MyJourney1

Infrequent Visits - Frown Upon?

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The consulate knows that sites like VJ exist and that people use the to prepare for the interview. They are also really good at detecting an applicant that has been prepared like this for an interview and it is actually a red flag ( we aren't for real so lets pratice the answers we would use if we are for real ) The tip off is they know the answers right away to the standard questions and not so quick on the others. Be careful about over preparing.

And no over-prepare here either. It's just good to see the types of questions and how they may ask and than ask same question another way, like Where do your wife's parents live". The USC's parents were dead. It's just good to know. My husband I can't imagine a question they would say he don't know. But who knows, they may know stuff I don't know.

And yes MyJourmey1 you are so right how we have to prove so hard our love. Because honestly me and my husband had know idea we had to go through all this. We thought fill out a application and in a few weeks he would e here. And evidence for real. Gosh

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

No, I'm not going to over-prepare and I understand what you're saying. My fiance and I agreed to be ourselves and tell the truth not matter what; it'll eliminate too much nervousness and our conscious will stay clear. It's just that so many people defraud the system that it makes it more difficult for sincere ones to get VISAs. It's truly a shame we live in a world today where we cannot be with the ones we love so much and want to spend the rest of our lives with without a fight; having to prove ourselves to a Government who is already corrupt in the first place. :(

Have you read the book "Culture of Corruption" by David Smith. I think you would find it educational.

Edited by NigeriaorBust

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

Have you read the book "Culture of Corruption" by David Smith. I think you would find it educational.

Thank you Reading a sample chapter online now.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Other Timeline

Hello Myjourney1! I am a Nigerian and I would suggest you try to take out time and make another trip to Nigeria. One visit and one week stay might be a mountain on your case at the US Consulate in Lagos. All the best.

We are planning for my 2nd trip now.... :dance:

The Nigeria threads of the Africa board will give you a lot more information. It is best to stick with that for any country-specific questions.

For most countries, your time together seems sufficient. From what I understand though, for Nigeria, it can be questionable. Go to the Africa board and commit yourself to reading maybe 10 or so threads every day (it is easy enough with the pages in date order from the last post) and see what situations you read about there. As you have seen in a response to one of your threads before, most questions you have have already been discussed and answered, probably with better details in various other threads instead of just this one that you are starting now.

It could be especially helpful to read about other interview experiences and the things asked or asked for. Considering the disproportionate number of Nigerians that I know and have known that live here, I would guess that you know some, too. See any that you can find IRL (in real life) and treat them to lunch to pick their brains about their interview and paperwork experiences. Take notes.

You are not the first person to do this. Learn from everyone who has marched this road before you. VJ along with other resources are goldmines for you and can save you a ton of stress and heartache if you can avoid many of their mistakes just by learning first.

Edited to add:

Oh yeah--take up a hobby while waiting through this--especially if it would be super annoying to a spouse since you are alone now. (I made a ring for my fiance. Bang-bang-bang-bang with a hammer for 6 months while watching TV shows on Netflix.) Or, get a second job. Being busy will keep you from focusing every minute on the delays and any extra money is a godsend when you have a spouse.

Good luck.

Will do! Thanks! :)

Yea I'd definitely recommend going again. Lagos is a tough consulate to get through, and from other posters here on VJ I get the feeling they always immediately think fraud and it's your job to prove them otherwise.

I know that one short visit is a major red flag at most consulates, especially so in Lagos.

From the CO's point of view, what he sees is a person from a third world country marrying an American, knowing it's one of the only ways to get into the US legally. The fact that he's marrying someone he has only met once for a short period of time will make most COs shake their heads no matter how legitimate your relationship is. I'd definitely plan on a second trip, and hopefully be in the Nigeria during his interview too. It's expensive, but helps your case a lot.

Remember, the most obvious fraud cases always involve an American travelling to a third world country solely for the purpose of getting married or to show they've met at least once. Few obvious fraudsters will go through the cost and hassle of visiting frequently.

We're planning my 2nd trip now! I'm so happy! :)

Amen so agree. One thing MyJourney1 I did last weekend was sat in-front of this computer all weekend and read all 198 Consulate reviews for Lagos. Copied all questions and put in a word doc. Now I am cleaning it up so I can send to my husband in Nigeria. Even questions that don't pertain to us I want my husband still to be prepared for trick questions. It's a fun thing to do a game me and my husband play with Q & A time. Most times his brain is fried (funny he knows now my 1st grade teachers name and first pet fluffy).

Preparation is very key so in this wait time just get interview questions together discuss and talk and learn and know alot more about one another.

I like your game; I'm going to study the Consulate reviews also. :)

although this can be a suggested idea wit the passport, do not bank on it has a get out of jail card.. ur guy needs to be ready to answer questions confidently and consistently.. if da CO starts askin for any additional evidence, or if CO asks wen was the last time u came, he can then show da passport and say u are waiting outside. do not under-estimate the consulate or think theres a easy way.. to be honest ive seen here on VJ, at least since ive been on, that majority of the intvws that went well did not hv the petitioner present in naija. i knw da support is gd and u can rejoice together, but i think this makes the beneficiary not prepare and focus well.. or do things last minute.. as naija's most of us hv this mindset wit things.. i once kid wit my fiancee that if i had bn around, there wasnt gonna be any luvy luvy play after da first day i arrive..lol.. funny, but i hp u get my point..

also, smetimes ur posts/question come out as if ur too nervous lukin ahead.. i hp ur guy is da steady one cuz one of u will need to be da driver, and i recommend its da US citizen

LOL!!! Okay....:)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.