24 posts in this topic

HI, I AM A LEGAL PERMANENT RESIDENT ( 10YEAR), MY 22 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER LIVES IN ENGLAND,, WHATS THE BEST/QUICKEST WAY FOR HER TO COME HERE TO LIVE, SHE IS LOOKING AT GETTING A WORK PERMIT ALONE CAN SHE DO THIS OR DOES SHE HAVE TO HAVE A SPONSOR, IF SO I DONT THINK SHE WILL QUALIFY FOR THE SPONSOR JOBS, CAN SHE COME ON A TOURIST VISA TO VISIT ME AND THEN PUT IN PAPERWORK OR DOES SHE HAVE TO STAY IN ENGLAND, ALSO CAN SHE STILL COME ON LIKE 2 WEEK VISITS IF SHE HAS TO STAY IN ENGLAND, WILL IT BE BEST FOR HER STEPDAD TO APPLY OR ME ( HER MUM )IS THIS DONE THE SAME WAY I GOT LPR I-130 & I465AOS, ANY HELP WOULD BE GRATEFULLY RECEIVED ..... DEBBIE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Work visas are allpied for by the company and they are for people that have a talent you can't hire readily here. Not much of a chance for normal people.

As an LPR you can apply for your adult unmarried daughter the wait is quite long They are working petitions of people that filed in 2004.

If you become a USC then unmarried the wait is from 2005 and married the wait is from 2002 ( talking your daughters status ) If she qualifies for VWP ( no criminal history or overstays ) she can visit 90 days at a time not exceedig 180 days a year.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

HI, I AM A LEGAL PERMANENT RESIDENT ( 10YEAR), MY 22 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER LIVES IN ENGLAND,, WHATS THE BEST/QUICKEST WAY FOR HER TO COME HERE TO LIVE, SHE IS LOOKING AT GETTING A WORK PERMIT ALONE CAN SHE DO THIS OR DOES SHE HAVE TO HAVE A SPONSOR, IF SO I DONT THINK SHE WILL QUALIFY FOR THE SPONSOR JOBS, CAN SHE COME ON A TOURIST VISA TO VISIT ME AND THEN PUT IN PAPERWORK OR DOES SHE HAVE TO STAY IN ENGLAND, ALSO CAN SHE STILL COME ON LIKE 2 WEEK VISITS IF SHE HAS TO STAY IN ENGLAND, WILL IT BE BEST FOR HER STEPDAD TO APPLY OR ME ( HER MUM )IS THIS DONE THE SAME WAY I GOT LPR I-130 & I465AOS, ANY HELP WOULD BE GRATEFULLY RECEIVED ..... DEBBIE

The fastest way to bring daughter, is marrying an US Citizen.

Secondly I prefer get her on H1B visa(work visa), but need an us base company to sponsor her for skilled worker preferrence. If she is holdong master degree, she could get her green card within 2 years.

If you apply for your daughter that could take 5-6 years because your lpr status.

APPROVED

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Work visas are allpied for by the company and they are for people that have a talent you can't hire readily here. Not much of a chance for normal people.

As an LPR you can apply for your adult unmarried daughter the wait is quite long They are working petitions of people that filed in 2004.

If you become a USC then unmarried the wait is from 2005 and married the wait is from 2002 ( talking your daughters status ) If she qualifies for VWP ( no criminal history or overstays ) she can visit 90 days at a time not exceedig 180 days a year.

good.gifgood.gif

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

thank you for your responses friends of the forum, so it seems the wait is long for a family member, so as for work permit am i assuming that although come this christmas, she will have a masters degree in fine arts, she would have to find a job in that catagory.. she is already a manager at the costa coffee ( starbucks equivalent ) there would be no chance of her getting a sponser from this company as its not a skilled talent, would i be right??

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

you would be right.

Another option would be for her to apply for a phD program at yer local university, to matriculate after she finishes up her masters program.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Costa does not operate in the US. It is a subsidiary of Whitbread but I do not think they do either.

Not that they would be likely to transfer staff anyway.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

How old was the daughter when you married USC? If under 18, your husband can petition for her as a step-daughter. If over 18, you can only petition for her. I am asking as your timeline shows 2009 as AOS...

