irishrose831

married and 5 year Resident

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I received my greedcard through my American born husband in July 2007(thats the date on card),we briefly seperated(not legally) for 6 months in July 2010, worked out our problems in Feb 2011 and everything is going good, when can I apply for citizenship? Also, will the citizenship interviewer give me a hard time because of our brief seperation? I never left the state and have live in New Jersey all the time.

Thanks guys!! :)

Hi everyone,

I received my greedcard through my American born husband in July 2007(thats the date on card),we briefly seperated(not legally) for 6 months in July 2010, worked out our problems in Feb 2011 and everything is going good, when can I apply for citizenship? Also, will the citizenship interviewer give me a hard time because of our brief seperation? I never left the state and have live in New Jersey all the time.

Thanks guys!! :)

Should be no problem at all. Just apply based on 5-year residency. Much easier and smoother process (not as many documents and questions asked) when compared to a marriage-based application.

Edited by nwctzn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I think you could apply now,, as you never officially separated and have been together over a year now. However, I would suggest waiting another month, and apply 90 days from your 5 year anniversary. That way, you don;t have to bother with any bonafide marriage proof and can just apply based on 5 years residency.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Should be no problem at all. Just apply based on 5-year residency. Much easier and smoother process (not as many documents and questions asked) when compared to a marriage-based application.

[/quote

Thanks guys for the prompt answer, I was just scared due to our seperation that I would get into trouble, as I said we worked out our problems and have a 7 year old son together, we have never been happier, now its down to the study of 100 questions, I think I am going to wait until end of April to apply just to be on the safe side:: Thanks again for your help, I LOVE THIS FORUM

Thank you for the reply,

I just thought they would start questioning me on why we seperated, we have a 7 year old son together and have never been happier, just to be on the safe side I am going to appy end of April, I am excited and nervous at the same time, I now have to study the 100 questions though I do know a lot of them!! this forum ROCKS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

If you've had your greencard for five years, you can apply for citizenship in your own right and it doesn't matter what your marital status is.

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I recently naturalized based on 5(+) years as a LPR, even though I have been married to a USC since 2001.

It's definitely a much smoother process to apply this way.

My IO did ask if I had married my fiancee and if were still married (As my Greencard had the IF -Immigrant Fiance - code on it).

Even if the IO asks you the same the questions you can answer "Yes" truthfully.

5 year residency will be much easier for you...

also, July 2010 is after you removed conditions, so doesn't really matter anymore....

You've waited this long, just wait another month and apply based on 5 years, much less supporting documents to submit...

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

If you've had your greencard for five years, you can apply for citizenship in your own right and it doesn't matter what your marital status is.

Thanks Karen:)

I recently naturalized based on 5(+) years as a LPR, even though I have been married to a USC since 2001.

It's definitely a much smoother process to apply this way.

My IO did ask if I had married my fiancee and if were still married (As my Greencard had the IF -Immigrant Fiance - code on it).

Even if the IO asks you the same the questions you can answer "Yes" truthfully.

Thank you for info

5 year residency will be much easier for you...

also, July 2010 is after you removed conditions, so doesn't really matter anymore....

You've waited this long, just wait another month and apply based on 5 years, much less supporting documents to submit...

thanks V

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.