whatdouwantfromme

possibly thinking about divorce..

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Hi All,

my husband has been here for 3 years now.. something is just not working in our marriage.. he has his set ways, and set old fashioned mentality and does not want to change.. anyway long story short.. he applied for removing conditions, went to do his finger prints again.. has not received his new green card ( is he even supposed to get a new one?)... so, in the even we do get a divorce, i do not want him in the US.. is there anyway that i can make sure he gets his behind back to the country he came from?.. i really dont want him getting his citizenship and staying here... is there anyway that i can prevent that by getting a divorce?

Hi All,

my husband has been here for 3 years now.. something is just not working in our marriage.. he has his set ways, and set old fashioned mentality and does not want to change.. anyway long story short.. he applied for removing conditions, went to do his finger prints again.. has not received his new green card ( is he even supposed to get a new one?)... so, in the even we do get a divorce, i do not want him in the US.. is there anyway that i can make sure he gets his behind back to the country he came from?.. i really dont want him getting his citizenship and staying here... is there anyway that i can prevent that by getting a divorce?

Sorry. Too late! He is getting permanent GC and in 2 years he can apply for citizenship. Unless if you have proof that he married you just for immigration purposes, witch is very hard to proof.

This is not legal advice it is just my personal opinion. For legal advice you will need to talk to immigration attorney!

I'm not attorney and this is not legal advice, this is just my personal opinion!

USCIS:

03/26/2008 Approved I-130
04/21/2011 Send I-360, I-765 and I-485 to Vermont Service Center
05/26/2011 Approved EAD
05/31/2011 Request for evidence for I-360
06/24/2011 Biometrics I-485
09/06/2011 Send responds for RFE of I-360
09/12/2011 Prima Facie approval for I-360
01/09/2012 Send E-mails to VSC asking what is going on with my case. (E-mail send to vsc.ncscfollowup@dhs.gov and to SCOPSSCATA@dhs.gov)
01/17/2012 Got responds from VSC email saying that they can't talk about my case over phone or e-mail.
02/26/2012 Approved extension of EAD
02/28/2012 Renewed Prima Facie (second one)
06/28/2012 Send letter to VSC to see what is going on with my case
08/28/2012 Renewed Prima Facie (third one)
09/18/2012 RFE
10/10/2012 Renewed Prima Facie (Fourth one)
10/31/2012 VSC received RFE respond
02/04/2013 Renewed Prima Facie (Sixte one)
04/17/2013 I-360 and I-485 got DENAID!

05/15/2013 Filed I-290B Notice of Appeal from denial of VAWA I-360 - APPEAL WAS DENIED

12/15/2014 Filed for second time I-360, I-485, I-765 and I-131

12/30/2014 RFE for Good Moral Character received

01/08/2015 FBI clairance and respond to RFE sent to VSC

02/12/2015 RFE I-131 asking if I was or I'm in removal proceedings

03/03/2015 Respond for I-131 RFE sent to VSC

04/02/2015 RFE for Bona Fide Marriage, proof of shared residents and request for more evidence regarding Abuse received

04/20/2015 I-765 and I-131 APPROVED.

06/25/2015 Respond to I-360 RFE sent to VSC

07/14/2015 I-360 application APPROVED!!!

ICE

04/29/2011 Went for appointment with ICE officer and got processed
06/01/2011 Turn my passport in and started to report to BI twice a month in BI office, ones a month via phone and once a month they come to my home
01/05/2012 Still don't have court date!
02/02/2012 Terminated removal proceedings.

Filed: Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Hi All,

Didn't you know how he was before you married him? You should have loved him the way he was, not hoping if you brought him here you could change him. If this is the only reason you want a divorce then maybe you should try to make it work. Don't give up so easily. I could understand if he was abusing you mentally or physically but what makes you dislike him so much to get him kicked out of the U.S.? Anyways, thats not my buisness. Best of luck to you.

What?!! You are sounding like you feel you own him and now want to return him to the store! He is a person with his own rights and needs. He is undoubtedly not perfect and I bet you aren't either! You made the decision to marry and if he entered into a good faith marriage with you and has shown that to the satisfaction of the officials at his ROC interview then it will be his decision where he lives. Divorce means severing a marital relationship. You cannot hold the power to 'send him home'! Maybe that attitude is playing a role in the threatened break-up of your marriage! Or maybe he is just a real jerk that took advantage of someone willing to believe whatever he needed to say to get here by marriage to you. Either way he is here now and it really shouldn't concern you that much where he goes once he is out of your life if you do divorce. A bit of advice, don't dwell on whatever anger or bitterness this has caused you. The only one hurt by that is yourself! Move on with your life and look on this as tuition paid for education!

Off my hat to you.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

sorry to hear about your luck, but man.. this never fails.. every time Americans want a divorce, they automatically want their ex-spouses out of the country.. it's disgusting to read stuff like that..

you loved him enough to bring him over here and now that you no longer want him, you are looking for a return policy..maybe you should have put a clause in your prenup about it or something.. no, really, this is ridiculous.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

my husband has been here for 3 years now.. something is just not working in our marriage.. he has his set ways, and set old fashioned mentality and does not want to change.. Okay so he's not a bad guy. You just aren't compatible anymore. That's not a crime. He probably feels the same about you.

anyway long story short.. he applied for removing conditions, went to do his finger prints again.. has not received his new green card ( is he even supposed to get a new one?)... Yes he will. Don't even THINK about keeping the card from him or doing anything with his mail. That is a federal crime.

so, in the even we do get a divorce, i do not want him in the US.. Why? What does it have to do with you once you're divorced?

is there anyway that i can make sure he gets his behind back to the country he came from?.. Nope. He's done nothing wrong.

i really dont want him getting his citizenship and staying here... That's nice. I don't want my grass to grow so quick 'cause mowing takes ages... oh wait, you mean i have no control over that?... neither do you.

is there anyway that i can prevent that by getting a divorce? No. He's done nothing wrong. His immigration status and eventual citizenship status are none of your business. It is incredibly mean and vindictive for you to try and use his status against him. In fact it's considered abuse.

Answers in red above.

It never ceases to amaze me how vindictive people can get. His immigration is not your concern. I'm sorry your relationship ended but that doesn't give you the right to dictate where he lives out the rest of his life.

**Edit - I should also mention him getting citizenship cancels the I-864 so it's good for you.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

OP has had her husband for more than 30 days and the warranty is up. Can't send him back.

Serious now: This is why people date, to decide their compatibility and if they accept and can live with their spouse's 'flaws'.

Its funny that you say he's set in his ways when I can bet you are just as hard headed a he. And his old fashion mentality I'm sure is something you were aware of before you were even married. Sorry to say you made your bed so now you're going to have to lie in it. Set aside your vindictive thoughts and either get marital counseling or divorce they guy and be done with him.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I completely agree with all the answers - being old-fashioned might be a reason for ending a relationship but not the authority to kick someone out of the country. It isn't a crime being old-fashioned. If that was the case, my dad would be kicked out of his own country.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I completely agree with all the answers - being old-fashioned might be a reason for ending a relationship but not the authority to kick someone out of the country. It isn't a crime being old-fashioned. If that was the case, my dad would be kicked out of his own country.

I think that's the way my sons might feel about me... :rofl:

I-129F Sent : 2010-01-16
Visa Approved!!: 2010-04-20
Visa Received: 2010-04-28
POE Chicago: 2010-05-01
Married: 2010-06-30
AOS filed: 2011-01-25
AOS Approved: 2011-03-25

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

This lady has long gone!

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.