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Hi diamond member,, my daughter was only 17 when i married my husband,, she is not actually 21 until june 2012, i put 22 because she will be closer to that after finishing university at christmas,

does anyone know if we were to apply like NOW before she is 21 would it make a difference. and also that she will be over 21 by the time it gets processed.

also something else i thought of...what if she came for the 90days on the vwp and found a job ( that doesnt require a special talent ) could she apply for just a work permit for non residents,, even if it meant going back to UK a few times until she can get something sorted

thanks debbie

ps diamondmember,, congrats on citizenship,, please tell me what questions were you asked during interview,, im due to go for mine later this year and just wondered if they asked some of the more difficult ones that are among the list of 100

thanks debbie

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Hi diamond member,, my daughter was only 17 when i married my husband,, she is not actually 21 until june 2012, i put 22 because she will be closer to that after finishing university at christmas,

does anyone know if we were to apply like NOW before she is 21 would it make a difference. and also that she will be over 21 by the time it gets processed.

CSPA would freeze her Immigration Age at the date the I-130 is accepted if she's petitioned as an Immediate Relative of a US Citizen. Have your husband file TODAY to get that age frozen.

so if we file I=130 now, and thats accepted, can she stay in UK while the I-485 AOS is filed which would hopefully be near christmas by the time all is processed, another question would it be a problem to file the i-130 now then wait till she finished university, fly her across here then put in the i-485 would this look like we dragging it out.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I would strongly suggest you either read the Guides or appoint a Lawyer to handle this for you.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

does anyone know if we were to apply like NOW before she is 21 would it make a difference. and also that she will be over 21 by the time it gets processed. It makes a world of difference. Being 20 vs. 22 makes a big difference in the immigration process. You should have disclosed this in your original post.

also something else i thought of...what if she came for the 90days on the vwp and found a job ( that doesnt require a special talent ) could she apply for just a work permit for non residents,, even if it meant going back to UK a few times until she can get something sorted There is no process for this. Read the instructions for using the VWP. The VWP does not allow a person to work. There is no work permit available that would allow her to work in the US.

thanks debbie

so if we file I=130 now, and thats accepted, can she stay in UK while the I-485 AOS is filed which would hopefully be near christmas by the time all is processed, another question would it be a problem to file the i-130 now then wait till she finished university, fly her across here then put in the i-485 would this look like we dragging it out. You do not file an I-485 for her because she is not eligible to adjust from outside the US.

I would strongly suggest you either read the Guides or appoint a Lawyer to handle this for you.

To all posting on this forum - provide the correct information if you want the correct answers. If you fudge the age, marital status, or other pertinent information, you will get a bunch of wrong answers.

If the OP had accurately disclosed that his stepdaughter is currently under age 21, he would have gotten the correct information. Instead he fudged her age by telling us she is 22 in his first post. This resulted in good answers to his post, but the wrong answers for his situation.

Please be forthright with your situations. Don't change facts.

----------------

Deb & Phil. Please describe your situation accurately. If you had, you would have gotten the correct answer in the first reply. By changing the pertinent facts, you created a big mess.

Since you married mom before your stepdaughter's 18th birthday, you can file for your stepdaughter.

If you file the I-130 before her 21st birthday, her age will be frozen at 20 for immigration purposes. Filing means USCIS receives the petition before her 21st birthday. Do not wait until the week before her 21st birthday. If the post office fails to deliver the petition before her 21st birthday to USCIS, there is no way to fix a late delivery. File it now.

She is currently in the UK. You do not file the I-485 to adjust her status (AOS). Read the instructions for Form I-485; it is only for beneficiaries who are already physically in the US.

You seem very lost. I agree with Boiler - you might want to retain an attorney to help you. If you screw up the filings and your stepdaughter turns 21, then you are looking at 6-7 years before she can legally immigrate to the US.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

also something else i thought of...what if she came for the 90days on the vwp and found a job ( that doesnt require a special talent ) could she apply for just a work permit for non residents,, even if it meant going back to UK a few times until she can get something sorted

thanks debbie

well, this is different, aye?

as I recall, if she's under 18 prior to the marriage

and currently under 21 (you have a few months)

then

the husband can file for an IR-2 , via filing the I-130 , and asking for an expedite with a cover letter ...

i've walked some ppl through this over the last year.

your time is very tight - let me know if you'd like to try ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.