19 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

VJ family,

Please answer me only if you sure of your suggestions,

Im married and my wife is in overseas, I filed my 2011 tax returns as single because the system requires me to put my wife SSN or ITTN if filling jointly or marriage filling seperately, My question is will this affect me and if so what will i do to correct the situation.

is it possible to call irs and see if they can do something about it?

thanks soo much

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

VJ family,

Im married and my wife is in overseas, I filed my 2011 tax returns as single because the system requires me to put my wife SSN or ITTN if filling jointly or marriage filling seperately, My question is will this affect me and if so what will i do to correct the situation.

thanks soo much

If you were married before and during December you are to file MARRIED and apply for an ITIN.

You need to file an amended tax return and fix it.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

Thanks a lot

will this hurt me when im presenting my income to support her, i have no idea to go trough all that to get ITIN from irs and without it there is no way i can file my tax return as couple. please any advice

Timeline

will this hurt me when im presenting my income to support her, i have no idea to go trough all that to get ITIN from irs and without it there is no way i can file my tax return as couple. please any advice

Will it hurt you? probably specially from that country that she will have to have the interview they will see the taxes that you filed SINGLE when your married and probably ask if the marriage is fake.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I understood this differently and I think a simple call to the irs would be your best bet. I filed head of household because I have dependants living with me which I support (my children) and I did Not include my non-resident alien spouse or his income on my tax returns since we've been married. I believe you have a choice according to irs.gov, but the first year you do decide to file taxes for her, you must file each subsequent year...check out this link & call them.

My link

Married Sept.3,2010

02/11/2011: I130 Sent

02/21/2011: NOA1

06/22/2011: NOA2

06/30/2011: NVC

07/05/2011: DS-3032 email received

07/05/2011: DS-3032 emailed

07/06/2011: AOS Bill received

07/06/2011: AOS Fee Paid

07/09/2011: I864 Sent

07/11/2011: IV Fee Bill received

08/30/2011: IV Fee Paid

09/30/2011: IV Pkg Sent

10/24/2011: RFE (we dragged our feet from here on)

(forget all this for now, let's go on holiday!)

03/13/2012: NVC CASE COMPLETE!!

04/05/2012: Received interview appt email

06/22/2012: Medical @ Knightsbridge

06/29/2012: Interview 8am-Result: Pending

??/??/????: I601 Filed at Lock-Box

Timeline

I understood this differently and I think a simple call to the irs would be your best bet. I filed head of household because I have dependants living with me which I support (my children) and I did Not include my non-resident alien spouse or his income on my tax returns since we've been married. I believe you have a choice according to irs.gov, but the first year you do decide to file taxes for her, you must file each subsequent year...check out this link & call them.

My link

You have NO choice. If you are married before and during December the IRS requires you to file as married.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

You have NO choice. If you are married before and during December the IRS requires you to file as married.

OK, well obviously filing single doesn't have the "unmarried for tax purposes" rule that head of household has. When qualifying dependants are involved you are considered unmarried even when legally married if your spouse doesn't live with you more than 6mos/yr and you pay more than half of the expenses of the household. Sorry..

Married Sept.3,2010

02/11/2011: I130 Sent

02/21/2011: NOA1

06/22/2011: NOA2

06/30/2011: NVC

07/05/2011: DS-3032 email received

07/05/2011: DS-3032 emailed

07/06/2011: AOS Bill received

07/06/2011: AOS Fee Paid

07/09/2011: I864 Sent

07/11/2011: IV Fee Bill received

08/30/2011: IV Fee Paid

09/30/2011: IV Pkg Sent

10/24/2011: RFE (we dragged our feet from here on)

(forget all this for now, let's go on holiday!)

03/13/2012: NVC CASE COMPLETE!!

04/05/2012: Received interview appt email

06/22/2012: Medical @ Knightsbridge

06/29/2012: Interview 8am-Result: Pending

??/??/????: I601 Filed at Lock-Box

Timeline

i was married but fileed single because my wife lived in ghana and i did not want to go through the husle of applying for the itin moreso her interview date was close and even when she went for the interview nobody asked her. i personally dont think it's a big deal because people file married but filing single so why will the embassy want to make it a problem if you can defend your reason.

Timeline

i was married but fileed single because my wife lived in ghana and i did not want to go through the husle of applying for the itin moreso her interview date was close and even when she went for the interview nobody asked her. i personally dont think it's a big deal because people file married but filing single so why will the embassy want to make it a problem if you can defend your reason.

thank you so much for this

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I completely understand your point.Just make sure you contact the IRS and ask them also.This will come up for questioning at the interview so please make sure you are able to tell the CO and hopefully after you talk to the IRS and they tell you what you could have done you can tell the CO what the IRS told you.I don't think its going to affect you too much.

MUST,

Its the Law that if you are Married - You must state it on your Tax forms. So many people here on VJ has posted problems at there interview due to the petitioner not claiming the wife (beneficiary) on there Taxes and have to bring back more supporting documents before Visa is issued!

My wife has never been here to the U.S.

I went to the IRS Head office in Austin, Texas to due my 2011 Taxes due to so much miss-information i read on forms. They had me File as Married filing separate and the section for spouses name they put "NRA", this means non-resident alien

Good Luck

Robert

Edited by WrightFamily

USCIS

05/29/2011: Married

08/12/2011: Sent I-130 packet.

08/15/2011: NOA1, Priority Date

02/22/2012: NOA2 - Approved

02/25/2012: NOA2 - Received hard copy in mail

NVC

03/06/2012: NVC received

03/07/2012: NVC Case Number, BIN & IIN Assigned

03/08/2012: DS3032 sent by email (auto response received immediately)

03/13/2012: Re-send DS3032 by email (auto response received immediately)

03/13/2012: Received (2)Email with DS-3032 Kit and AOS Bill instructions

03/14/2012: AOS bill appears as PAID

03/16/2012: Mailed AOS package (I-864)USPS EXPRESS

03/16/2012: DS-3032 Accepted Via Beneficiary Email (Took 8 DAYS from 1st Email)

03/20/2012: IV bill invoiced & paid $404.00

03/21/2012: IV bill Payment reflecting PAID / AOS checklist received

03/30/2012: IV package DS-230 sent via USPS Priority

04/02/2012: IV package Delivered @ 11:55 am w/signature

04/12/2012: Re-Sent DS-230 Part 1 W/Photocopy of receipt from Hong Kong Police Via USPS EXPRESS

04/13/2012: DS-230 Part 1 package Delivered to NVC ATTN:DR @11:52am

04/17/2012: CASE COMPLETE (41 Days @NVC)

04/22/2012: Request Expedite

04/24/2012: Expedite Approved!(2days)

04/25/2012: Case sent to U.S. Consulate General in HONG KONG

Medical / US Consulate / POE:

04/30/2012: U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong received

05/16/2012: Interview Scheduled May 22, 2012

05/22/2012: Interview APPROVED!!!!!!

05/26/2012: Visa in Hand (9 months 11 days from NOA1)

VJ family,

thanks soo much

Yes, it is possible to call IRS and ask them any tax questions you may have. They are the tax gods, they know the answer to every question you may have. Pick up the phone and dial now!!!

Edited by Stauber

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If you file as married the correct status's are Married filing jointly, married filing separately or single head of household. Filing as single will get you a bigger return but should you ever get audited you will be subject to fines and penalities.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.