MyJourney1

Attorney Representation - What Good Is Having One?

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I agree with Senor TBone. Who knows how the OP's case looks? It could look like Mao's tomb at Tienanmen.

From what I've heard about the consulate in Lagos a lawyer may be good to have on speed dial; as long as they know what they are doing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
:thumbs: :thumbs: i totally agree with you on this but the fact that the OP is basically asking "what next" tells me that even if an attorney is needed in this case then this probably isnt the best attorney to have
Thank you, si man, and perhaps you're right. However, the OP is dealing with Lagos, and says that the attorney made sure that "phone records, etc." were included (these are not normally part of an I-129F petition), so it could also be -- pending confirmation from the OP -- that the attorney is familiar with the unique dealings necessary for visa approval in Lagos.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

If a case has red flags, a GOOD family-based-immigration attorney can be very well worth the investment. To flatly say "You do not need an attorney" is something that NOBODY here can state with any assurance, without knowing every intricacy of another couple's situation.

+1 si man,

If you have a straight forward case with very minor to no issues, an attorney might not be the best route to go, for the petetion, it's pretty easy to follow the guides and be successful. When I got back from our wedding in Malaysia, I was as lost as a blind man in a dark room trying to find a black cat that wasn't there. One of the men from our Mosque gave me the number to his immigration attorney. He wanted to charge two thousand dollars as a start, and other charges as it went forward. I'm glad that I filed by myself. The people on here are very well versed, ask and you shall recieve...

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

However, the OP is dealing with Lagos, and says that the attorney made sure that "phone records, etc." were included (these are not normally part of an I-129F petition), so it could also be -- pending confirmation from the OP -- that the attorney is familiar with the unique dealings necessary for visa approval in Lagos.

now that is a good point and i certainly hope that is the case... it would be good to see that there are some decent attorneys out there that know how to deal with the more difficult consulates around the world :thumbs:

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

now that is a good point and i certainly hope that is the case... it would be good to see that there are some decent attorneys out there that know how to deal with the more difficult consulates around the world :thumbs:

:ot: Have a safe trip next week Dan. :ot2:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I think at this point all you can do it wait there is nothing further your attorney can do for u...you wait on NOA2 and to be honest only you and your fiance can prepare yourselves for the interview if I were you I would go to the nigerian portal and read past interview reviews they can help a lot. You attorney will not be at the interview only your fiance so it is better he make sure he is well prepared.... :thumbs:

November 5, 2010 Interview 7am APPROVED!!!!!! (6months 4weeks 1day) THANK YOU LORD!!!!!

(look at my about me page in my profile if you want to see my entire k1 journey)

AOS Journey:

Feb.4, 2011 Mailed AOS packet

Feb. 7, 2011 Pkt delivered in Chicago

Feb. 10, 2011 Received txt and email of NOA for AOS, EAD, and AP

Feb. 11, 2011 Check cashed for AOS

Feb. 12, 2011 Touched

Feb. 14, 2011 received hard copy of NOA for AOS, EAD& AP

Feb. 18, 2011 received appt letter for biometrics

Feb. 28, 2011 biometrics appt @10am

Feb. 28, 2011 received txt/email AOS case transferred to csc

Mar 1, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 3, 2011 received hard copy of AOS transfer to csc

Mar 4, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 28, 2011 Received txt/email saying card production has been ordered. (1month 3eeks 3days)

Mar 28, 2011 Received 2nd txt/email saying we have registered this customer permanent residence status

Mar 29, 2011 Received 3rd txt/email says card production has been ordered.

April 1, 2011 greencard and welcome letter in hand!!

April 5, 2011 received txt/email EAD card production ordered

Will Start Removing Conditions Dec 2012!!!!

Dec. 26, 2012 mailed ROC paperwork

Dec. 28, 2012 NOA for ROC paperwork

Jan. 7, 2013 received bio appt letter

Jan. 24, 2013 bio appt.

June 22, 2013 10yr green card received

68z00wwuiyl.png

Filed: Other Timeline

Welcome to the pack. I think most of us figure out that attorneys were never needed.

Thank you! ;)

I think at this point all you can do it wait there is nothing further your attorney can do for u...you wait on NOA2 and to be honest only you and your fiance can prepare yourselves for the interview if I were you I would go to the nigerian portal and read past interview reviews they can help a lot. You attorney will not be at the interview only your fiance so it is better he make sure he is well prepared.... :thumbs:

Okay; Thanks! :)

What do you all mean by "OP" in your statement? :unsure:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

:thumbs: :thumbs: i totally agree with you on this but the fact that the OP is basically asking "what next" tells me that even if an attorney is needed in this case then this probably isnt the best attorney to have

So true Dan & Jenni. Your attorney is the one who should be preparing you for Embassy specific questions. In Lagos the interview is like no other. In your other post you asked whats next how to prepare for interview what to look for . I will post again the big ticket items for Nigeria that has been told. Be sure to go through the Nigerian Consulate review s of individuals interviews. I spent all this weekend doing just that and cutting and pasting all questions.

Here's my post again.

