xtianj

being out of status similar to being an illegal immigrant?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I entered in the US via K1. We just filed aos this Feb 2012. I am now starting to look for job vacancies available in our area that I might qualify to apply. One job requires certain days of legal permanent residency. My question is, am I considered an illegal immigrant until my AOS is approved? I wonder how ead comes into play in this scenario (the legal residency thing). It just authorizes me to work but doesnt mean I am a legal resident?

POE - 11/05/09

Wedding - 01/19/10

AOS Sent - 02/08/12

NOA1 - 02/15/12

Case transferred to CSC - 03/18/12

Biometrics - 03/21/12

EAD card production - 04/04/12

EAD Card Received - 04/13/12

AOS Approval - card mailed 08/29/12

GC Received - 09/01/12

Thank you, Lord!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I entered in the US via K1. We just filed aos this Feb 2012. I am now starting to look for job vacancies available in our area that I might qualify to apply. One job requires certain days of legal permanent residency. My question is, am I considered an illegal immigrant until my AOS is approved? I wonder how ead comes into play in this scenario (the legal residency thing). It just authorizes me to work but doesnt mean I am a legal resident?

No you are not an illegal immigrant. You entered on a K-1 visa you entered the USA legally.

You are in a period of authorized stay because you have an AOS petition in process, until you get an EAD and AP you cannot work or travel outside of the USA.

EAD is not a "legal residency thing". It is an Employment Authorization Document. Which allows you to work legally while you wait for your CPR ( conditional permanent resident ) status.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

You are in a new period of authorized stay while your AOS is being adjudicated. You are not illegal. If you have your EAD, then you can work. A job listing stipulated that you must have been a resident for a certain amount of says? That seems illegal.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Illegal immigrant = undocumented

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

No you are not an illegal immigrant. You entered on a K-1 visa you entered the USA legally.

You are in a period of authorized stay because you have an AOS petition in process, until you get an EAD and AP you cannot work or travel outside of the USA.

EAD is not a "legal residency thing". It is an Employment Authorization Document. Which allows you to work legally while you wait for your CPR ( conditional permanent resident ) status.

Thanks for the reply. The thing is, I applied for a civil service exam and one of the requirements is 30 days legal permanent residency of the city preceding the exam date. I was hoping Id receive the ead 30 days before the exam but I guess ead wont satisfy that requirement. Ive seen a GC sample and it indicates the date the holder becomes a legal permanent resident. If they will allow me to take the exam, id still give it a try though. :-)

POE - 11/05/09

Wedding - 01/19/10

AOS Sent - 02/08/12

NOA1 - 02/15/12

Biometrics - 03/21/12

GC Received - 09/01/12

Thank you, Lord!

Timeline

You are in a new period of authorized stay while your AOS is being adjudicated. You are not illegal. If you have your EAD, then you can work. A job listing stipulated that you must have been a resident for a certain amount of says? That seems illegal.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking having EAD makes me a legal permanent resident. No, its not illegal. I applied for a civil service exam. :-)

POE - 11/05/09

Wedding - 01/19/10

AOS Sent - 02/08/12

NOA1 - 02/15/12

Biometrics - 03/21/12

GC Received - 09/01/12

Thank you, Lord!

Timeline

Illegal immigrant = undocumented

I thought I was "undocumented" after my I-94 expired untill we filed for AOS. :-)

POE - 11/05/09

Wedding - 01/19/10

AOS Sent - 02/08/12

NOA1 - 02/15/12

Biometrics - 03/21/12

GC Received - 09/01/12

Thank you, Lord!

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking having EAD makes me a legal permanent resident. No, its not illegal. I applied for a civil service exam. :-)

Your EAD does NOT make you a permanent resident. It makes you eligible to work while your status is pending. You are not eligible for the exam.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Your EAD does NOT make you a permanent resident. It makes you eligible to work while your status is pending. You are not eligible for the exam.

You are right, like I said, ead wont satisfy that requirement.

