LucidSofia

Chances of getting B2 Tourist Visa

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Hey everyone,

I want to go to the US to visit a friend for 6 months. I was born in Mexico but I have a Swedish passport, so I could go to the US on the Visa Waiver Program but then I would only be able to stay for 90 days. I finish my university studies in Spain in either june or september, and then I would like to spend 6 months in the US traveling/relaxing, and then come back and do my masters in Spain.

I do not own property, have a job nor have sick relatives to take care of, all I can say to prove non-immigrant intent I guess would be to say that I plan on coming back to do my masters, but I dont have an admission letter because one doesnt apply until around march (of next year). So I dont have any physical evidence of non-immigrant intent other than the fact that I have gone to the US previously on the Visa Waiver Program, once, for 10 days and I came back. Also, the fact that I'm applying for the tourist visa so that I can legally stay in the country for 6 months rather than just going on the VWP, must say something right? If I planned to immigrant I could just go on the VWP and then not come back, instead of going through all the hassle of getting a tourist visa.

My questions are:

What could I possibly bring with me to the interview to show I have nonimmigrant intent?

What are the chances that I'll be given the visa given my current situation, without any document supporting nonimmigrant intent?

If i get rejected the tourist visa, will it make it harder to travel to the US on the VWP in the future?

Also; does it help my case if my American friend sponsors me, or would I be better of showing I have sufficiente economic means on my own (my parents support), or would it be better to bring both?

Answers to any of these questions would be greatly appreciated!

-Sofia

Edited by LucidSofia

I'm the beneficiary.

USCIS
02/05/13 - Sent I-130 to Chicago Lockbox
02/14/13 - I-130 delivered
02/19/13 - NOA1 email, routed to NBC smile.png
03/29/13 - NOA2! (38 days from NOA1)
04/03/13 - Shipped to NVC

NVC
04/09/13 - NVC received
04/17/13 - Case number and IIN received
04/17/13 - Sent DS3032 email
04/23/13 - AoS fee invoiced and paid
04/24/13 - Resent DS3032 (Supervisor review), accepted within the hour

04/25/13 - IV fee invoiced

04/30/13 - IV fee paid

04/30/13 - IV and AOS packages sent together

05/02/13 - Packages delivered

05/13/13 - Expedite request sent

05/14/13 - IV packet accepted

05/16/13 - Expedite granted

05/21/13 - Case sent to embassy

Embassy

05/24/13 - Case arrived at embassy (according to DHL)

05/29/13 - Case arrived at embassy (according to embassy) Interview date scheduled!

06/05/13 - Medical

06/14/13 - Interview - APPROVED!

07/22/13 - POE Atlanta

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hey everyone,

I want to go to the US to visit a friend for 6 months. I was born in Mexico but I have a Swedish passport, so I could go to the US on the Visa Waiver Program but then I would only be able to stay for 90 days. I finish my university studies in Spain in either june or september, and then I would like to spend 6 months in the US traveling/relaxing, and then come back and do my masters in Spain.

I do not own property, have a job nor have sick relatives to take care of, all I can say to prove non-immigrant intent I guess would be to say that I plan on coming back to do my masters, but I dont have an admission letter because one doesnt apply until around march (of next year). So I dont have any physical evidence of non-immigrant intent other than the fact that I have gone to the US previously on the Visa Waiver Program, once, for 10 days and I came back. Also, the fact that I'm applying for the tourist visa so that I can legally stay in the country for 6 months rather than just going on the VWP, must say something right? If I planned to immigrant I could just go on the VWP and then not come back, instead of going through all the hassle of getting a tourist visa.

My questions are:

What could I possibly bring with me to the interview to show I have nonimmigrant intent?

What are the chances that I'll be given the visa given my current situation, without any document supporting nonimmigrant intent?

If i get rejected the tourist visa, will it make it harder to travel to the US on the VWP in the future?

Also; does it help my case if my American friend sponsors me, or would I be better of showing I have sufficiente economic means on my own (my parents support), or would it be better to bring both?

Answers to any of these questions would be greatly appreciated!

-Sofia

I can't guess as what you could possibly bring to show that you have reasons to leave the US to resume your life or what your chances are.

If your visitor visa is rejected, you will probably not be able to use the VWP for a indeterminable amount of time.

Your friends cannot sponsor you for a visitor visa. You qualify on your own.

--------------

ESTA is required to qualify for the VWP. Without ESTA, you cannot use the VWP.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/without/without_1990.html#denied

I was denied a visa on a recent visa application, may I use the VWP?

A recent visa denial for any reason could result in denial of an authorization via ESTA, additional questioning at the port of entry, or denial of admission to the United States. Applicants who are uncertain of whether they qualify for VWP travel may choose to apply for a visa.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Timeline

Also, the fact that I'm applying for the tourist visa so that I can legally stay in the country for 6 months rather than just going on the VWP, must say something right? If I planned to immigrant I could just go on the VWP and then not come back, instead of going through all the hassle of getting a tourist visa.

That right there are my thoughts exactly...it should be a no-brainer..

something tells me they don't look at it like that though.

I don't have a any advice but would love to know if you get it, and if you're applying in Sweden? (cos I'm also looking to apply for the longer visa here in Sweden)

Good luck :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.