kiwicat83

I am changing my name....questions

8 posts in this topic

Hi people,

I've submitted my I-485, and the interview is scheduled for Nov. 9, 2006

When I submitted the paper, all names were under my maiden name. Nothing changed.

However, I want to change my name to my husband's last name when I receive my GC. I also want to change my first name to what I go by, which is Mandie.

Here is an example to help you better understand.

My name now: Mei-Li, Wang

Husband Name: Jack Smith

I want to change my name to: Mandie Mei-Li Smith

What kinda document should I present? Does anyone have similar experiences? Any Advises??

Thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Oops, nevermind... I misread your post.

Edited by phong_mai

05/18/06 - Married

I-130 for CR-1

6/03/06 - Submitted I-130 petition

6/08/06 - NOA1 generated

7/18/06 - Transferred to CSC

7/25/06 - Petition arrived at CSC

7/26, 7/27, 7/28 - Touched

8/03/06 - Approved!!! (56 days)

8/04, 08/06 - Touched

8/17/06 - Petition arrives at NVC, Case number assigned

8/28/06 - NVC: DS-3032 & AOS Fee Bill generated

8/29/06 - Emailed DS-3032 Choice of Agent

9/05/06 - DS-3032 Choice of Agent accepted; Received and returned AOS Fee Bill

9/11/06 - IV Fee Bill generated

9/16/06 - IV Fee Bill received and returned

9/20/06 - IV Fee Bill entered into NVC system

9/23/06 - Received and returned AOS (I-864EZ)

9/25/06 - DS-230 packet generated

9/28/06 - I-864EZ entered into NVC system

10/06/06 - Received and returned DS-230 Part I

11/08/06 - Case complete @ NVC

11/14/06 - Case transferred to consulate in HCMC

03/07/07 - Interview! PASSED!!!

03/9/07 - Visa received :)

03/20/07 - Mai arrives in U.S.

I-129F for K-3

6/15/06 - Submitted I-129F petition

6/16/06 - Petition arrived at Chicago CIS Office

6/21/06 - NOA1 generated

6/24/06 - Received NOA1

6/26, 06/28, 06/30 - Touched

7/08/06 - Received and returned IMBRA RFE

7/18/06 - Received and returned 2nd IMBRA RFE

8/28/06 - Approved!!! (68 days)

9/07/06 - Case forwarded to embassy

9/11/06 - Case arrives at embassy

K-3 abandoned in favor of CR-1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

well the first step is that you have to get your SS card to reflect your legal name change. If your legal name isn't Mandie...I don't think they'll change it. Last name, you'll need your marriage certificate - maybe you can change your first but I'm not sure.

I'd start with changing your SS card and going from there :)

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Hi people,

I've submitted my I-485, and the interview is scheduled for Nov. 9, 2006

When I submitted the paper, all names were under my maiden name. Nothing changed.

However, I want to change my name to my husband's last name when I receive my GC. I also want to change my first name to what I go by, which is Mandie.

Here is an example to help you better understand.

My name now: Mei-Li, Wang

Husband Name: Jack Smith

I want to change my name to: Mandie Mei-Li Smith

What kinda document should I present? Does anyone have similar experiences? Any Advises??

Thanks!

Getting married and having your name changed on the marriage certificate is one of the few times you can change your legal name for free. I assume that the name you have on your marriage certificate is not the name you want. Then there are four ways now for you to change your name to the one you want:

-Get a court order changing your name. In California, this requires a petition to the superior court, then publication, and a hearing.

-Get divorce/anulment and have your name change at the time of judgment.

-Become a US citizen and change your name at the time of naturalization

-Have yourself adopted by another person. Believe it or not, adults can be adopted. And during the adoption process you can have your name change for free.

Filed: Timeline
well the first step is that you have to get your SS card to reflect your legal name change. If your legal name isn't Mandie...I don't think they'll change it. Last name, you'll need your marriage certificate - maybe you can change your first but I'm not sure.

Only the marriage document (foreign or domestic) is needed if it meets the following criteria:

-- The new name can be derived from the marriage document, i.e. bride takes the groom's last name, groom takes bride's last name, compound name (with or without hyphen) of each spouse's original name for either or both parties.

-- The marriage occurred within the past two years

-- The marriage document shows sufficient identifying information (e.g., biographical data such as age, date of birth or parent's names), and

-- The identifying information matches the information on his/her current Social Security number record.

The applicant will need to submit an identity document in the old name along with the marriage document if:

-- The marriage occurred within the last two years and has biographical information, e.g., age, date of birth or parent's names which does not match our records, e.g., the SSN record.

-- The marriage occurred within the last two years, but does not show biographical information, or

-- The marriage occurred over two years ago (with or without biographical information.

The identity document used to establish the old name must match the name on the current SSN record. The identity document is acceptable even if over two years old or expired.

When issuing immigration documents, the Department of State and Department of Homeland Security issue them in the person’s legal name. The legal name is also generally the name in which the foreign passport was issued.

When an alien applies for an SSN card, SSA presumes the name on the immigration document is the legal name unless the applicant presents evidence of a legal name change (e.g., marriage) that occurred after the immigration document was issued.

This is in addition to proof of current lawful employment authorized status.

