11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Hello All - this forum has been WONDERFUL in helping us navigate this visa process - Thank you all so far!!

My husband and I have had a HELL of a time getting through this visa process - everyone here said doing DCF through Germany was easy as pie but we seem to have had terrible luck. Things have been screwed up every step of the way - by the consulate/immigration offices. Ugh. :wacko:

But we finally made it! Husband arrived finally in the US a little over a week ago. But now we realized he might have the wrong visa! I hope that we are just mistaken here, though I'm not putting another screw-up past immigration.

We had been married 2 years by the time of his interview. He corrected the interviewer once when he mentioned the CR1 visa (2-years) and he said "oh yeah IR1" and then again confirmed later than he would be receiving the IR1.

Well he got his visa and we immediately booked his trip (thank god for frequent flyer miles) to the US (after having to change it 3 times due to aforementioned screw-ups). I'm looking at it now and it is a CR1!!! I can't believe this!!

Who should we contact about this? We had a miserable time with the Frankfurt Consulate before because you can only call 2-4pm (German time) Tues and Thurs and they rarely answered our emails. Should we contact them again anyway or contact someone in the US? Does this mean it is going to cost us another $1000+ plus all other expenses and rigamarole?

I'm really sick over this. I don't know if I can trust anyone's word at the Frankfurt Consulate at least after all we were put through.

Thanks everyone!

Edited by AstridColeslaw

Living in Berlin

Married January 2011 in Kopenhagen

Filed I-130 in person in Frankfurt on 23/10/2011

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Wait until you get the GC. The GC should be a 10 year card. If it's not you copy it (front and back) and then mail the ORIGINAL with an I-90 for a replacement due to USCIS error. Include your marriage cert stating that when he entered the US you had been married more than 2 years and they should replace it with a 10 year card. Not a huge drama.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

A CR1 is the right visa. Don't freak out. What type of visa did you think it should be? CR1 is for married immigrants applying to join family. Upon entry he is eligible for greencard.

IR-1 is for marriages over than 2 years. Either way it's not a big deal 'cause it should be a 10 year GC. If it's not it's easy fixed

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

Hello All - this forum has been WONDERFUL in helping us navigate this visa process - Thank you all so far!!

My husband and I have had a HELL of a time getting through this visa process - everyone here said doing DCF through Germany was easy as pie but we seem to have had terrible luck. Things have been screwed up every step of the way - by the consulate/immigration offices. Ugh. :wacko:

But we finally made it! Husband arrived finally in the US a little over a week ago. But now we realized he might have the wrong visa! I hope that we are just mistaken here, though I'm not putting another screw-up past immigration.

We had been married 2 years by the time of his interview. He corrected the interviewer once when he mentioned the CR1 visa (2-years) and he said "oh yeah IR1" and then again confirmed later than he would be receiving the IR1.

Well he got his visa and we immediately booked his trip (thank god for frequent flyer miles) to the US (after having to change it 3 times due to aforementioned screw-ups). I'm looking at it now and it is a CR1!!! I can't believe this!!

Who should we contact about this? We had a miserable time with the Frankfurt Consulate before because you can only call 2-4pm (German time) Tues and Thurs and they rarely answered our emails. Should we contact them again anyway or contact someone in the US? Does this mean it is going to cost us another $1000+ plus all other expenses and rigamarole?

I'm really sick over this. I don't know if I can trust anyone's word at the Frankfurt Consulate at least after all we were put through.

Thanks everyone!

It is my understanding that the POE is where the final decision is made as to whether it will be an IR-1 or CR-1 visa. I've read of other members who are close to their 2-year anniversary once they complete the process and they chose to wait to enter the US until the 2-year anniversary has passed so they can obtain an IR-1 visa. They made sure to point out to the officer during POE that they had been married 2-years or more at the time of entry and should be issued an IR-1 visa.

06/10/11 - Married

USCIS: (224 days)

07/22/11 - Mailed I-130 petitions for wife and step-daughter

07/28/11 - NOA1 for both

02/21/12 - RFE for both (received hardcopy on 2/25)

02/28/12 - Responded to RFE for both(received by CSC on 2/29)

03/02/12 - NOA2 for both(received hardcopy on 3/8)

NVC: (37 days)

03/12/12 - NVC Received both

03/21/12 - NVC case number and IIN received for both & Emailed Choice of Agent for both

03/23/12 - AOS bill invoiced & paid for both

03/26/12 - AOS bill shows paid & AOS Packets mailed for both

03/27/12 - Choice of Agent accepted for wife (sent another for step-daughter via email and express mail)

03/28/12 - Choice of Agent accepted for step-daughter & IV bill invoiced & paid for wife

