MyJourney1

Attorney Representation - What Good Is Having One?

52 posts in this topic

Having an attorney for the visa process is like having an attorney for a speeding ticket! The attorney offers you the ability and opportunity to spend 100s, maybe even 1000s of dollars - or, maybe like taking all of this money and setting it on fire to complete a visa process that you and your "significant other" has to provide all the information for! The attorney offers the ability for a 3rd, unnecessary, person to make mistakes on your application process that could add unneeded and lengthy delays to the process. The attorney offers you the ability to spend unnecessary monies oh postage, travel to see the attorney, phone calls, frustration, and many, many other potential problems that you really don't need. But, then again, I didn't have $1800 to set on fire, uh pay an attorney, for my gals K1 visa and we did everything on our own.

That can happen without one too. Like I said if your not paperwork savvy or work 6 to 7 days a week like myself and don't have time then you should hire one. When I decided I was going to marry abroad I didn't do it on shoe string budget, I saved my money and worked 2 jobs. Hiring a lawyer was money well spent. You will get your horror stories from both sides of the coin.

The Buddha said "The more loving the more suffering"

By birth is not one an outcast,

By birth is not one a noble,but

By action is one an outcast,

By action is one a noble.

Buddha.

I know you mean well, but it really comes across as though you are equating love with the willingness to pay for a lawyer. People have a lot of different opinions about the necessity and advisability of legal representation for the K-1 process, and it probably irks you to have paid for a lawyer and then to see people ridiculing this route. That, however, is no reason to imply that those of us who haven't paid for lawyers love our fiance(e)s less than you do or to portray yourself as being superior somehow for having made the choice that you did.

He's not implying anything other than he loves his fiancee and hired a lawyer to play it safe. He's banking on the lawyer will do the paperwork correctly and without error.

Buddha.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

He's not implying anything other than he loves his fiancee and hired a lawyer to play it safe. He's banking on the lawyer will do the paperwork correctly and without error.

I'm not entirely sure what your post accomplishes, exactly, since you were not the one who wrote his post and therefore you have no way of knowing what he was or was not implying, but thanks for attempting to clarify. For that matter, I don't know what he was or wasn't implying, either, but it did not come across well to me.

Joy (& Aaron, who doesn't read/post here yet)

Dec. 27, 2010: First met each other in Entebbe, Uganda while I was visiting my friend/his cousin (12/27/10 - 1/10/11) (visited again Jul. 2-9, 2011 and Dec. 24, 2011 - Jan. 9, 2012; engaged 1/7/12)

K-1

Feb. 18, 2012: I-129F sent (delivered 2/21 per USPS & USCIS; NOA1 notice date 2/23/12; check cashed/email/text 2/24)

Aug. 9, 2012: NOA2!!! [NOA1 +168 days] (reached NVC 8/17, left NVC 8/20; @embassy 8/24; embassy confirmed receipt 9/5)

Oct. 24 - Nov. 8, 2012: I visited again (Nairobi: medical 10/31; interview 11/5 [NOA1 +256 days]; result--APPROVED!!!!!!!)

Nov. 15, 2012: Visa in hand (was ready for retrieval 11/12/12)

Nov. 20, 2012: POE, Boston!!! (legal marriage 12/12/12; family/friends wedding ceremony 1/12/13) (276 days)

AOS/EAD/AP

Feb. 4, 2013: AOS packet sent (delivered 2/6, NOA1 text/email & check cashed 2/11 midnight)

Feb. 11, 2013: NOA1 notice date for I-485, EAD, AP (I-485/EAD NOA1 hard copies & biometrics appt letter arrived 2/16, badly mangled AP NOA1 arrived 2/27; biometrics done 3/4/13)

Apr. 3, 2013: EAD & AP approved (received card 4/11)

Aug. 16, 2013: I-485 approved & green card production ordered!!!! (card arrived 8/26/13) (193 days)

ROC

2015 sometime? I've slept since then.

Naturalization

Dec. 20, 2019: N-400 submitted online (Boston, MA field office)

Jan. 9, 2020: Biometrics

Feb. 4, 2020: updated wait time = 4 months (estimated case completion June 2020)

Aug. 7, 2020: interview scheduled (!), but no idea when

Sept. 16, 2020: interview, Boston (approved)

Sept. 24, 2020: oath ceremony, Boston---DONE!!! (279 days from submission)

230Hm5.pngxrcBm5.png

I'm not entirely sure what your post accomplishes, exactly, since you were not the one who wrote his post and therefore you have no way of knowing what he was or was not implying, but thanks for attempting to clarify. For that matter, I don't know what he was or wasn't implying, either, but it did not come across well to me.

I read the post also and that's what I interpreted. There was nothing from what I read that he was superior to you , me or anyone because he had hired a lawyer.

Edited by Sayha or bust.

Buddha.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

I read the post also and that's what I interpreted. There was nothing from what I read that he was superior to you , me or anyone because he had hired a lawyer.

Good for you! Isn't it amazing how we are all speaking the same language, and yet we can perceive written tone so very differently from each other? It's a big part of what makes online forums so delightful.

Joy (& Aaron, who doesn't read/post here yet)

Dec. 27, 2010: First met each other in Entebbe, Uganda while I was visiting my friend/his cousin (12/27/10 - 1/10/11) (visited again Jul. 2-9, 2011 and Dec. 24, 2011 - Jan. 9, 2012; engaged 1/7/12)

K-1

Feb. 18, 2012: I-129F sent (delivered 2/21 per USPS & USCIS; NOA1 notice date 2/23/12; check cashed/email/text 2/24)

Aug. 9, 2012: NOA2!!! [NOA1 +168 days] (reached NVC 8/17, left NVC 8/20; @embassy 8/24; embassy confirmed receipt 9/5)

Oct. 24 - Nov. 8, 2012: I visited again (Nairobi: medical 10/31; interview 11/5 [NOA1 +256 days]; result--APPROVED!!!!!!!)

Nov. 15, 2012: Visa in hand (was ready for retrieval 11/12/12)

Nov. 20, 2012: POE, Boston!!! (legal marriage 12/12/12; family/friends wedding ceremony 1/12/13) (276 days)

AOS/EAD/AP

Feb. 4, 2013: AOS packet sent (delivered 2/6, NOA1 text/email & check cashed 2/11 midnight)

Feb. 11, 2013: NOA1 notice date for I-485, EAD, AP (I-485/EAD NOA1 hard copies & biometrics appt letter arrived 2/16, badly mangled AP NOA1 arrived 2/27; biometrics done 3/4/13)

Apr. 3, 2013: EAD & AP approved (received card 4/11)

Aug. 16, 2013: I-485 approved & green card production ordered!!!! (card arrived 8/26/13) (193 days)

ROC

2015 sometime? I've slept since then.

Naturalization

Dec. 20, 2019: N-400 submitted online (Boston, MA field office)

Jan. 9, 2020: Biometrics

Feb. 4, 2020: updated wait time = 4 months (estimated case completion June 2020)

Aug. 7, 2020: interview scheduled (!), but no idea when

Sept. 16, 2020: interview, Boston (approved)

Sept. 24, 2020: oath ceremony, Boston---DONE!!! (279 days from submission)

230Hm5.pngxrcBm5.png

Good for you! Isn't it amazing how we are all speaking the same language, and yet we can perceive written tone so very differently from each other? It's a big part of what makes online forums so delightful.

I totally agree with the latter part of your post. God speed with your Visa process and everyone who chooses how to handle their journey.

Buddha.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

:ot: Have a safe trip next week Dan. :ot2:

i will... thank you my friend :)

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.