Edcol

I seem to have a problem

10 posts in this topic

I was reviewing my form I-751 and i realized the person that filled it out made a mistake. I am the beneficiary and all my information is correct but my wife's date of birth is wrong she was born on 1980 and the year that the person that filed for us put 1981. I dont know if this will affect aanything since the first time we went to interview for the conditional we brought all the original s and copies of her Passport also the Marriage certificate has the exact dates of birth and well she is is the american so why would she lie?, Do you think that is going to be a problem?.

Also what is going on I am nervous, MY receipt date at vermont is MAY 11 and notice date is MAY 22nd. Its been almost 5 months and I am freaking out. What would happens if I call?, We had trouble with some mail getting lost a month ago can i explain this to them and ask them is any other notices were mailed?. Please let me know what your opinions are.

Regards

Edited by Edcol

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I was reviewing my form I-751 and i realized the person that filled it out made a mistake. I am the beneficiary and all my information is correct but my wife's date of birth is wrong she was born on 1980 and the year that the person that filed for us put 1981. I dont know if this will affect aanything since the first time we went to interview for the conditional we brought all the original s and copies of her Passport also the Marriage certificate has the exact dates of birth and well she is is the american so why would she lie?, Do you think that is going to be a problem?.

Also what is going on I am nervous, MY receipt date at vermont is MAY 11 and notice date is MAY 22nd. Its been almost 5 months and I am freaking out. What would happens if I call?, We had trouble with some mail getting lost a month ago can i explain this to them and ask them is any other notices were mailed?. Please let me know what your opinions are.

Always, always, always fill out your own forms.

If you don't follow that advice, you should at least check the work of the person who does - BEFORE sending them in.

I dunno why you would have someone else fill out this form anyway, considering how easy this particular form is. Two pages of form with, what, 4 pages of instructions? Sheeesh.

That said, I don't think you need to do anything. It was an honest mistake, due to simple ineptitude, not an attempt to lie, deceive, or cheat. Since your wife's birthday isn't going to appear on any documents that will be issued to you, it's not something that you should worry about trying to correct, in my opinion. If you do get called for an interview, then at that time, you might want to mention the error so they can correct it, if they care.

Good luck!

AKDiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Well we did it to avoid that as a matter of fact, an error, they helped us prepare the package as well and I did not wanted to have the risk of doing it wrong. They also helped us and advise us when the first part was sent. Yes I made the mistake of probably checking only my side but oh well IT"S DONE and I just wanted an answer for what could happen plus we all humans and we make mistakes. Thanks for the answer anyways.

Regards

Always, always, always fill out your own forms.

If you don't follow that advice, you should at least check the work of the person who does - BEFORE sending them in.

I dunno why you would have someone else fill out this form anyway, considering how easy this particular form is. Two pages of form with, what, 4 pages of instructions? Sheeesh.

That said, I don't think you need to do anything. It was an honest mistake, due to simple ineptitude, not an attempt to lie, deceive, or cheat. Since your wife's birthday isn't going to appear on any documents that will be issued to you, it's not something that you should worry about trying to correct, in my opinion. If you do get called for an interview, then at that time, you might want to mention the error so they can correct it, if they care.

Good luck!

AKDiver

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

unlike akadiver I have mada few mistakes in my life, lol If they find soemthign wrong with it, they will send it back and it should be a quick fix. I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it, we al make mistakes. I get confused with the proper format of dates al lthe tiem, is the day first, or the month? Varies from country to country!! best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

For my AOS I filled out my own form and got my OWN DOB incorrect :lol: Don't be worried. They may RFE you at which point you can correct them. Believe it or not, they do sometimes understand that everyone is human.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Timeline
unlike akadiver I have mada few mistakes in my life, lol If they find soemthign wrong with it, they will send it back and it should be a quick fix. I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it, we al make mistakes. I get confused with the proper format of dates al lthe tiem, is the day first, or the month?
Hey, I make plenty of mistakes - daily!! I was just trying to point out that NO ONE has a greater incentive to make sure your forms are correct than you do. This being the case, since one has the greatest interest in one's own form, it only makes logical sense that one is most likely to end up with correct forms by doing them oneself.
Well we did it to avoid that as a matter of fact, an error, they helped us prepare the package as well and I did not wanted to have the risk of doing it wrong.
In this case, the OP says he had someone else do them to avoid a mistake, and yet, that's exactly what happened! I was pointing out the flaw in this logic, and, as it so happens, the OP's theory is what led to the mistake being caused. Hmm...go figure.