You can find detailed information regarding changing SSN record (Numident) data on the SSA Website at:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203210

To change your first name on your SSN record you will need a court order or do it when you apply for U.S. citizenship and then use the naturalization certificate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Only the marriage document (foreign or domestic) is needed if it meets the following criteria:

-- The new name can be derived from the marriage document, i.e. bride takes the groom's last name, groom takes bride's last name, compound name (with or without hyphen) of each spouse's original name for either or both parties.

-- The marriage occurred within the past two years

-- The marriage document shows sufficient identifying information (e.g., biographical data such as age, date of birth or parent's names), and

-- The identifying information matches the information on his/her current Social Security number record.

The applicant will need to submit an identity document in the old name along with the marriage document if:

-- The marriage occurred within the last two years and has biographical information, e.g., age, date of birth or parent's names which does not match our records, e.g., the SSN record.

-- The marriage occurred within the last two years, but does not show biographical information, or

-- The marriage occurred over two years ago (with or without biographical information.

The identity document used to establish the old name must match the name on the current SSN record. The identity document is acceptable even if over two years old or expired.

When issuing immigration documents, the Department of State and Department of Homeland Security issue them in the person’s legal name. The legal name is also generally the name in which the foreign passport was issued.

When an alien applies for an SSN card, SSA presumes the name on the immigration document is the legal name unless the applicant presents evidence of a legal name change (e.g., marriage) that occurred after the immigration document was issued.

This is in addition to proof of current lawful employment authorized status.

You can find detailed information regarding changing SSN record (Numident) data on the SSA Website at:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203210

To change your first name on your SSN record you will need a court order or do it when you apply for U.S. citizenship and then use the naturalization certificate.

hey can the groom take the brides last name too??? just wondering

Filed: Timeline
hey can the groom take the brides last name too??? just wondering

With SSA's it's allowed if he changing it to some form of the wife's name or his that can be derived from the marriage certificate, the marriage certificate shows his age or date of birth and state law allows it.

http://tinyurl.com/f7s8l

EM-06064 Effective Date: 10/02/2006

2. Evidence of New Name

Accept a document listed in A.1. as evidence of the new name if the new name can be derived from the document. RM 00203.210B.1 shows examples of how to derive a new name from the marriage document. This EM makes the existing ”Interim Guidance” in RM 0203.210B.1.a. to RM 0203.210B.1.c. permanent and is applicable to these name change requests:

-- bride takes the groom’s last name;

-- groom takes bride’s last name;

-- spouse takes the other spouse’s last name (e.g., same-sex couples); or

-- compound name (with or without hyphen) of each spouse’s original name for either or both parties.

If the new name cannot be derived, e.g., entirely new surname not shown on document, other evidence of legal name change must be submitted.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203210

RM 00203.210 Changing Numident Name Data

D. Examples of Legal Name Changes

5. Change of Name Because of Marriage

Lynn Perkins-Walker applies for a replacement SSN card because he is changing his name. He submits a marriage certificate showing his old name of Lynn Perkins, his date of birth, and his wife's name (Lesley Walker). Lynn and Lesley are both changing their last names to “Perkins-Walker.”

The marriage certificate is acceptable evidence for a legal name change because in the State where Lynn and Lesley married, marriage is an event when the wife may change her name to the husband's last name, the husband may change his name to the wife's last name, or they both may change to a new name.

Because marriage is a legal name change event and the new name (Perkins-Walker) can be determined from the marriage document (the marriage of Lynn Perkins and Lesley Walker) and the State where the marriage occurred permits one or both partners in the marriage to take a hyphenated surname that is formed from the pre-marriage surnames of both, SSA can process the legal name change request.

SSA can process the legal name change request because, in addition to their names, the marriage document shows Lesley’s and Lynn’s dates of birth.

Some States only permit the wife to take the husband's surname. If this were the case in this situation, Lesley could change her name to Lesley Perkins and the marriage document, if it meets the criteria of an identity document, can be used to support the legal name change. However, Lynn could not change his name without an additional legal name change document.

Some States permit either partner to take as a new surname the surname of the other marriage partner. In that situation, Lesley could change her name to Lesley Perkins or Lynn could change his name to Lynn Walker and the marriage document, if it meets the criteria of an identity document, can be used to support either legal name change.

Some States permit one or both marriage partners to take a new surname that is formed by hyphenating both pre-marriage surnames. In that situation, Lesley could legally change her name to Lesley Walker-Perkins (or Lesley Perkins-Walker) and/or Lynn could legally change his name to Lynn Walker-Perkins (or Lynn Perkins-Walker) and the marriage document, if it meets the criteria of an identity document, can be used to support either name change.

Some States permit the newly married couple to take an entirely new surname. In that situation, if Lesley and Lynn take a new last name of choice, for example they change their names to Lesley Smith and Lynn Smith, the marriage document, even when it meets the criteria of an identity document, cannot be used to support the legal name change because it does not show the newly chosen surname of Smith. Both Lynn and Lesley need to submit another identity document supporting the legal name change to Lynn Smith and Leslie Smith. However, the marriage document is the only legal name change document required.

Note Fom Me: Why the hell they used the name of Lynn for the man beats the hell out of me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.