16 posts in this topic

We're in the same boat. My husband came to the US on the K-1 visa back in August of 2011. We filed for AOS in December (late) because I didn't have the money to file. Now we're at day 89 waiting for the EAD and still no green card either. It has been rough. He is a man used to working and paying for everything and it has been a major change for him. He gets frustrated and says things like he threw away his life which of course doesn't make me feel very good. Sometimes I wonder if the people doing the paperwork think about how their work really does affect people's lives. This process is not for the faint of heart and I commend you for making that decision out of love. I think there is this idea (we've encountered it) that since you are coming here you should be grateful for receiving what you do from the US govt. but really most people saying that don't know what this is like. When I did paperwork to stay in Ecuador when I lived there, I had to do some similar things, but when something didn't go right, you could complain (read: rip them a new one) and they would push things through. Here you wouldn't dream of doing that and although it may not be the right way to do it, sometimes I wish we could because at least you release the stress :) So keep strong like you have and soon things should work out. Applying for jobs is a numbers game... keep firing out the resume and applications. You'll get one. You're running a marathon here and you're at mile 25. Don't let the last mile or so kick your a$! And don't let anyone make you feel like you aren't a champion for doing it all. Your wife thanks you and the people of VJ are behind you. We know, we've been there too!

Thank you so much, it's great to hear I'm not the only one but I wish all of our situations were in better standing. Looking at when my case was transferred if they don't start working on it until they receive it plus 5 months it could be June until this part of the journey is complete. I'm prepared for that and until then I'll keep searching for work.

I completely agree with what you said, it's one of the things I miss about home, being able to speak your mind and have someone actually listen get some sort of result!

K-1 Visa Process

2/3 Petitioned K-1 Visa I-129F I-134 G-325A x2 E-1145 & supporting evidence + $350 to VT

9/3 Petition Approved

29/6 Case now in the hands of local consulate

28/7 Filed DS-230 DS-156 x2 DS-157 x2 DS-156k DS-2001 & supporting evidence to London

22/8 K-1 Interview scheduled! Setup medical appointment

10/9 Medical examination in London + $350

14/9 Medical results sent to US Embassy London

26/9 Attended K-1 Approval Interview in London

7/10 Passport/Visa!!! BOOKED FLIGHT!

Adjustment of Status

11/7 Vaccination records with I-693 paid $50

11/18 Filed AOS I-458 I-765 I-864 I-864A I-693 G-325A E-1145 & supporting evidence + $1070 to Chicago

12/7 Emailed with case numbers and delivery date for I-797C

12/10 NOA1 Physical copy I-797C for EAD & I-485 received

12/15 Biometrics Appointment letter received appointment scheduled

12/24 RFE for AOS: More tax return information

12/27 IRS Transcripts ordered

1/6 Biometrics appointment in ATL

1/17 Received Transcripts

1/19 Transcripts sent to MO

1/27 RFE accepted, case transferred to CSC

1/30 EAD moved into production

2/6 EAD arrives applied for SSN number

2/13 SSN number arrives

5/16 GC moved into production!

5/22 GC arrived Valid from 5-12-12

Removal of Conditions

22/4 overnighted ROC I-751 + $590

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.