fantasmal

New to Forum Looking for Advice

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

New update: Turns out filing for her to stay here is just too expensive at the moment. I didn't realize the fee for the I-485 was so exorbitant. We won't be able to come up with the money in time before April 29th. We are still going to do the I-130 of course, however we will need to evaluate our options at this point. I'm pretty heartbroken that I won't be able to see her everyday come the end of May but we are going to soldier-on. If she decides to visit again in July via the VWP, can we still file the I-485 while she is here so she can stay? Or is that pushing it?

That might be pushing it. If she enters under the VWP with intent to immigrate that would be visa fraud and could cause you a lot of trouble.

01/27/2011 - Trevor's N400 submitted
02/18/2011 - Married
04/02/2011 - NOA1 hard copy received - priority date 03/30/2011
07/08/2011 - Trevor is now a USC - called USCIS to request upgrade of the petition.
08/02/2011 - NOA2
09/08/2011 - LND case number received, medical booked
09/26/2011 - Case complete at NVC
09/30/2011 - Interview date assigned
11/08/2011 - Interview - approved!!
11/10/2011 - Visa in hand
12/04/2011 - POE in Atlanta
12/12/2011 - SSN number received in mail
12/12/2011 - Welcome notice received
01/06/2012 - Green card received
09/06/2013 - File for Removal of Conditions
10/01/2013 - Biometrics for ROC
02/03/2014 - Card production email received

02/17/2014 - 2nd card production email received

02/28/2014 - 10 year Green card received

So if I am understanding correctly, you are planning to take the CR-1 route instead of AOS?

While this is perfectly fine, and actually according to some, a more "by the book" route than AOS from VWP, in terms of costs remember to factor in the extra flight back as well as other possible cost coming from her going home. However, if she has loose ends to tie up back in the UK, maybe a lease to end, things to pick up, etc., CR-1 might very well be the smarter option at this point.

Regarding your question about the I-485 - No. That train has passed if she does not file for AOS during this trip. Once she has left the US after this visit, she has demonstrated clear intent to immigrate. Not only has she married an American while here, but you two will also have had filed the I-130, so it is 100% clear she is intending to immigrate to the US. Entering the US with a non-immigrant visa - i.e. the VWP - and having the preconceived intent to remain here to adjust status is visa fraud. It's either AOS now, or CR-1. If you take the CR-1 route, it is possible that she would be able to visit the US while the visa is pending, but she would have to leave again and wait out the process in the UK. I believe the acerage processing times are around 9-10 months.

Edited by Little_My

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Filed: Timeline

New update: Turns out filing for her to stay here is just too expensive at the moment. I didn't realize the fee for the If she decides to visit again in July via the VWP, can we still file the I-485 while she is here so she can stay? Or is that pushing it?

I'd be very wary about doing that.

It's fully legal to adjust status. It's very illegal to enter the US on the VWP with the intent to adjust status. It works like this: When you enter the US under the VWP, you tell the CBP officer that your intention is to visit, and leave within 90 days. Thus, telling the CBP officer you're "visiting" when in fact you're intending to adjust status is considered fraud. A very serious charge.

Basically. If she were to visit in July and you guys decide on a whim to that she should stay, you're ok. As long as you can prove it was on a whim.

The safest route to go if she does have to leave would be for you to file an I-130 petition for her. This will cost $420 at initial filing and you can file it while she's still here. It'll take about 4 - 6 months to be approved, and she can then apply for a CR-1 visa. Once the CR-1 is approved, she can enter the US and will become a legal permanent resident upon arrival. No adjustment of status necessary.

She may visit you on the VWP while the I-130 is in process.People have had various degrees of luck with this, but if she can show sufficient ties to the UK, she shouldn't have too big of a problem. I've visited the US on the VWP while being married to my American wife, no problem. They ask simple questions, I give simple and generic (but truthful) answers.

Edited by jaejayC

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

What if we wait to file the I-130, would we be able to file the whole AOS packet if she came back on VWP? Or can she not do that anymore by simply marrying?

Edit: Nevermind, this was addressed in the post above mine.

Edited by fantasmal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.