POE - 11/05/09

Wedding - 01/19/10

AOS Sent - 02/08/12

NOA1 - 02/15/12

Biometrics - 03/21/12

GC Received - 09/01/12

Thank you, Lord!

Filed: Country:
Timeline
I thought I was "undocumented" after my I-94 expired untill we filed for AOS. :-)

Nope, undocumented means they don't have a record of your entry into the US. This could be because you sneaked across the border bypassing Entry points or you entered the US with someone else's documents.

You are documented but were out of status. Currently you are (as others have said) in an authorized period of stay as you await adjudication of your application.

Thanks for the reply. The thing is, I applied for a civil service exam and one of the requirements is 30 days legal permanent residency of the city preceding the exam date. I was hoping Id receive the ead 30 days before the exam but I guess ead wont satisfy that requirement. Ive seen a GC sample and it indicates the date the holder becomes a legal permanent resident. If they will allow me to take the exam, id still give it a try though. :-)

That is a different 'residency' requirement that can be proved with a utility bill older than 30 days. Most likely they want to see a driver's license with an address in that city that is at least 30 days old.

Timeline
That is a different 'residency' requirement that can be proved with a utility bill older than 30 days. Most likely they want to see a driver's license with an address in that city that is at least 30 days old.

Actually it would be best to confirm with the potential employer's HR department what they mean. That phrase is very ambiguous.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

The OP is asking about applying for a civil service position. Typically these are positions in the city/state government, ranging from administration positions to police to sanitation to just about anything. Many times they require you are a "resident" in the town offering the position. You can be an illegal alien and still be a resident of the town ( but I would not go about applying for civil service job if I was illegal !). So if the OP was living in this town for the past 30 days AND the application does not SPECIFICALLY ask if you have the right to work,then the OP CAN apply for the test. It can take many weeks, often months, to schedule the exam, gather the results, put up a listing of grades and then choose candidates to do interviews. If the OP has the EAD by the time the interview takes place ( and is selected), then the OP is eligible to do this job.

Timeline
The OP is asking about applying for a civil service position. Typically these are positions in the city/state government, ranging from administration positions to police to sanitation to just about anything. Many times they require you are a "resident" in the town offering the position. You can be an illegal alien and still be a resident of the town ( but I would not go about applying for civil service job if I was illegal !). So if the OP was living in this town for the past 30 days AND the application does not SPECIFICALLY ask if you have the right to work,then the OP CAN apply for the test. It can take many weeks, often months, to schedule the exam, gather the results, put up a listing of grades and then choose candidates to do interviews. If the OP has the EAD by the time the interview takes place ( and is selected), then the OP is eligible to do this job.

That depends on exactly what they mean by "Legal Permanent Residency of the City", Residency and "Legal Residency" are not necessarily the same thing hence my suggestion the OP ask for clarification.

That depends on exactly what they mean by "Legal Permanent Residency of the City", Residency and "Legal Residency" are not necessarily the same thing hence my suggestion the OP ask for clarification.

Not quite sure where the ambiguity is... it says Legal 'PERMANENT' resident. The city should be well aware that with conditional residency there is a possibility the person may NOT get permanent residency so they would have spent money to test this person, employed them, only to find they lose a staff member to immigration red tape. Not good business sense. However, you have nothing to lose by calling for clarification, you never know you might catch someone on a good day and they go ahead anyway.

03/05/12 (Day 01) Sent package

03/08/12 (Day 03) Package received

03/16/12 (Day 11) Bio Appt recieved

03/17/12 (Day 12) NOA received

03/19/12 (Day 14) Early Bio walk in

03/26/12 (Day 21) RFE notification

03/28/12 (Day 23) RFE returned

04/09/12 (Day 36) Original Bio date

04/20/12 (Day 47) Interview Appt recieved

05/03/12 (Day 60) EAD Approved

05/08/12 (Day 65) 2nd Approval

05/09/12 (Day 66) EAD Mailed

05/10/12 (Day 67) USPS picked up card

05/11/12 (Day 68) EAD in hand

05/23/12 (Day 79) Interview

ticker.png

ticker.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.