MyJourney1

Attorney Representation - What Good Is Having One?

52 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline

For K1 VISA -- My fiance and I retained an Attorney (in USA). Yes, he has done a wonderful job with making sure we submit all the proper paperwork and our proofs (photos, airlines, passports photos, phone records, etc.) But now we have not heard from him. Is there anything more he can do for us? Would he be able to prepare us for our Interview? What do we need him for now that we are filed?

hi!we have an

attorney too,but i guess he only help us out with submit the inicial pappers...

we decide to have one cause maybe we are a mess with pappers..haha...but i guess he will be more helpfull once we get married and start all the papper works in usa

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: China
Timeline

We hired him in the beginning of our K-1 VISA Journey. Yes we are filed with (USCIS) and have a case number. Our receipt is dated 12/21/2011. So, what now? What can our Attorney do for us? We submitted all of the basic stuff at this point.

I hope it was not L TODD SHCLOSSER SCAMMER! Does nothing and takes your money! NEVER RETAIN HIM OR HIS FIRM FOR ANYTHING!

Edited by Shenzhen

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Unless you have a red flag issue, I would stop calling him because he might answer your call, and then bill you $200 just to tell you to keep waiting.

What do you call 1,000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean? A good start.

AMEN!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

What do you all mean by "OP" in your statement? :unsure:

OP stands for Original Poster, the one that started the thread and was asking the question.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Hire one if you don't like to do paperwork. Note you still need to gather up evidence for Visa process and then submit to the attorney when they request it. My fiancee was granted a Visa in 10 months had a top notch attorney. Even after I state this it does not mean the process goes faster with attorney.

The Buddha said "The more loving the more suffering"

By birth is not one an outcast,

By birth is not one a noble,but

By action is one an outcast,

By action is one a noble.

Buddha.

For K1 VISA -- My fiance and I retained an Attorney (in USA). Yes, he has done a wonderful job with making sure we submit all the proper paperwork and our proofs (photos, airlines, passports photos, phone records, etc.) But now we have not heard from him. Is there anything more he can do for us? Would he be able to prepare us for our Interview? What do we need him for now that we are filed?

Paid Global Visas $3,500...they helped us complete the I-130 & I-129f application...having them actually stalled time to mail it to USCIS. Now that I have a case number they will not return my calls or reply to my emails. I filed a complaint to the BBB. Attorney representation appears to be a BIG FAT WASTE OF MONEY!!

Paid Global Visas $3,500...they helped us complete the I-130 & I-129f application...having them actually stalled time to mail it to USCIS. Now that I have a case number they will not return my calls or reply to my emails. I filed a complaint to the BBB. Attorney representation appears to be a BIG FAT WASTE OF MONEY!!

That's a lot money. I paid 2,000 to the best Immigration lawyer in Vietnam. I did the k1, and two k2. I could talk to him or his assistant anytime plus they prepped my fiancee 3 weeks before interview.

Edited by Sayha or bust.

The Buddha said "The more loving the more suffering"

By birth is not one an outcast,

By birth is not one a noble,but

By action is one an outcast,

By action is one a noble.

Buddha.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I am not rich but I love my fiance so much that I prefer to play it safe and pay to get all the legal advice and experience possible from someone who has helped hundreds if not thousands of others. So far my lawyer has been very helpful. Remember that even if you pay for a lawyer you must get your self involved in the case as much as your lawyer. Is great that some have the time and feel confident enough to go for it on their own but I would never advice against hiring a lawyer to others. Paying for guidance, legal advice and the assistance to help me bring the love of my life to my country is not a waste of money as apparently it is so to others.

Edited by Jacob and Ngan

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I would read the guides and supplements, that will give you a good idea where you are headed (make sure both of you know the game plan), look at the Nigerian postings on K-1 for up to date stuff. He should assist you in putting together your packets for the embassy and the interview. We also had an attorney for the initial K-1 over my wifes objections, by the way she was right, better to DIY unless you have issues. You will get good advice here although sometimes their are strong opinions. We did our own AOS and will follow that pattern on the 10 year card and citizenship. Welcome to VJ.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Timeline

My husband and I hired an attorney/lawyer for my case when I came from Australia. My husband is a veteran and we tried to get help from JAG but they wouldn't help so we found a good lawyer and she got all our paperwork in order and organised our appointments and interviews all the way to 10 year green card stage. We couldn't have done it without her. Having said all that, however, we are now going to get my citizenship and go through all the naturalization process without any help from a lawyer. I have found in my 10 plus years in the US that acquiring my green card was a much more difficult process than applying for citizenship. In my experience I would say a good lawyer is most helpful for green card work but not necessary for naturalization process as it's much easier. Good luck.

