Keith&Helen

what name would the green card be under

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I filed my application using my married name, but NVC has recently changed it to my maiden name since I submitted a copy of my passport which is under my maiden name. I was told that they go by the name on my passport.

I've read so many discussions regarding different names appearing on IDs. I could go get a new passport issued in my married name, but I still have 2 years left on my current one and would like to continue using it until it expires. Would that be a problem? How do I get them to issue me the GC in my married name? what are the procedures? do I just show my marriage certificate at the interview?

When I get the notice for medical exam and interview, would it be addressed to my maiden name or my married name?

I appreciate any help and suggestions you could provide.

Thanks,

Helen

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

If the NVC changed your file to your maiden name, then your should receive your interview letter in your maiden name as well.

I was told that the visa, and later the GC are issued in the name written in the passport: it makes sense, the visa is attached to the passport so they should be in the same name.

The process to change the name on the GC is pretty costly, I can't recall right now but from what I read it isn't small money.

I have both names on my passport, maiden/married, not that I wanted to keep the maiden name but that's how it works in France, you can never remove it. At the interview, they asked me which name I wanted to use for my GC, I said married name, and my visa came with my married name only. However I supposed they could do it because my married name was one of the names on my passport.

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
EMBASSY STAGE
03/27/12: interview - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
12/19/14: received reminder letter from USCIS to file for ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

Yes, the green card name has to match the passport and so they will use whatever is on your passport.

USCIS advised me to get a new passport in my married name if I wanted my green card to have my married name on it, and so I did.

Consulate: South Africa
Married: 2011-06-25
I-130 Sent: 2011-07-22
I-130 NOA1: 2011-07-25
I-130 Approved: 2011-07-27
Receive I-864 Package: 2011-11-10
Return Completed I-864: 2011-11-14
Packet 3 Received: 2011-11-10
Packet 3 Sent: 2011-11-10
Packet 4 Received: 2011-11-15
Interview Date: 2011-11-30
Interview Result: Approved
Visa Received: 2011-12-06
US Entry: 2012-01-11
Port of Entry: San Francisco

ROC I-751 Filed: 2013-12-19

NOA1: 2013-12-23

Biometrics: 2014-01-16

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Why did you field i-130 with your married name? They won't put a visa with your married name in a passport with your maiden name.

You should change all your names then request USCIS and NVC to change or keep maiden name until you get to the U.S and change the make here.

=====================

CR-1 Process

=====================

06/10/2011 - I-130 package sent USPS priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/14/2011 - NOA1

10/21/2011 - I-130 approved (NOA2)

11/19/2011 - NVC recevied case

11/21/2011 - Called NVC for AOS bill and DS-3032

11/21/2011 - Paid AOS Bill

11/21/2011 - EP request and DS-3032 to NVC

11/23/2011 - EP came and DS-3032 accepted

11/23/2011 - Submit I-864

11/28/2011 - Paid IV Bill

11/29/2011 - Submit DS-230

12/05/2011 - Case completed

12/08/2011 - Interview date set

12/11/2011 - Medical exam

01/11/2011 - Document intake day

01/12/2012 - Interview - Approved

03/09/2012 - POE - LAX

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Get at new passport in the name you intend to use. Then while waiting for your interview appointment, send a new DS230 and passport copy to NVC, so the interview can be scheduled in your married name. This is no time to try to save a few bucks on passport renewal fees. It will cost far more to change the name on the green card after arrival.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Thanks all! I just applied for a new passport this morning, will get it early next week then I'm all set!

Thanks again! you guys are the best!

Helen

You will be all set to take the next step of sending a new DS230 and passport copy to NVC.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.