patrick & relyn

we consider ourselves married in our heart

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

something has concerned me for a while and its probably nothing to worry about so i would like opinions and experiences of others on this.....

relyn and i consider ourselves married although we are not. we are waiting now for 8 months for her annulment. we pray everyday it will be as we expect in december and then we will be able to begin the k-1 process........

we wear wedding rings and in almost all of our correspondence she is my wife in surname as well. this is including snail mail cards. i feel good about it and have absolutely no regrets and if we have a hassle because of it i wont regret it for a minute

i think they will check of course for any evidence of a marriage between us since we will file k-1. can they deny or barrage us with "rfe" 's because they have a "feeling". or are approvals based on fact?

thank you in advance for any of the visa journey family who answer.

patrick & relyn

4 september 2005.....relyn and patrick chat on filipina heart for first time

19 december 2005....patrick flies to meet relyn and m'r (son) for first time

24 decemeber 2005.....we are ENGAGED!

25 december 2005....we fly to boracay. patrick and relyn exchange wedding rings on plane....lol but true

3 january 2006....we meet with attorney to discuss annulment of relyn marriage.

(husband absent for 6 years)

20 august 2006.......patrick returns to philippines

21 august 2006......patrick birthday

28 august 2006......we travel to baguio city till september 5

4 september2006....we celebrate in bagiou our 1st year anniversary of knowing each other.

10 september2006.....patrick back in u.s

19 april 2007....back together for another trip

21 april 2007....we travel to province relyn and family are from for a chance for me to meet extended

family. we are there for more than a week.

7 may 2007....return to the u.s.a.

JULY 2007.....annulment sent to judge desk awaiting decision

OCTOBER 2007.........JUDGE GRANTS ANNULMENT......YIPPEE GETTING CLOSE TO FILING I129F

31 december 2007 I29f sent via US postal priority mail

4 January 2008 NOA1

6 MAY 2008 NOA2 (GUESS THE TOUCH WAS A REALLY GOOD TOUCH)

10 MAY 2008 RECEIVE HARD COPY I-797 NOA2 IN SNAIL MAIL

22-23 may 2008-early medical(passed)

22-27 may 2008-son's medical....very long bcoz of tuberculin test

20 june 2008-my patrick visit me again for 4time

23 june 2008-interview u.s.embassy

27 june 2008-got my visa yipeee so quick!

2 july 2008- fly in tacoma wa, with my patrick and son

Yes, they can. If they even get a HINT of the fact that you are married, you will regret it.

Many of us feel the same way, but you need to understand that you are dealing with the reality of the US government here.

I suggest you go back to being boyfriend/girlfriend, fiance/fiancee, and refer to each other as such, until you are together in the US.

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

at the interview i'd have her say your her fiance and call the ring an engagement ring. no sense in taking a chance of AR which would delay your being together.

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

at the interview i'd have her say your her fiance and call the ring an engagement ring. no sense in taking a chance of AR which would delay your being together.

Definitely. And DO NOT under, any circumstances, send pictures that could be considered to be wedding pictures.....

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: Other Timeline

I'm asking this because I'm ignorant of the cultural norms in the Philipines, so please, don't get defensive. I'm asking for my education.

Is it normal in the philipines for still married couples awaiting annulment to be romantically involved with new partners? It just doesn't sound right to me that your still married SO is using your surname and wearing a symbolic wedding ring you gave her when she's still married to another person. But is this how it's done in the Philipines?

something has concerned me for a while and its probably nothing to worry about so i would like opinions and experiences of others on this.....

relyn and i consider ourselves married although we are not. we are waiting now for 8 months for her annulment. we pray everyday it will be as we expect in december and then we will be able to begin the k-1 process........

we wear wedding rings and in almost all of our correspondence she is my wife in surname as well. this is including snail mail cards. i feel good about it and have absolutely no regrets and if we have a hassle because of it i wont regret it for a minute

i think they will check of course for any evidence of a marriage between us since we will file k-1. can they deny or barrage us with "rfe" 's because they have a "feeling". or are approvals based on fact?

patrick & relyn

AOS I-485

07/10/07 - Sent I-485 via USPS Priority Mail to Chicago Lockbox

07/23/07 - Received NOA1 in my home mailbox

08/13/07 - Received ASC Biometrics Appointment Letter in my home mailbox

08/31/07 - USCIS mailed out Appointment letter with Postmark Date 8/31/07

09/04/07 - Received actual Appointment Letter (Interivew Date 10/30/07)

