jivany

I-864 DENIAL..Affidavit of Support

39 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Seems to me that above the poverty limit is above the limit. That part is covered. Focus on documentations that shows you have a stable job would be usefully.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Seems to me that above the poverty limit is above the limit. That part is covered. Focus on documentations that shows you have a stable job would be usefully.

Documented income slightly above the minimum requirement is often not enough to obtain the visa. Being below the minimum guarantees failure but barely meeting it does not assure success. It's a somewhat subjective judgment call made based on the totality of circumstances, not simply meeting some minimum requirement.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Documented income slightly above the minimum requirement is often not enough to obtain the visa. Being below the minimum guarantees failure but barely meeting it does not assure success. It's a somewhat subjective judgment call made based on the totality of circumstances, not simply meeting some minimum requirement.

Concur with Pushbrk -

Is a sufficient I-864 the only consideration for meeting any public charge issues at the time of the visa interview?

No, consular officers also look at other public charge factors affecting the financial situation of the sponsor and the applicant.

Age, health, education, skills, financial resources and family status of the applicant and the sponsor are factors.

Consular officers will verify to the extent possible that applicants have adequate financial support to prevent them becoming a public charge.

Source

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Well, here's the thing. I have about 5k in saving and she has about 4500k in savings as well. If these assets dont seem to be that much of a difference, why is there a form allowing me to do include any assets?

Assets do make a difference - it depends on the CO that is looking over you case, and what they think is sufficient to prevent a public charge.

Will you assets allow for five years of meeting the poverty level? This could be one of the questions. Every CO is different - depending on the embassy - little could be ok, where in other places, it won't cut it.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline

Well, here's the thing. I have about 5k in saving and she has about 4500k in savings as well. If these assets dont seem to be that much of a difference, why is there a form allowing me to do include any assets?

It's all relative. The reason there's a place on the form is so that the assets can be stated, documented and "considered". It's likely that a Consular officer will "consider" that such a small amount of cash means little in terms of future support. Now, if you really mean 4500k instead of 4500 dollars, that's another matter. 4500k is 4.5 million dollars.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Well, I would say a little over 1k....is it possible for them to deny me, even though i meet the requirements?

They can't deny you as long as your over even by $5. We were over by $50 and still got approved.

Timeline

They can't deny you as long as your over even by $5. We were over by $50 and still got approved.

This is not correct. They cannot approve you if you're under by $5 but having income over the minimum requirement is NOT a guarantee of approval on the public charge issue. HOW much over is enough varies widely by country and depending on the rest of the picture.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: El Salvador
Timeline

This is not correct. They cannot approve you if you're under by $5 but having income over the minimum requirement is NOT a guarantee of approval on the public charge issue. HOW much over is enough varies widely by country and depending on the rest of the picture.

It sounds like it's a hit or miss, depending on the CO reviewing my case at the time. I'm going to send over the i-864 with my assets, as well as hers. I assume that I need to attach bank statements showing the amount in my bank, as well as hers?

Also, let's say we get denied. How much longer will it delay the process? I dont imagine this step takes as long as it did to get the original petition approved...

Timeline

I didn't say UNDER i said OVER and i am a living proof that it does work...

Timeline

I didn't say UNDER i said OVER and i am a living proof that it does work...

You are living proof that having an income only slightly more than the minimum worked for you and that it CAN work. You are not living proof of what you actually wrote, which was, "They can't deny you as long as your over even by $5. ". There are thousands of living proof examples that statement is false.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

You are living proof that having an income only slightly more than the minimum worked for you and that it CAN work. You are not living proof of what you actually wrote, which was, "They can't deny you as long as your over even by $5. ". There are thousands of living proof examples that statement is false.

Prove me one man don't just put out a comment that there are examples to the contarary. as to my statement i can prove it...

Edited by Sean86

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Pushbrk is right here- the CO has discretion to allow even $1 over, but they can also disallow it. It will depend on the totality of the circumstances. For example- recent graduate USC in first job, beneficiary also with a good education and likely to be able to get a job will probably get approved. Petitioner in a dead-end job and a spotty work history, with older beneficiary close to retirement age? Less likely to be approved.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Pushbrk is right here- the CO has discretion to allow even $1 over, but they can also disallow it. It will depend on the totality of the circumstances. For example- recent graduate USC in first job, beneficiary also with a good education and likely to be able to get a job will probably get approved. Petitioner in a dead-end job and a spotty work history, with older beneficiary close to retirement age? Less likely to be approved.

Yeah and my wife a full time student barely made over the amount last year and not working AT ALL this year and we still get approved. We were told at the info pass that as long as your over thats all that matters.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.