luckytxn

Eating your placenta after childbirth

36 posts in this topic

Timeline

This is like one of the most gross things I have ever read so I thought I would share. star_smile.gif

Eating your placenta after childbirth may, or may not be, good for you

Researchers at the University at Buffalo and Buffalo State College have found that placentophagia, also known as eating the placenta or afterbirth, is widespread among non-human mammals but not among humans.

For non-humans, eating the placenta sparks more mother-infant interaction, provides some pregnancy-mediated analgesia to the mother, suppresses postpartum pseudopregnancy and is a catalyst for the onset of caretaking behavior, according to the study published online in the “Ecology of Food and Nutrition.”

However, while the practice is widespread and beneficial to other types of mammals the study’s authors point out this does mean eating your placenta would be a good idea for human mothers. In fact, they couldn’t really find any widespread placenta eating happening among humans, a result they think is curious.

Lead author Mark Kristal, professor of psychology and neuroscience at UB who has studied placentophagia for more than 40 years, points out that anecdotal accounts of women eating their own placentas after childbirth, does not make for a scientific study.

“People will do anything,” Kristal said in a press release. “But we shouldn’t read too much significance into reports of such exceptions, even if they are accurate, because they are neither reliable nor valid studies. My own studies found no evidence of the routine practice of placentophagia in other cultures, findings supported by a recent extensive study by anthropologists at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.”

“The more challenging anthropological question is… ‘why don’t humans engage in placentophagia as a biological imperative as so many other mammals apparently do?’ because we clearly do not do this as a matter of course today and apparently never have. Perhaps for humans, there is a greater adaptive advantage to not eating the placenta.”

The authors of the study do not suggest women start eating their placentas just because other animals do. The authors just urge that the effects of eating placenta be researched to identify the molecules that provide the beneficial effect, just as scientists study other substances for use in pharmacology.

While, the study notes no serious scientific study has been done on the effects of eating placenta, some women do say that eating it is good for them. (Most recently celebrity January Jones admitted she ate her placenta.) Some women bring the placenta to a preparer to be cooked, others look up DIY placenta recipes online, while others get it put into capsules they then call happy pills.

But while Jones said the placenta-eating was good for her, Nancy Redd writes for the New York Times Motherlode blog that for her it was a nightmare, and she was forced to stop after a few days:

After our son’s birth, I was meticulous about what went into my body. I declined all pain medication stronger than ibuprofen, and I even stopped using deodorant, fearing the rumors were true that aluminum might seep into my breast milk. I was a cheerful and healthy new mother. So why did I gobble placenta ground with what the processor mysteriously referred to as “cleansing herbs”? Somehow, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

But in my case, it was a terrible idea. Shortly after my first dose of two pills, I felt jittery and weird. By the next day, after just eight placenta pills, I was in tabloid-worthy meltdown mode, a frightening phase filled with tears and rage. This lasted another couple of awful days before my husband suggested that it wasn’t postpartum mommy madness finally making its appearance, but the hormone-and-goodness-knows-what-else-filled placenta pills.

My husband isn’t a doctor (though he is the son of doctors and has played one on screen), but he was right. After I went cold turkey on the placenta pills, I immediately felt better —exorcised even, of an entity that had willingly left my body but that I had stupidly, and with no medical supervision, scarfed back up.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

This is like one of the most gross things I have ever read so I thought I would share. star_smile.gif

Eating your placenta after childbirth may, or may not be, good for you

Researchers at the University at Buffalo and Buffalo State College have found that placentophagia, also known as eating the placenta or afterbirth, is widespread among non-human mammals but not among humans.

For non-humans, eating the placenta sparks more mother-infant interaction, provides some pregnancy-mediated analgesia to the mother, suppresses postpartum pseudopregnancy and is a catalyst for the onset of caretaking behavior, according to the study published online in the "Ecology of Food and Nutrition."

However, while the practice is widespread and beneficial to other types of mammals the study's authors point out this does mean eating your placenta would be a good idea for human mothers. In fact, they couldn't really find any widespread placenta eating happening among humans, a result they think is curious.

Lead author Mark Kristal, professor of psychology and neuroscience at UB who has studied placentophagia for more than 40 years, points out that anecdotal accounts of women eating their own placentas after childbirth, does not make for a scientific study.

"People will do anything," Kristal said in a press release. "But we shouldn't read too much significance into reports of such exceptions, even if they are accurate, because they are neither reliable nor valid studies. My own studies found no evidence of the routine practice of placentophagia in other cultures, findings supported by a recent extensive study by anthropologists at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas."

"The more challenging anthropological question is… 'why don't humans engage in placentophagia as a biological imperative as so many other mammals apparently do?' because we clearly do not do this as a matter of course today and apparently never have. Perhaps for humans, there is a greater adaptive advantage to not eating the placenta."

The authors of the study do not suggest women start eating their placentas just because other animals do. The authors just urge that the effects of eating placenta be researched to identify the molecules that provide the beneficial effect, just as scientists study other substances for use in pharmacology.

While, the study notes no serious scientific study has been done on the effects of eating placenta, some women do say that eating it is good for them. (Most recently celebrity January Jones admitted she ate her placenta.) Some women bring the placenta to a preparer to be cooked, others look up DIY placenta recipes online, while others get it put into capsules they then call happy pills.

But while Jones said the placenta-eating was good for her, Nancy Redd writes for the New York Times Motherlode blog that for her it was a nightmare, and she was forced to stop after a few days:

After our son's birth, I was meticulous about what went into my body. I declined all pain medication stronger than ibuprofen, and I even stopped using deodorant, fearing the rumors were true that aluminum might seep into my breast milk. I was a cheerful and healthy new mother. So why did I gobble placenta ground with what the processor mysteriously referred to as "cleansing herbs"? Somehow, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

But in my case, it was a terrible idea. Shortly after my first dose of two pills, I felt jittery and weird. By the next day, after just eight placenta pills, I was in tabloid-worthy meltdown mode, a frightening phase filled with tears and rage. This lasted another couple of awful days before my husband suggested that it wasn't postpartum mommy madness finally making its appearance, but the hormone-and-goodness-knows-what-else-filled placenta pills.

My husband isn't a doctor (though he is the son of doctors and has played one on screen), but he was right. After I went cold turkey on the placenta pills, I immediately felt better —exorcised even, of an entity that had willingly left my body but that I had stupidly, and with no medical supervision, scarfed back up.

If the placenta is the after birth, what's the pre-birth, si man?

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

If the placenta is the after birth, what's the pre-birth, si man?

Was that idea pre conceived ?

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

oxytocin release also useful, in lieu of that placenta stuff.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Was that idea pre conceived ?

No, it went full-term. Ova and out,

IR5

Timeline

If you don't know what the pre-birth is I won't be telling you about the birds and bees.star_smile.gif

Does a a six-pack of Lowenbrau figure prominent;y in the equation?whistling.gif

IR5

Timeline

Does a a six-pack of Lowenbrau figure prominent;y in the equation?whistling.gif

:lol:

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Wouldn't pre-birth be the amniotic fluid when the water breaks? It'd be hard to consume that though - it's usually a surprise when the water breaks and most people aren't going to be prepared to catch or capture it.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Timeline

Wouldn't pre-birth be the amniotic fluid when the water breaks? It'd be hard to consume that though - it's usually a surprise when the water breaks and most people aren't going to be prepared to catch or capture it.

OK.star_smile.gif

We used to have to bury the afterbirth when our mares foaled or the dog would eat it. And if you didn't bury it deep enough he would dig it up.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Timeline

Could always incorporate it into a food flag.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Sick, sick, sick. Oh did I forget to say sick?

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12