03/29/12 - IV bill shows paid for wife & IV bill invoiced & paid for step-daughter

03/30/12 - IV bill shows paid for step-daughter & IV Packets mailed for both

04/04/12 - IV Packets reviewed. Checklist issued for Divorce Decree for my wife. Step-daughter's was accepted and her case closed

04/10/12 - Divorce Decree accepted after supervisor review & wife's case closed

04/16/12 - Expedite requested for both cases due to NVC error

04/18/12 - Expedite request approved for both cases and sent to Santiago Embassy

Embassy: (15 days)

04/24/12 - Embassy received both cases from NVC

04/25/12 - Wife went to Embassy for document review. Interview date assigned for both cases.

04/26/12 - Medical Exam for both. Result - approved.

05/07/12 - Interview date for both. Result - approved!

05/09/12 - Received both Visas

05/16/12 - POE Atlanta

Filed: Timeline

A CR1 is the right visa. Don't freak out. What type of visa did you think it should be? CR1 is for married immigrants applying to join family. Upon entry he is eligible for greencard.

This isn't accurate. CR1 is for married spouses who have been married less than two years, IR1 is for those married more than two years. IF you have been married more than two years when you enter, then you have entered on an IR1 and you are eligible for a 10 year green card. Otherwise, CR-1 gets you a 2 year conditional green card.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

sorry, wrong answer (CR-1)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Astrid - did your husband go over this with a CBP officer at the POE, or no?

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

sorry, wrong answer (CR-1)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Astrid - did your husband go over this with a CBP officer at the POE, or no?

Thanks everyone for the reassurance.

I called USCIS here in the US and talked to someone who was super nice, helpful, knowledgeable, and actually confirmed that the Frankfurt office had made the mistake. It was refreshing to hear since all communication with Frankfurt left me sour and they always acted like they were doing us a favor when they were really correcting something they messed up on. (One rare email correspondence from them actually said "favor"!!) Husband and I have a friendly debate going over whose incompetence is to blame - the US govt or the Germans working for them in that office.

Like some of you mentioned, she said that he could have brought it up at the POE but a) It was actually already printed in his visa that it was a CR1 and b) we were terrified that he wouldn't be let in or it would be another several months waiting to get in the US because of it.

She also, like some of you, said to wait for the greencard in the mail to see if it is also incorrect and then make an appt. with an office/submit that correction form. It would kind of be a big ordeal to go there in person as the closet office in any direction is 4-5 hours away, but as long as this gets resolved, I'll do it! Poor guy is just sitting around waiting (he's so anxious to start working and getting his driver's license) for that letter and SS number!

Thanks again and I'll keep this thread updated in case anyone has a similar problem in the future!

Living in Berlin

Married January 2011 in Kopenhagen

Filed I-130 in person in Frankfurt on 23/10/2011

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

he can apply in person at yer local SSA office, for the SSN.

Then next day, come back and get the number, if'n no USCIS verification issues with the SAVE database that the SSA uses .

He has a stamp in his passport, with that stamp his cr-1 visa stamp is 'turned into' a temp I-551 document, a green card good for 1 year.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Timeline

Thanks everyone for the reassurance.

I called USCIS here in the US and talked to someone who was super nice, helpful, knowledgeable, and actually confirmed that the Frankfurt office had made the mistake. It was refreshing to hear since all communication with Frankfurt left me sour and they always acted like they were doing us a favor when they were really correcting something they messed up on. (One rare email correspondence from them actually said "favor"!!) Husband and I have a friendly debate going over whose incompetence is to blame - the US govt or the Germans working for them in that office.

Like some of you mentioned, she said that he could have brought it up at the POE but a) It was actually already printed in his visa that it was a CR1 and b) we were terrified that he wouldn't be let in or it would be another several months waiting to get in the US because of it.

She also, like some of you, said to wait for the greencard in the mail to see if it is also incorrect and then make an appt. with an office/submit that correction form. It would kind of be a big ordeal to go there in person as the closet office in any direction is 4-5 hours away, but as long as this gets resolved, I'll do it! Poor guy is just sitting around waiting (he's so anxious to start working and getting his driver's license) for that letter and SS number!

Thanks again and I'll keep this thread updated in case anyone has a similar problem in the future!

In the event that the green card is incorrect, I bet you don't actually have to go to a USCIS office. You should be able to call them to figure out what to do, and perhaps submit I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. You won't have to pay for it, since it was their mistake. You'll have to return the original Green Card (keep a copy), and if they need documentation you could simply show them your marriage certificate and the stamp on your visa showing when you entered (so they know it was two years after your marriage).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.