The evidence is all couple specific to embassy. Since Nigeria is the visa fraud capital we are all under a BIG microscope. They already are looking at our relationships/marriages as shams to get a visa so we have to show evidence to the contrary. Now be sure to address your red flags if you have any. Listed are a few. If you have these just be able to address them honestly and have proof, evidence to quash it. To raise no doubt what so ever.

1. Significant age difference.

2. Relationships which are less than 1 year old.

3. Discrepencies between the information provide in the forms and that obtained during the interview.

4. Failure of the applicant to demonstrate knowledge of basic information about the petitioner.

5. Recent divorce.

6. infrequent visits

7. Not staying long on visits

8. Marrying first visit than living

9. Not wanting kids.

10. religious difference

Just to name a few

Edited by dwheels76

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Timeline

we didnt need an attorney- there is really nothing they can do unless you have a complicated case and need help navigating the laws. We took the time to do everything by ourselves and saved a ton of money (the attorneys I spoke to originally were mad expensive for what we did on our own). You can prep for the interview on your own - VJ is a fantastic source.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Unless you have a red flag issue, I would stop calling him because he might answer your call, and then bill you $200 just to tell you to keep waiting.

What do you call 1,000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean? A good start.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

:thumbs:

They are useless they just take your money. They don't have any impact on your case or outcome.

You took the words out of my mouth!

jin5xmldq.png

09/23/2010- Met online

12/23/2010- Met in person in Kenya

02/01/2011- Visited him in China

02/14/2011- He proposed while I was in China

07/09/2011- Moved to China to be with him

12/19/2011- Went to US to meet his family

01/08/2012- Went back to China with him

02/29/2012- Went back to Kenya to await fiancee visa :-(

02/07/2012: I-129F Sent

02/10/2012: USCIS received I-129F

02/10/2012: NOA1 date

02/15/2012: Touched

02/22/2012: NOA1 received in mail

05/05/2012: Broke up :(

Based on timeline data, your I129f may be adjudicated between July 6, 2012 and July 9, 2012*.

"Where there is faith

There is a voice calling, keep walking

You’re not alone in this world

Where there is faith

There is a peace like a child sleeping

Hope everlasting in He who is able...

It is a wonderful, powerful place

Where there is faith" 4Him

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

We found it great to have a lawyer (only if you find a good one!) because we both have busy schedules, and them preparing the paper work and stuff just took off a huge workload for us. The work load that comes with preparing for a K1 can do two things in my opinion, bring a couple closer, or cause stress. It really depends on the individuals and their schedule. So for us, it was really worthwhile, their fee was fair. Their service was the best ive dealt with from lawyers in general and immigrations lawyers especially I used 2 in the past, 1 trough J1 and one for extension, both where very expensive and very rude.

The guy we used this time, very friendly, very efficient both him and his staff. And today when I left interview within a couple of hours both him and staff members emailed me separately to see how i got on.

He came highly recommended from friends of my fiancee as he is used a lot in the industry she works in. If anyone wishes to know his contact info, pm me. But himself and his team were very efficient and thorough in their work.

So as many said it doesnt do anything in terms of how it looks, but depending on the individual you could need one for many reasons, my reason is an example thats a lot less worrying than other reasons you may need one, but hey, everyone and their schedules are different!

:)

• I-129F Sent : 2011-09-15
  • I-129F Delivered:At 5:48 am on September 17, 2011 in DALLAS, TX 75266.
  • NOA1 Received: 2011-09-21
  • NOA2 Received: 2012-02-2
  • NVC Received: 2012-02-13
  • Packet 3 Received: 2012-2-28
  • Packet 3 Mailed to embassy: 2012-03-07
  • Packet4 Received: 2012-03-12
  • Interview Date: 2012-03-26
  • Interview Result: APPROVED!!
  • POE: Dublin: 2012-04-26
  •  
  • AOS Sent: 2012-07-20
  • EAD & AP Card received: 2012-11-05
  • AOS Approved: 2013-04-19
  • Conditional Green Card Received: 2013-04-27
  •  
  • I-751 Sent: 2015-02-17
  • NOA1 Received: 2015-02-18
  • RFE: 2015-09-16
  • Biometrics: 2015-04-02
  • Interview: N/A
  • Approval Date: 2015-10-15
  • Green Card Received: 2015-10-22
  •  
  • N-400 Submitted to USCIS: 2018-07-25
  • Interview Date: 2019-07-22
  • Interview Result: APPROVED!!
  • Oath Ceremony: 2019-08-22
  •  
  • US CITIZEN!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I'm really happy we got a lawyer, my husband is totally not organised and I would probably end up with an ulser if I was gonna rely on him getting all the paperwork done!

But we have an awesome lawyer who really knows what she's doing, she's not sitting around waiting for official emails she's one step ahead all the time. I say it's money well spent!

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I used an attorney. I could have done it on my own, but I hired him before I found VJ. I won't say it was a waste of money (for me personally) but they did have access to a lot of things that I didn't know. On the downside... They are very secretive about what we need to be prepared for immediately after NOA2. Thank God for VJ. I have already began to get everything in order. I like my attorney, but I honestly feel like I could have do e things a bit more efficiently myself. IMO.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.