are the only ones with authority to certify same. I did get several "certified" copies for future applications, at a low price. I also noted in my Package 3 from Vancouver Consulate, that it does say originals or certified copy, so I do know that a certified copy is acceptable.

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Timeline

TracyLuis,

Probably not. Although I'm a stickler for precision, to minimize confusion and the possibility of misunderstanding, in this case I think the two words can pretty safely be used interchangeably.

The word where there's most need for precission to avoid confusion is the word 'copy'. Saying something like, 'My copy of ....' could be referring to anything from an 'original' to a 'certified copy' to a 'photocopy' of either of the first two.

And what does one call an electronic document that one prints out off the internet or company network, such as a paystub for someone who is paid by direct deposit? Print it out on the office printer-copier, put the printout imediately onto the glass of the same machine, make a photocopy of it, and practically speaking which is the 'original' and which is the 'copy'?

Yodrak

Edited by Yodrak

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Specifically, I'm referring to marriage certificates, divorce decrees, and birth certificates. My husband and I will be supplying the CO with certified copies of each of these documents. I always find it confusing to refer to "originals", when it should really be "certified copies"...I'm very much a stickler for details/specifics. We all pretty much have to be when it comes to this extremely complicated and paper-happy process :yes:

And yes, Yodrak...we should definitely distinguish clearly between "copies" and "certified copies". It would save much headache, I'm sure.

ONE DAY AT A TIME....

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

12/30/2008: Overnighted I-751 package to VSC

01/06/2009: Check cashed

01/06/2009: NOA (arrived 01/09/09)

01/23/2009: Biometrics appt letter received

01/31/2009: Biometrics scheduled

05/20/2009: APPROVED

06/23/2009: 10 Year Green Card arrived

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.