Bad_Daddy

Wisconsin father defends family from drunk intruder

123 posts in this topic

http://news.yahoo.com/wisconsin-shooting-puts-castle-law-under-scrutiny-021356052.html

By Maria Rohde | Reuters – Mon, Mar 26, 2012

MILWAUKEE (Reuters) - The decision by authorities not to charge a homeowner who shot dead an unarmed black man in a small Wisconsin town three weeks ago has drawn scrutiny to the state's new "castle doctrine" law and comparisons to the Trayvon Martin shooting in Florida.

Authorities ruled the killing of Bo Morrison, 20, by a Slinger, Wisconsin, homeowner on his porch justifiable in possibly the first such case under an expanded castle doctrine law enacted late last year, prosecutors said.

The law allows homeowners facing imminent danger to their lives to protect themselves using deadly force if necessary.

About 150 people protested Sunday at the Washington County Courthouse in nearby West Bend, Wisconsin. A rally also was planned for Tuesday in Madison for Morrison and Martin, 17, who was shot dead by a neighborhood watch volunteer in Florida. The volunteer, who is white Hispanic, has claimed self-defense and has not been charged in that case.

"Under a reasonable view of the evidence the homeowner acted reasonably in his use of force based on the facts and circumstances," county District Attorney Mark Bensen said.

According to Bensen's report clearing homeowner Adam Kind, Morrison attended a party in a garage adjacent to Kind's house with about 20 young adults the night of the shooting.

Kind, 35, called police at about 1 a.m. March 3 complaining of loud music coming from a car parked in his neighbor's driveway.

Police contacted the parents of the girls who were hosting the party and they told everyone to leave, the report said.

Morrison, who had previous run-ins with the police and had a blood-alcohol content more than twice the legal limit for driving in Wisconsin, left the party.

Kind, who said his concern was elevated because his wife, two children and a child guest were in the house, retrieved a handgun after he heard noises on his porch, the report said.

Kind loaded the handgun, went to the porch and confronted Morrison, who was wearing dark clothing, the report said. Kind fired one shot as Morrison walked toward him, then yelled for his wife to call 911, the report said.

An attorney representing Kind said the shooting of Morrison in the enclosed porch would have been considered justifiable under Wisconsin's prior law as well.

"All the factors to prove self-defense under the old law were present," lawyer Craig Mastantuono said.

Morrison's mother, Lauri Morrison, said he was trying to hide because he had previous tickets for underage drinking.

"He executed my son," Morrison said. "This cannot happen to another kid."

Morrison's sister, Kayla Morrison, said the former high school athlete had gotten in with the wrong crowd for a while, "But he was not a criminal. He was not a violent person."

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Some people...some famous, some not...just hate it when a home owner is allowed to defend his home. I mean that's almost un-American these days and I'm sure it's not considered "politically correct".

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Country:
Timeline

So he entered an "Enclosed Porch", if the porch was open to the elements then maybe I could see questioning the shooting a little more but more often than not an enclosed porch is considered an extension of the home's interior.

An attorney representing Kind said the shooting of Morrison in the enclosed porch would have been considered justifiable under Wisconsin's prior law as well.

"All the factors to prove self-defense under the old law were present," lawyer Craig Mastantuono said.

So he had a complete defence, and it appears justice was served properly. Do you have any point further than this?

Edited by Honey Crumpet

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

So he entered an "Enclosed Porch", if the porch was open to the elements then maybe I could see questioning the shooting a little more but more often than not an enclosed porch is considered an extension of the home's interior.

The porch was locked and he kicked the door in. Your going to be seeing more of this in the future I think. People don't have as much respect these days as they did in the past and with all the home invasions, etc.. with people getting brutally murdered it's had an affect on the good citizens of this country. The worse things get the more of this you will see, especially with the gun laws finally loosening up.

Buy more ammo!

sigbet.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

So he had a complete defence, and it appears justice was served properly. Do you have any point further than this?

I don't. It is perfectly clear. It is legal and justifiable to kill someone under the laws of the jurisdiction where the attack or intrusion occurs.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Somebody send this to Al Sharpton.

And Spike Lee!

And Will Smith.

And Obama...

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

I don't. It is perfectly clear. It is legal and justifiable to kill someone under the laws of the jurisdiction where the attack or intrusion occurs.

It's a red-letter day -- we're in total agreement on this point.

I never seen you agree with anyone before.blink.gif

Really? I think I've even agreed with you on a couple of occasions. ;)

Also, Trompe and I are in firm agreement that Arbitron ratings are the ne plus ultra of radio ratings. star_smile.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

The biggest problem I had with the story was that he got his handgun and then loaded it......

If home-boy had kicked in the front door and come straight in there might not have been time to load.

Yeah I know some people are thinking "awe man the guy was just drunk, he would have wondered off..... and maybe it's true but,

When you barge into someone home YOU set the wheels in motion, you force the home owner to roll the odds of whether you are a harmless drunk or out for more sinister acts.

If the Homeowner decides you are a real risk and pulls the trigger, oh well you created the situation.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

It's a red-letter day -- we're in total agreement on this point.

Feels good to be right, doesn't it? You get used to it eventually.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla