ahkhan99

How does USCIS keep track of people leaving the country?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Hi,

I have a curious question. How does USCIS know when you leave the country if are a permanent resident or a citizen? There is no I-94 card. So how do they know when someone leaves? There is no immigration when exiting the country. Anyone have any idea?

Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Airlines are required to report their seated passengers. One person was denied AOS because the airline reported he used the return ticket . He had purchased a Rt because it was cheaper and forgot to cancel.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

When I last left the U.S., I had to swipe my Green Card at Delta's computerized check in machine.

Not sure if that's standard, but that's what happened flying Delta out of Denver.

Edited by N M

11-24-2006 Annette and I meet in Rome

09-09-2008 Engaged!

01-30-2009 Fiance petition filed

03-22-2009 Fiance petition approved. Case moves to U.S. embassy in London

04-01-2009 Package received from U.S. embassy in London

06-01-2009 Visa Medical (London)

06-23-2009 K1 Visa Interview (London)

06-27-2009 Passport returned by embassy. K1 Visa received!!

07-04-2009 Fly to Denver (port of entry - Houston, TX)

07-25-2009 We are married (the joint happiest day of my life)

08-07-2009 Social Security number obtained

08-20-2009 AOS, Advanced Parole and Employment Authorization forms filed

09-24-2009 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

10-05-2009 Advanced Parole received

10-09-2009 Employment Authorization received

10-13-2009 Colorado Learner's permit obtained and driving test scheduled

10-21-2009 Driving test taken and passed

11-30-2009 Green Card Interview (Centennial, CO)

12-08-2009 Green Card received

01-04-2010 Employed

01-28-2011 Our daughter is born (the other happiest day of my life)!

11-21-2011 Filed for Removal of Conditions

12-28-2011 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

03-16-2012 Card production ordered

03-23-2012 Card received

09-04-2012 Application for Naturalization filed

10-05-2012 Biometrics appointment (Aurora, CO)

12-11-2012 Naturalization Interview (Centennial, CO)

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

Airlines are required to report their seated passengers. One person was denied AOS because the airline reported he used the return ticket . He had purchased a Rt because it was cheaper and forgot to cancel.

Yes big brother keep records of exits and entry's especially so in the post 9/11 era.

--------------------------------K-1----------------------------
October 1, 2011 Mailed I-129F Application
October 7, 20122 Notice Date of NOA 1
February 15, 2012 Received Hard Copy of Approved NOA 2
March 8, 2012 Rec email Pacs 3/4 US Embassy in Bogota
March 29, 2012 Scheduled Interview
June 7, 2012 Interview APPROVED!

------------------------------Arrival @ LAX-----------------------------
July 27, 2012 Arrived POE @ LAX
October 21, 2012 Married (L) (L)

------------------------------AOS----------------------------------
April 20, 2013 Mailed AOS package

April 29, 2013 AOS NOA

May 22, 2013 Biometric date

June 7, 2013 NOA, rec. interview date for 7-16-13

June 18, 2013 EAD/AP Approved

June 29, 2013 Rec. in mail EAD/AP combo card

July 8, 2013 AOS process on HOLD, interview canceled unsure.png as wife returned to Colombia on medical emergency!

Oct. 17, 2013 AOS Interview re-schedule to November 20, 2013

Nov. 1, 2013 Rec. Notice from USCIS that 11-20-13 interview "due to unforseen circumstances" has been CANCELED. girlwerewolf2xn.gif

December 18, 2013 Rec. notice that AOS interview has been re-scheduled for January 17, 2014 (we will see)

January 17, 2014 Interview and AOS was APPROVED! dancin5hr.gif

January 27, 2014 Received GREEN CARD in mail! kicking.gif

-----------------------ROC----------------------

December 23, 2015 ROC Mailed I-751 to CSC

December 30, 2015 ROC NOA1

January 25, 2016 ROC Bio appointment

May 26, 2016 Approved!

June 4, 2016 - Received 10-year PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD in mail! :thumbs:

-----------------------CITIZENSHIP------------------

November 16, 2016 Mailed

November 19, 2016 NOA date

December 13, 2016 Biometrics

Timeline

I don't if there is any set process. Might depend on the immigration officer. I know of people who never had to show any green card or anything when leaving the country. I know of people on green card who have stayed out of the country for a couple of year and came back without much hassle. All the officer asks, is how long have you away. They usually answer like a couple of weeks or a month, or whatever. They are let in. Also wondering how RT would make any difference? Just cause you have a return ticket, if you are not on the flight, you are not on it. Airlines have to report, who is actually on the plane. You would have to check in to be in their system for a flight. So that doesn't make sense. Also yes, I think Big Brother knows everything...but my question is how, not if they do or not. I wonder if there are any lawyers on the forum who actually knows?

Thanks to all who replied.

Everytime a person leaves the country and come back the immigration officer at the airport swipe the green card and the computer show everything! So they do know how long u have been out of the country.. I know!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Everytime a person leaves the country and come back the immigration officer at the airport swipe the green card and the computer show everything! So they do know how long u have been out of the country.. I know!

:thumbs:

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Timeline

I have travelled a couple of times and I have never been asked to swipe my green card. Just saying, may not be consistent.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
I have travelled a couple of times and I have never been asked to swipe my green card. Just saying, may not be consistent.

You have a passport. They can check your passport info as well (though I haven't heard this very often it's a method to track you). Why are you asking? Are you hoping they don't know about a certain visit?

I've never been asked to "swipe" my GC but they did take my GC info when I boarded the plane to make sure I didn't need a visa. So it'll be related to that.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Just to add to this reply, US couldn't care less when you leave the country and therefore won't stop you unless you owe child support or you're wanted for a crime(please correct me if it's not precise). They care about letting you back into the country.

Sometimes, the airline company's passenger lists aren't updated, and when somebody else gets to use your ticket and you haven't cancelled, then USCIS will base their decision on their findings.

For people having been out of the country for years and entering on a greencard. Well, by the time they apply for citizenship, I hope there's no record of them lying to CBP, or they'll get flat out denied. Remember that there's no limitation to having a greencard/citizenship revoked.

To sum it up; don't believe for one second that you're not monitored when boarding a plane/having reserved tickets in your name. Most people simply have no reason to look into it or be concerned because they're not going through an immigration process.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

They don't care when u leave like u said. They care when u come back but that's what I meant. When u are coming back they do swipe ur green card or US passport. It is very unusual that they didn't swipe ur green card cuz that is like default! Green card and passport is the two things u give to the officer when u come back from an international flight plus the blue form... And they check those papers and check ur info in the computer..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Back then, wife and I were very careful in watching those dates on her I-94, was applying for immigration and just knew she would be checked. Before that I-94 expired, she had to go back. But did read that over 85% of the illegals here, I don't know where they get these numbers, are here with overstayed visas.

So, I am gathering if you have no intentions of staying here legally, you are okay, otherwise they wouldn't say there is roughly over 9 million people here, illegally, with overstayed visas. But if you do apply for legal immigration, that is when you will have major problems.

Time outside of the country was never an issue with the I-751 ROC stage, never asked, so if you have overstayed, shouldn't be a problem, as long as you can get back in. But sure checked on those dates for naturalization. Staying just one out can lead you to major problems.

When we were approved during our AOS, had a nice woman, after we went through all that, she said their card will only be good for two years, What! What do we do next, she said you have to file a I-751, wrote that down. Then I asked about naturalization, she said, three years and the N-400, wrote that down too. Next day found and downloaded those forms, wow, we have to not only gather evidence, a lot of it, but keep records on employment, moving, and trips.

Many people come to this board and ask how are they suppose to remember all this stuff, USCIS could give you a piece of paper telling you about your future. In many cases, don't even tell you about selective service registration. That is when you quickly learn, AOS is just the start, but then you think its all over.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Last time we visited the US together, my husband (the USC) got his passport swiped at boarding just like everyone else. With optical readable passport they just need one swipe and one second to record your exit.

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
EMBASSY STAGE
03/27/12: interview - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
12/19/14: received reminder letter from USCIS to file for ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

Filed: Timeline

Your data is recorded (swiped) every time you exit and every time you enter. If you take a cruise or a flight, you either enter the information online pre-flight/cruise, or they gather it at the check-in process. The first point of contact at re-entry will determine whether to admit you or to send you for additional processing. Which means they have the time and the means to look into your comings and goings, as well as anything else they want to investigate. When it comes time to apply for an immigration benefit, USCIS goes through a number of checks and will pull everything with your name on it. They do not take lies lightly.

Is this question related to application for citizenship or just a general inquiry?

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.