It's also worth pointing out that when it comes to the practical advice, you said the same thing I did, more or less. So there! (:

That being said, honestly, I just don't see how people make such trivial, obvious mistakes with this stuff. I wonder do they just not take the forms seriously, or just whip through them as fast as they can, or what? For example - I JUST did this form over the weekend. I spent about 8 hours Friday night on it. Then I spent, literally, all day Saturday, from about 1030am until 1030pm on it. That's a total of about 20 hours start to finish, filling out the actual form, getting the evidence together (which, incidentially, was ALREADY collected and organized from previous filings), printing things out, making copies, getting it organized into the package, writing cover letters explaining everything, looking over everything with a fine tooth comb, over and over, having OTHERS look it over, etc. etc. etc. I'd be willing to be that people making simple mistakes on such forms are just not spending enough time on them. But that's just a guess.

Good luck to all!

Cheers!

AKDiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Timeline
unlike akadiver I have mada few mistakes in my life, lol If they find soemthign wrong with it, they will send it back and it should be a quick fix. I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it, we al make mistakes. I get confused with the proper format of dates al lthe tiem, is the day first, or the month?
Hey, I make plenty of mistakes - daily!! I was just trying to point out that NO ONE has a greater incentive to make sure your forms are correct than you do. This being the case, since one has the greatest interest in one's own form, it only makes logical sense that one is most likely to end up with correct forms by doing them oneself.
Well we did it to avoid that as a matter of fact, an error, they helped us prepare the package as well and I did not wanted to have the risk of doing it wrong.
In this case, the OP says he had someone else do them to avoid a mistake, and yet, that's exactly what happened! I was pointing out the flaw in this logic, and, as it so happens, the OP's theory is what led to the mistake being caused. Hmm...go figure.

It's also worth pointing out that when it comes to the practical advice, you said the same thing I did, more or less. So there! (:

That being said, honestly, I just don't see how people make such trivial, obvious mistakes with this stuff. I wonder do they just not take the forms seriously, or just whip through them as fast as they can, or what? For example - I JUST did this form over the weekend. I spent about 8 hours Friday night on it. Then I spent, literally, all day Saturday, from about 1030am until 1030pm on it. That's a total of about 20 hours start to finish, filling out the actual form, getting the evidence together (which, incidentially, was ALREADY collected and organized from previous filings), printing things out, making copies, getting it organized into the package, writing cover letters explaining everything, looking over everything with a fine tooth comb, over and over, having OTHERS look it over, etc. etc. etc. I'd be willing to be that people making simple mistakes on such forms are just not spending enough time on them. But that's just a guess.

Good luck to all!

Cheers!

AKDiver

You just came through rather harsh, people make mistakes even when they do things them selves or get experts to do them and proof read it after. I see no reason to belittle the person.

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

That being said, honestly, I just don't see how people make such trivial, obvious mistakes with this stuff. I wonder do they just not take the forms seriously, or just whip through them as fast as they can, or what?

My, maybe you are just perfect? ;)

I had 3 people checking the form, including an officer at my local office, and we ALL missed it. Like I said, it's a human mistake. I don't think anyone is whizzing through stuff and not taking it seriously.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Timeline
My, maybe you are just perfect?
Nope. I have many, many, many flaws.
I had 3 people checking the form, including an officer at my local office, and we ALL missed it.
Wow!! Sounds like you could use more effective checkers.

Cheers!

AKDiver

Timeline
My, maybe you are just perfect?
Nope. I have many, many, many flaws.
I had 3 people checking the form, including an officer at my local office, and we ALL missed it.
Wow!! Sounds like you could use more effective checkers.

Cheers!

AKDiver

I can make 1 guess what 1 flaw is!! Cheerio

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.