warlord

Stereotypical Canada in TV

28 posts in this topic

:lol:

I remembered where Calgary was because of the '88 winter Olympics. My sister had such a crush on Brian Boitano. And Cheerios was putting Olympic coins in their boxes and I ate a TON of cheerios so I could get all the coins. I still have them :)

My grandfather used to drive a long haul truck. He took Jeeps to Manitoba and brought back Crown Royal from Gimli.

I was born in '88 :P

And haha, Gimli. I heart.gif Lord of the Rings

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I was born in '88 :P

And haha, Gimli. I heart.gif Lord of the Rings

oh lord.. I dated myself..

I was 11 :P

USCIS- 260 Days

6/8/11~ Mailed I-130 Application, withdrew Canadian PR application
6/16/11~ NOA1 email and text message Case routed to CSC (Priority Date)
7/12/11~ The 'Money Order' Incident/Returned to Tennessee
8/03/11~ TOUCHED!
3/2/12~ APPROVED! NOA2!

NVC Electronic Processing- Montreal- 19 Days

3/21/12~ Received case number & IIN 20 Days after NOA2
3/21/12~ Sent in opt-in email
3/22/12~ Opt-in accepted
3/23/12~ DS-261 Submitted, never accepted
3/29/12~ AOS bill invoiced and paid
3/30/12~ AOS shows PAID- AOS Package emailed/received, DS-3032 emailed/accepted
4/2/12~ IV bill invoiced and paid
4/3/12~ AOS Checklist documents emailed(first time)
4/4/12~ IV shows PAID- DS-260 submitted/ IV Package emailed/received
4/4/12~ AOS Checklist documents sent again for CYA (second time)
4/5/12~ IV package accepted! No Checklists!
4/6/12~ AOS Checklist emailed(third time)
4/9/12~ AOS packet accepted (finally)
CASE COMPLETE!!

Interview 354 days from NOA1/ 362 days from initial filing date
5/29/12~ Medical@ Medisys, Montreal
6/4/12~ Interview APPROVED!!!
08/07/2012~ POE Emerson, MB/Pembina, ND by land
08/09/2012~ HOME!! 424 days from initial filing date!
08/14/2012~ SSN Received
09/10/2012~ Received Green Card

oh lord.. I dated myself..

I was 11 :P

You're not that much older than myself :P

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Do you say you are going to Paris, France...... or Paris,Ile-de-France?.... France has regions like Canada has provinces... but most people don't know that if they aren't from there.. just sayin whistling.gif

(I'm the USC and I made sure I knew about provinces and territories of Canada because my love is from there....I had a reason to know)

Do you say you are going to Paris, France...... or Paris,Ile-de-France?.... France has regions like Canada has provinces... but most people don't know that if they aren't from there.. just sayin whistling.gif

(I'm the USC and I made sure I knew about provinces and territories of Canada because my love is from there....I had a reason to know)

You're right. For international destinations, it's probably easier to just say the city and country, instead of getting weird looks from people when you states/provinces/regions.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Someone asked me where in Canada I was from, I said Ontario and he said "is that near Toronto?" I guess when we use province names people just get confused...

Someone asked me where in Canada I was from, I said Ontario and he said "is that near Toronto?" I guess when we use province names people just get confused...

Wooooow wow.gif

And this is why I don't mention provinces much when telling Americans where I'm from headbonk.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Awhile ago I asked my then fiance to name the provinces and off the top his head he got all of them. Then I saw this topic today and asked him to name them again and he couldn't. He also named Calgary as a province :blink:

I certainly couldn't list all the states off the top of my head but I have never mixed up a state with a city and I know where all the states go on a map. o_O

Edited by pocheros

Awhile ago I asked my then fiance to name the provinces and off the top his head he got all of them. Then I saw this topic today and asked him to name them again and he couldn't. He also named Calgary as a province :blink:

I certainly couldn't list all the states off the top of my head but I have never mixed up a state with a city and I know where all the states go on a map. o_O

Yay for your husband at first, nay for your husband now laughing.gif

I could list all the states, but it'd take me longer, obviously, than just naming the 10 provinces.

When we were in 5th grade, we had to learn and perform this song that lists all the states:

My husband retorted with this:

My response: how is your video 45 seconds longer with 37 fewer things to talk about??

Oh, sorry...I didn't realize the videos would be awkwardly embedded like that.

Edited by alizon

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

When I met my husband I lived in West Virginia. He had to find it on a map. Later I moved to Tennessee and he asked "That's near Texas isn't it?" :no:

The best is when he asked what city the New England Patriots play in, I told him Foxboro.

"How close is that to Massachusetts?" (he was going there for training for his job)

"Huh? Wha? Foxboro is in Massachusetts"

"No, you just said it's in New England!"

..... "Trent, New England isn't a state, it's a region of the US with many states."

"Oh"

USCIS- 260 Days

6/8/11~ Mailed I-130 Application, withdrew Canadian PR application
6/16/11~ NOA1 email and text message Case routed to CSC (Priority Date)
7/12/11~ The 'Money Order' Incident/Returned to Tennessee
8/03/11~ TOUCHED!
3/2/12~ APPROVED! NOA2!

NVC Electronic Processing- Montreal- 19 Days

3/21/12~ Received case number & IIN 20 Days after NOA2
3/21/12~ Sent in opt-in email
3/22/12~ Opt-in accepted
3/23/12~ DS-261 Submitted, never accepted
3/29/12~ AOS bill invoiced and paid
3/30/12~ AOS shows PAID- AOS Package emailed/received, DS-3032 emailed/accepted
4/2/12~ IV bill invoiced and paid
4/3/12~ AOS Checklist documents emailed(first time)
4/4/12~ IV shows PAID- DS-260 submitted/ IV Package emailed/received
4/4/12~ AOS Checklist documents sent again for CYA (second time)
4/5/12~ IV package accepted! No Checklists!
4/6/12~ AOS Checklist emailed(third time)
4/9/12~ AOS packet accepted (finally)
CASE COMPLETE!!

Interview 354 days from NOA1/ 362 days from initial filing date
5/29/12~ Medical@ Medisys, Montreal
6/4/12~ Interview APPROVED!!!
08/07/2012~ POE Emerson, MB/Pembina, ND by land
08/09/2012~ HOME!! 424 days from initial filing date!
08/14/2012~ SSN Received
09/10/2012~ Received Green Card

When we were in 5th grade, we had to learn and perform this song that lists all the states:

My husband retorted with this:

My response: how is your video 45 seconds longer with 37 fewer things to talk about??

Oh, sorry...I didn't realize the videos would be awkwardly embedded like that.

Found this a long time ago on how to memorize the US states: http://kemoti.com/US_States_Mnemonics_1.htm

And I am now gonna have that Provinces of Canada song stuck in my head all night laughing.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I knew all the US states before knowing the provinces, but still. I think if people many many years ago would always just use the city, Province, (Country), than by now people would understand it. They catered to those that didn't (unlike the US who didn't quit and kept saying their state) and now it's just standard that it's forgotten.

Yes other places around the world are different, the fact that the US and Canada are next to each other, have shared in a ton of neighborly things and stuff, you'd think you could just say the city and province like normally. I do that when people asked where I live in Canada. Usually I don't actually get any confused looks, they just ask where exactly Guelph is in Ontario and that's it. So I can easily say kind of near Toronto...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.