Phayamoa

2 Year Green Card- Do I need a I-131 Travel Document?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Laos
Timeline

I have googled this a hundred times (well too many too count anyways). My wife's 2 year green card is set to expire in December 2012 and I am really hoping to go travel in July for approximately 3-4 weeks and come back to the United States.

Do I have to waste money to get her a travel document (I-131) even though it is only valid for the duration of her 2 year green card?

Can she just travel out of the country with me for 3-4 weeks and come back to the United States and reenter with her 2 year green card? (All the googled resources I have found said "Yes", she can reenter with a green card.)

I do not intend to file for her green card renewal until October when she is eligible 90 days out.

We have a child, so it should be pretty obvious that we are committed too.

P.S. She is going back to laos with me and has a valid passport.

Edited by Phayamoa

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

July 2012? No problems at all for re-entry with just a green card and a passport.

She may have issues going to the other countries, though - make certain that she does or does not need a tourist visa for the places you are travelling.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Laos
Timeline

Enjoy your trip to Laos. You have the GC so no problems :D

K1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Laos

I-129F Sent : 2011-07-16

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-07-19

I-129F RFE(s) : 2011-11-28

RFE Reply(s) : 2011-12-13 Received my initial evidence, 2012-01-03 congressional inquiry conducted; officer is looking at the documents; says should have decision in a few weeks

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-01-25

NVC Received : 2012-02-03

NVC Left : 2012-02-14

Consulate Received : 2012-02-21

Packet 3 Received : 2012-02-29

Packet 3 Sent : 2012-03-19

Packet 4 Received : 2012-04-02

Interview Date : 2012-05-10

2012-05-25 Evidence given to consular officer.

Interview Result : Approved!

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Visa Received :

We travelled out of the country for (11) months, returned, travelled out 4 weeks later for (5) months, then returned again on a CR1.

You are going to be fine.

A travel document is for stays out of the US for (1) year or longer. Have a safe trip!

I have googled this a hundred times (well too many too count anyways). My wife's 2 year green card is set to expire in December 2012 and I am really hoping to go travel in July for approximately 3-4 weeks and come back to the United States.

Do I have to waste money to get her a travel document (I-131) even though it is only valid for the duration of her 2 year green card?

Can she just travel out of the country with me for 3-4 weeks and come back to the United States and reenter with her 2 year green card? (All the googled resources I have found said "Yes", she can reenter with a green card.)

I do not intend to file for her green card renewal until October when she is eligible 90 days out.

We have a child, so it should be pretty obvious that we are committed too.

P.S. She is going back to laos with me and has a valid passport.

i don't get it.

Doesnt make a difference where the passport is from. A valid green card is adequate for US entry/exit (as long as the passport is unexpired LOL)

Is her valid Passport a Lao passport? or a US re-entry permit for GC holders?

i don't get it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.