six7one

First Trip to Fiancee's Province

20 posts in this topic

I'm a believer in meeting the family, that's for sure. There's lots of transportation options.

I commission cabs sometimes out of the regional airports. If you walk outside there will often be a group of cabs and you can announce where you are going and take the best offer. You can't quite do that at the International airport, but if you are brave enough you can go a little off-airport and make a deal with one of them for a charter.

I've rented or hired cars, multicabs, off-duty jeepneys, motorcycles - and done buses too, but its my last choice! Top choice is a room on one of the ferries if that's an option. A state room has the highest nookie time coefficient. Plus you get to walk around on the deck. There will be a restaurant. Remember not to toss coins to the boys swimming out and diving for them at the side of the ship. :innocent:

I'm a little adventurous myself and that's why I took the bus. Not sure if I'll get a chance to do the ferry because Bicol is still on Luzon, but I will surely consider it given the opportunity. I've considered flying to Naga and doing the bus/cab thing, but for the price and experience, the bus was a great adventure.

01/12/2013: POE
02/14/2013: MARRIED ON VALENTINE'S DAY!
03/18/2013: AOS Sent via USPS Express Mail
03/28/2013: NOA - AOS, AP, EAD
04/25/2013: Biometrics

05/28/2013: RFEs for EADs and APs

06/17/2013: AOS Interviews. Approved

06/26/2013: Green Cards Received! (APs and EAD also received but not needed)

Removal of Conditions

===================================

03/25/2015: Mailed I-751

04/06/2015: NOA1

05/05/2015: Biometrics

07/27/2015: RFE

09/07/2015: RFE Response - Additional Evidence Sent

11/19/2015: Interview - APPROVED!

12/15/2016: Green Cards Issued!

Filed: Timeline

I just wanted to share my experience with you all. I just returned home from a week long trip to the PI. My Fiancee met me in Manila and we then journeyed 9 hours from Manila to her Province in Bicol by bus. Spent 4 days there meeting her parents and family, sought their blessings, bonded with relatives, and just to take in the experience of her home. Being outside of Metro Manila was also a change of pace I really enjoyed. Great trip. Wonderful family as I expected, Fantastic food, and memories for a lifetime.

Thanks for all the advice I got here on VJ prior to my trip. The Pasalubong ideas were great, even though the extra suitcase fee cost me more than some of the gifts I brought. Damn airline merger (talking about the largest airline in the world based in Chicago). Anyway, here's what I learned that might help you...

• Long bus rides generally don't make many stops for CR
  • Bring 5 Peso coins with you for the use of CRs at the Sari Saris you do stop for
  • Towns in the Provinces are generally cash only with few ATMs (if any)
  • Chocolates are always appreciated. Hard candies for kids
  • Little to no water pressure can be expected. Shower with a pail is often the means or pumping your own water
  • Do not refuse food offered and never show you don't like what you've just tried
  • Trikes are small! At 5'10" I could barely fit in the side car
  • Power/Water outages are not uncommon
  • Have a night out or two with Titas and Titos and foot the bills

Most of all...

• Be courteous and respectful
  • Don't act like the foreigner who's there to own the town
  • Talk and plan things through with your Fiancee to see if your intended actions are acceptable
  • Don't go around flaunting you have money. It's disrespectful and could probably get you into trouble quick

For those of you VJers who have not visited their Fiance(e)'s province/home town, you are missing out on the opportunity for the family to meet you and get to know you. Most especially it gives them an opportunity to ask questions to you and for them to understand the whole K1/K2 Visa process. I had the impression that my fiancee's family thought she would never return home to the Philippines (which I dispelled). Going there was a win win situation and it turned out to be fantastic. I really want to go back again soon. That's how much I enjoyed it.

VERY important for foreigners. Be as ragged as you could be as there is an impression that foreigners in general have much money. Dun wanna get pickpocketed or worse "cease to exist"

Chocolates and candies are really a big thing in the Philippines. It's considered "expensive" there especially US-made chocolates and candies.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Had some sad faces the other day when we were in Makati as "someone" tried to find the big bags of M&Ms I brought with me, no such luck... no COSTCO here ... :rofl:

I brought almost 10 lbs of candy but with 4 nephews and a niece, along with the rest of the family, candy doesn't last too long. Okay maybe I helped eat it too... :whistle:

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

@Hank_Amy - haha that's funny! The first time I went to see my wife (then fiancee), I asked if she wanted me to bring her anything. I expected her to ask for perfume, makeup, or clothes, but no...it was Hershey's Kisses and Hershey's Nuggets! I also bought a big bag of 300 lollipops. When I got there I got the candy out from my suitcase. My wife immediately took the chocolate and hid it in her freezer and said the kids could have the lollipops :lol: I now realize my Grandpa was telling the truth when he talked about giving chocolates to impress the girls overseas in WWII...Good job Grandpa :thumbs:

Edited by Mark&Fatima

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.