Having an attorney for the visa process is like having an attorney for a speeding ticket! The attorney offers you the ability and opportunity to spend 100s, maybe even 1000s of dollars - or, maybe like taking all of this money and setting it on fire to complete a visa process that you and your "significant other" has to provide all the information for! The attorney offers the ability for a 3rd, unnecessary, person to make mistakes on your application process that could add unneeded and lengthy delays to the process. The attorney offers you the ability to spend unnecessary monies oh postage, travel to see the attorney, phone calls, frustration, and many, many other potential problems that you really don't need. But, then again, I didn't have $1800 to set on fire, uh pay an attorney, for my gals K1 visa and we did everything on our own.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

I am not rich but I love my fiance so much that I prefer to play it safe and pay to get all the legal advice and experience possible from someone who has helped hundreds if not thousands of others. So far my lawyer has been very helpful. Remember that even if you pay for a lawyer you must get your self involved in the case as much as your lawyer. Is great that some have the time and feel confident enough to go for it on their own but I would never advice against hiring a lawyer to others. Paying for guidance, legal advice and the assistance to help me bring the love of my life to my country is not a waste of money as apparently it is so to others.

I know you mean well, but it really comes across as though you are equating love with the willingness to pay for a lawyer. People have a lot of different opinions about the necessity and advisability of legal representation for the K-1 process, and it probably irks you to have paid for a lawyer and then to see people ridiculing this route. That, however, is no reason to imply that those of us who haven't paid for lawyers love our fiance(e)s less than you do or to portray yourself as being superior somehow for having made the choice that you did.

Joy (& Aaron, who doesn't read/post here yet)

Dec. 27, 2010: First met each other in Entebbe, Uganda while I was visiting my friend/his cousin (12/27/10 - 1/10/11) (visited again Jul. 2-9, 2011 and Dec. 24, 2011 - Jan. 9, 2012; engaged 1/7/12)

K-1

Feb. 18, 2012: I-129F sent (delivered 2/21 per USPS & USCIS; NOA1 notice date 2/23/12; check cashed/email/text 2/24)

Aug. 9, 2012: NOA2!!! [NOA1 +168 days] (reached NVC 8/17, left NVC 8/20; @embassy 8/24; embassy confirmed receipt 9/5)

Oct. 24 - Nov. 8, 2012: I visited again (Nairobi: medical 10/31; interview 11/5 [NOA1 +256 days]; result--APPROVED!!!!!!!)

Nov. 15, 2012: Visa in hand (was ready for retrieval 11/12/12)

Nov. 20, 2012: POE, Boston!!! (legal marriage 12/12/12; family/friends wedding ceremony 1/12/13) (276 days)

AOS/EAD/AP

Feb. 4, 2013: AOS packet sent (delivered 2/6, NOA1 text/email & check cashed 2/11 midnight)

Feb. 11, 2013: NOA1 notice date for I-485, EAD, AP (I-485/EAD NOA1 hard copies & biometrics appt letter arrived 2/16, badly mangled AP NOA1 arrived 2/27; biometrics done 3/4/13)

Apr. 3, 2013: EAD & AP approved (received card 4/11)

Aug. 16, 2013: I-485 approved & green card production ordered!!!! (card arrived 8/26/13) (193 days)

ROC

2015 sometime? I've slept since then.

Naturalization

Dec. 20, 2019: N-400 submitted online (Boston, MA field office)

Jan. 9, 2020: Biometrics

Feb. 4, 2020: updated wait time = 4 months (estimated case completion June 2020)

Aug. 7, 2020: interview scheduled (!), but no idea when

Sept. 16, 2020: interview, Boston (approved)

Sept. 24, 2020: oath ceremony, Boston---DONE!!! (279 days from submission)

230Hm5.pngxrcBm5.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have been dealing with an excellent immigration attorney for years. He is from the Detroit area. I would trust him if I absolutely needed a top notch lawyer. But in cases that are simple and straight forward, their is no need for any attorney. Of course, we all have the right to waste our money. This attorney went from a small three room office to where he has 7 partners working on an entire floor of a large office building in Farmington Hills, Michigan. George Mann ESQ. Good luck in your journey to be with your loved one!!!

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The Visa Petition journey is such a hands on experience with or without an attorney. Even if I had hired an attorney (did consult with one for free and got alot of good information and tips) I would still be sitting in front of this computer looking at everything, waiting, looking up my case number. I think for many having an attorney does give comfort and we would like to believe these attorneys know their "stuff". But too many are about the money and have no clue about the specifics of each and every embassy and that is so key. An immigration lawyer title doesn't mean they know Lagos Embassy, Pakistani, or Dominican Republic (to name some of the tough ones).

And a attorney sure doesn't constitute that love abounds more than those of us who do it alone. But I will say not knowing there's a Visa Journey this task can seem daunting, so for that I can understand those who rather go the lawyer route.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.