19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Yes, it is possible to call IRS and ask them any tax questions you may have. They are the tax gods, they know the answer to every question you may have. Pick up the phone and dial now!!!

No need to call the IRS, this topic has been discussed extensively on these forums in prior filing seasons. If you were married at the end of 2011 then your filing options are Married Filing Jointly, Married Filing Separately or Head of Household, if you have dependent children living with you. Filing as Single is not a correct option. The OP needs to filing an amended return and change his filing status to married filing separately if he does not want to apply for an ITIN. The OP should follow the advice that "WrightFamily" was given when he called the IRS.

Here is a link to a tool on the IRS website that helps you determine your filing status. If you truthfully answer the questions you will get your correct filing status.

What is my Filing Status?

Edited by CarlosAndSveta

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

If you file as married the correct status's are Married filing jointly, married filing separately or single head of household. Filing as single will get you a bigger return but should you ever get audited you will be subject to fines and penalities.

I think some people are not getting it clearly understood that if my wife in NOT in USA and have no knowledge about aquiring itin # to file as couple, how im suppose to file my taxes.......a lot of people file their taxes electronically and you cant file as couple without ssn or the itin #. i see people filling as single and never had any issues. i think individual case is different and such treated differently, is all about how to explain certain things.

good luck to all of us

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I think some people are not getting it clearly understood that if my wife in NOT in USA and have no knowledge about aquiring itin # to file as couple, how im suppose to file my taxes.......a lot of people file their taxes electronically and you cant file as couple without ssn or the itin #. i see people filling as single and never had any issues. i think individual case is different and such treated differently, is all about how to explain certain things.

good luck to all of us

You should not file as single if you were married at the end of 2011. You should file Married Filing Separately but you will have to file a paper return since most tax preparation software will not allow you to file electronically without your spouse's SSN / ITIN. You may or may not have any issues with the IRS or USCIS if you file as Single eventhough you are Married. There is a right way and a wrong way to do things. You have been told the right way. The choice is up to you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

good luck to all of us

People also come to the US with a visitors visa with intent to get married and don't get caught. It is still wrong. The allowed filing catagories are as I stated. Married filing jointly, married filing separately and single head of household.

Try this and see the options single is NOT one of the outcomes. What is my tax status

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.