09/06/07 - Completed Biometrics Appointment at local ASC

10/30/07 - Scheduled AOS Interview Appointment - Approved

I-751

08/13/09 - Sent I-751 to CSC

08/17/09 - Receipt date of NOA

09/16/09 - Biometrics

09/17/09 - "Touched"

12/15/09 - Card production ordered

12/17/09 - Approval notice sent

12/21/09 - Received 10-Year GC and Welcome Letter

N-400

08/16/10 - Sent N-400 to AZ Lockbox via USPS First Class Mail with Delivery Confirmation

08/18/10 - USPS Confirms delivery: August 18, 2010, 9:57 am, PHOENIX, AZ 85036

08/24/10 - Check #501 for $675 cleared my account @ 11:20 pm EDT

08/27/10 - Received NOA dated 8/23/10 with a Priority date of 8/18/10

09/07/10 - Received Biometric RFE dated 9/3/10 -- Fingerprint apt. schedule 10/1/10

10/01/10 - Fingerprint Appointment-- Completed

10/09/10 - Received Interview Appointment Letter dated 10/6/10 for scheduled interview on 11/09/10

11/09/10 - Interview Passed

11/18/10 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

i was just chatting with relyn in philippines on her lunch break about what i asked on vj. she is shocked that we could be denied if they breath air that suggests we got married and filed k-1. i know we will have to use care when we get to file for our visa.

wouldnt her annulment freshly approved in say december be any proof we are not manilipulating the system.

why would we get the annulment if we were going to try to lie.

i appreciate the comments and advice.......we will definetly not take any chances

thank you jenT and roymcn3rd

25 december 2005....we fly to boracay. patrick and relyn exchange wedding rings on plane....lol but true

4 september2006....we celebrate in bagiou our 1st year anniversary of knowing each other.

21 april 2007....we travel to province relyn and family are from for a chance for me to meet extended

OCTOBER 2007.........JUDGE GRANTS ANNULMENT......YIPPEE GETTING CLOSE TO FILING I129F

4 January 2008 NOA1

Timeline
I'm asking this because I'm ignorant of the cultural norms in the Philipines, so please, don't get defensive. I'm asking for my education.

Is it normal in the philipines for still married couples awaiting annulment to be romantically involved with new partners? It just doesn't sound right to me that your still married SO is using your surname and wearing a symbolic wedding ring you gave her when she's still married to another person. But is this how it's done in the Philipines?

patrick & relyn

i wont get defensive at all......relyn has not seen or heard from him in almost 7 years. even though there is a son involved as well. he has never seen his son in that time. so as far as her being married to him its just not something she considers herself to be anymore. i am right there with her on the annulment. while catholic church (philippines predominent religion) does consider them strictly married relyn on the other hand has a desire for more than an invisible marriage. we have chatted non stop, talked on phone and i have made two trips to be with her in a years time. it will be two years since we met before we can even realistically get married.

youre welcome to comment further. i do appreciate youre questions. for relyn and i it just feels right for us and her family, son and i are very close

4 January 2008 NOA1

Filed: Other Timeline
i wont get defensive at all......relyn has not seen or heard from him in almost 7 years. even though there is a son involved as well. he has never seen his son in that time. so as far as her being married to him its just not something she considers herself to be anymore. i am right there with her on the annulment. while catholic church (philippines predominent religion) does consider them strictly married relyn on the other hand has a desire for more than an invisible marriage. we have chatted non stop, talked on phone and i have made two trips to be with her in a years time. it will be two years since we met before we can even realistically get married.

youre welcome to comment further. i do appreciate youre questions. for relyn and i it just feels right for us and her family, son and i are very close

Ok, given the 7 year absence, I can more fully appreciate your story.

Best of luck on your petition. And I also agree with the suggestions given so far: do NOT give USCIS or the US Consulate in Manila any impression that you two are already legally married. That would only cause complications for you.

I'm sure you can appreciate the reasons as well. There are different applications/petitions for a fiancee and a wife to enter the US. If you are married already, then you need to apply via a different method than the K1 visa. That is why USCIS and the Consulates will critically scrutinize to make sure you're in fact NOT married when applying via the K1 option.

Again, best of luck. Ask all your questions before applying. This forum is a wealth of knowledge.

