19 posts in this topic

Not every state requires proof of legal status to get a State ID. You need to check your state to see if they require it.

State ID's are normally handled by the the DMV of each state. The place the issues drivers licenses. You can go to the link below, find your state and go to their DMV site to find out if you might be able to get an ID.

http://www.dmvnv.com/50_state_dmv_list.html

As to your status now, you could be picked up and detained because you have not applied to adjust your status. You are currently out of status, not really here legally or illegally. If you are detained, you'll be taken before a judge who will order you to adjust status. Ignore him and thats when the real trouble can start. Good luck to you, I hope you can get the money set aside to adjust your status soon.

i tried to came to DMV and i am eligible for that but when we came to the desk and the supervisor said my visa already expired and need to be extended, we explained it already that i came to USA with K1 visa and that expired means for 90 days marry, and i dont need to extended visa, and we told them too that i haven't get any process for AOS, and the supervisor said they need proof if later i already process for AOS

oh btw, if i already have my own GC in hand, should i still have state ID?

thank you

i tried to came to DMV and i am eligible for that but when we came to the desk and the supervisor said my visa already expired and need to be extended, we explained it already that i came to USA with K1 visa and that expired means for 90 days marry, and i dont need to extended visa, and we told them too that i haven't get any process for AOS, and the supervisor said they need proof if later i already process for AOS

oh btw, if i already have my own GC in hand, should i still have state ID?

thank you

It actually sounds like you're not eligible for a state ID in your state if they asked for the I-94. They were checking to see if you have a valid immigration status to be in the USA. You're not here illegally, but you don't have a valid status now either. When the I-94 expired, your status expired. You have no status until you apply to adjust status, then you're adjusting status which they probably won't accept either. No one is going to deport you for being out of status, but you're not going to be able to get an ID or a drivers license in your state. Like I mentioned, if you were to get stopped by ICE, they would detain you and until you saw a judge who would order you to adjust your status. You're not supposed to stay in the no status loop hole, and the laws are not written by states to accommodate those in this loop hole no status condition. Its too bad you didn't get an ID and SS number when you still had a valid I-94.

The green card is a very important document. Keep it in a safe place but carry a photocopy with you and use your state ID when you get it. You should probably do the same with your passport. I have my wife keep her passport and EAD card at home (she hasn't received her green card yet), only bringing them with her when she had to show them to start working or other special need original events. If the worst should happen and she needed the originals, I could easily go get them for her. I can't imagine the trouble we'd have if the originals were lost. Lots of money and time I'm sure would be the cost.

Edited by Caryh

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: Timeline

I can't imagine the trouble we'd have if the originals were lost. Lots of money and time I'm sure would be the cost.

Tell me about it! Any paper having to do with immigration, either from beneficiary country or on the petition end gives me nightmares about possibly losing hah! I thought I had lost our original NOA2 paper when I reorganized my files (only to find out thankfully that I had put it right where it should have been lol), and it costs MORE to replace the NOA2 single sheet document than to file the whole I-129f petition itself!!!

It actually sounds like you're not eligible for a state ID in your state if they asked for the I-94. They were checking to see if you have a valid immigration status to be in the USA. You're not here illegally, but you don't have a valid status now either. When the I-94 expired, your status expired. You have no status until you apply to adjust status, then you're adjusting status which they probably won't accept either. No one is going to deport you for being out of status, but you're not going to be able to get an ID or a drivers license in your state. Like I mentioned, if you were to get stopped by ICE, they would detain you and until you saw a judge who would order you to adjust your status. You're not supposed to stay in the no status loop hole, and the laws are not written by states to accommodate those in this loop hole no status condition. Its too bad you didn't get an ID and SS number when you still had a valid I-94.

The green card is a very important document. Keep it in a safe place but carry a photocopy with you and use your state ID when you get it. You should probably do the same with your passport. I have my wife keep her passport and EAD card at home (she hasn't received her green card yet), only bringing them with her when she had to show them to start working or other special need original events. If the worst should happen and she needed the originals, I could easily go get them for her. I can't imagine the trouble we'd have if the originals were lost. Lots of money and time I'm sure would be the cost.

Thanks a lot for your explanation Caryn, yes i think i can't get state ID cos i dont have any proof about legally here except my expired visa :)

i was wanna make SSN but one of friend of mine (k1 visa too ) told me we can't make SSN before we got GC in hand and i didn't know anything before about this website :( so here i am, no SSN yet

but it's okay, cos we will find out soon to get AOS for me

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.