AOS I-485

07/10/07 - Sent I-485 via USPS Priority Mail to Chicago Lockbox

07/23/07 - Received NOA1 in my home mailbox

08/13/07 - Received ASC Biometrics Appointment Letter in my home mailbox

08/31/07 - USCIS mailed out Appointment letter with Postmark Date 8/31/07

09/04/07 - Received actual Appointment Letter (Interivew Date 10/30/07)

09/06/07 - Completed Biometrics Appointment at local ASC

10/30/07 - Scheduled AOS Interview Appointment - Approved

I-751

08/13/09 - Sent I-751 to CSC

08/17/09 - Receipt date of NOA

09/16/09 - Biometrics

09/17/09 - "Touched"

12/15/09 - Card production ordered

12/17/09 - Approval notice sent

12/21/09 - Received 10-Year GC and Welcome Letter

N-400

08/16/10 - Sent N-400 to AZ Lockbox via USPS First Class Mail with Delivery Confirmation

08/18/10 - USPS Confirms delivery: August 18, 2010, 9:57 am, PHOENIX, AZ 85036

08/24/10 - Check #501 for $675 cleared my account @ 11:20 pm EDT

08/27/10 - Received NOA dated 8/23/10 with a Priority date of 8/18/10

09/07/10 - Received Biometric RFE dated 9/3/10 -- Fingerprint apt. schedule 10/1/10

10/01/10 - Fingerprint Appointment-- Completed

10/09/10 - Received Interview Appointment Letter dated 10/6/10 for scheduled interview on 11/09/10

11/09/10 - Interview Passed

11/18/10 - Oath Ceremony

patrick & relyn

Patrick, The NBI background clearance and the Annullment from the Census and FSO will be evidence enough tha tyou ar eno tlegally married not matter how you consider yourslef or what nick names you call each ohter in correspondence. The using of your family name to send correspondence to her while strange and probably illegal in the U.S., may cause an RFE unless you explain that in your proof of relationship letter.

For the question of people in the Philippines that are legally married getting involved with someone else, yes it is very common because there is no divorce int he Philippines, just he annullment process through the church which is very expensive (bribes) and lengthy. Filipino couples split all the time and most of the time it is the guy that ups and leaves, not to be heard of again. My fiancee's parents have been separated for 15+ years and both have live-in partners they both consider their spouse. I guess neither have the money to get the annullment.

Patrick, It might be a good idea to stop using ur surname for ur fiancee', however if the proof of relationship items you are going to provide for the K1 is going to include items with your fiancee' using ur surname, it might be a good idea to continue.... it is a hard call to make for us forum readers. Good luck, Payato

"Better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you are not!"

Timeline:

22 Jul 06 - Received NOA-1

18 Sep 06 - Received NOA2 in mail

11 Oct 06 - Case MNL783xxx received by Manila Embassy... guess NVC lied

26 Dec 06 - Received Packet 4

18-19 Jan 07 - Medical complete early, scheduled 8 Feb

19 Jan - CFO completed after SLE shots... have to go back for the stamp after visa approval

15 Feb 07 - Interview Approved

24 Feb 07 - Arrive at Honolulu POE

2 Apr 07 - Married, civil ceremony, mailed AOS

17 Apr 07 - Checks cashed for AOS & AP

22 Apr 07 - Filed Expedite for AP

8 May 07 - Biometrics Appt

8 May 07 - Filed complaint with local USCIS for no action on Expedite request

9 May 07 - AP Expedite approved via email

14 May 07 - received AP I-512L documents in the mail

25 Jun 07 - AOS Interview scheduled but cancelled due to deployment and family emergency

29 Nov 07 - Visited local USCIS to reschedule AOS interview

15 Jan 08 - Local USCIS finally forwards reschedule request after formal complaint

8 Feb 08 - Received new Interview date

28 Mar 08 - AOS Interview ..investigation reopened due to incorrect birthdate that was identified 05/07

16 Apr 08 - CRIS Notice of GC approval and welcome notice via email

25 Apr 08 - GC received finally!

15 Jan 10 - Mailed Lifting of Conditions Package

19 Jan 10 - Package received at VT USCIS

22 Jan 10 - Checked cashed by USCIS

26 Jan 10 - Received NOA dated 20 Jan 10

29 Jan 10 - Received NOA for Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.