NinoniAndBoosBoos

White Cheddar Mac & Cheese

70 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

thanks everyone...some great ideas for sure...making my own, trader Joes, Amazon and going back are all great ideas,,,good to see so many others are missing their White Cheddar Mac & Cheese..good to chat with my fellow canucks...

event.png

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish

Filed: Timeline

Their idea of an aged cheddar is 6 months! That barely qualifies as a new cheddar. Old Cheddar should be measured in years, not in months :yes: !

I know! I kind of froze at the cheese counter when I reached for aged cheddar and read "Aged 6 months". :lol: I'm lucky enough to live in an area, now, where good cheese is easy to find. (Not so lucky when I lived in Florida, though.) They even have Canadian cheddar here!

The US Mac and cheese was weird to me at first, but I've got used to it. I actually forget how the canadian version tastes, but in the back of my mind, I know its better!

On the other hand, I can't get used to American ketchup. I get the "simple Heinz" and its pretty close... much better than the regular kind.

I miss pizza pops too! And vachon flakies....

I find Simply Heinz is pretty close too. And, YUM, Vachon cakes!!

I've never tried the US mac and cheese because I don't eat KD. I do really like the Stouffers (frozen) mac and cheese every once in a while, though.

I find the products which I have to bring back from Canada are getting less and less as I find comparable products here. I still can't find a substitute for Piller's or PC pepperettes, though. Sux, because my husband loves them in his lunch so I have to ration them out. :hehe: Oh, and I also can't find (or make) a decent substitute for German rye or malt bread. :cry:

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I have found Annie's White Cheddar macaroni and cheese to be the best of the alternatives - not the same but still pretty decent tasting. Far better than the US Kraft version. That being said, I also use the Canadian instructions for KD than the Americans which involves using butter as well as a little bit of milk, and I've often added more cheese as well. You have to be really careful about the rather generic American cheeses too. You need to find a good quality of cheddar from an identified cheese factory rather than the stuff that passes for cheddar in the grocery stores. Their idea of an aged cheddar is 6 months! That barely qualifies as a new cheddar. Old Cheddar should be measured in years, not in months :yes: !

I am confused..lol are you saying that the American instructions doesn't call for milk and butter or the Canadian version? I just checked the American Mac and cheese and it does call for adding milk and butter.. and I know the Canadian version says the same :unsure:

I never follow the exact measurements on the box...lol.. I just add a hunk of butter and pour in a little milk and if I have I will add some extra cheese..

as for ketchup I buy Hunts no HFCS kind...

nohfcsketchup2.jpg

Edited by Marilyn.
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

the only things I really miss are things they don't sell down here...like, Alphagetti, pizza pops, all-dressed chips, white freezies that taste like Cream Soda, coffee crisps..

I do miss Canadian cheese-whiz though.. the stuff they sell down here is gross..:dead:

Edited by Marilyn.
mvSuprise-hug.gif

The Kraft Mac N Cheese here tastes horrible :( Besides ordering it online you could try making it at home. Costco has a nice selection of cheese- we just picked up a big hunk of delicious white cheddar the other day for only 8 bucks.

Has anyone ever found Pilsbury Pizza Pops here? The only thing I've found is some knock off ones (can't remember the brand name, it startes with a T) and it was positively horrendous D: My husband had no idea what I was talking about when I said I wanted pizza pops and thought I was nuts because I was so dejected when I couldn't find them, lol. I've looked EVERYWHERE.

There are no Pillsbury pizza products here at all. I actually used to work at a Pillsbury factory from 2003 to 2007, and we were the sole Pizza Mini plant. That plant makes all the Pizza Mini's across Canada. We also made Pizza Pops now and then when the Winnipeg plant needed help. Pizza Mini's and Pizza Pop's are not sold in the USA, it is a Canada only product unfortunately. Something to do with the meat.

It was a pretty cool job.

formerly sherrybaby

ROC Process

12-13-2013 * 90 day window to apply opens

02-24-2014 * ROC package sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-25-2014 * ROC package received at USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-26-2014 * NOA1 notice date

02-28-2014 * Cheque cashed

03-05-2014 * Biometrics notice date

03-28-2014 * Biometrics Appointment in Baltimore

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I've eaten so much American Mac n Cheese I can't tell the difference :\

Annie's is fantastic though, it's what I buy in Canada :yes:

USCIS

Jul 15/11 - Sent I-130 Package from Honolulu

Jul 18/11 - I-130 package received & signed for in Chicago
Jul 19/11 - Priority Date
Jul 21/11 - NOA1/USCIS Acceptance Confirmation received
Jul 29/11 - Received I-797C hard copy
Aug 4/11 - Touched
Feb 16/12 - NOA2 Approval (212 days since Priority Date)

NVC

Feb 28/12 - NVC Case Number, BIN & IIN Assigned, Optin E-mail for EP Sent

Mar 2/12 - DS-261 Submitted
Mar 5/12 - Electronic Processing Opt-in Accepted, AOS Invoiced & Paid
Mar 7/12 - NVC receive IV electronic package, AOS shows "Paid", AOS Package Sent
Mar 9/12 - IV Bill Invoiced & Paid
Mar 12/12 - AOS fee shows as "Not Paid - Rejected": Human error. AOS re-paid.
Mar 13/12 - IV is "Paid." Will have to be re-paid post imminent "Rejected" status. NVC e-mail "Checklist Cover Letter" asking for my $$$
Mar 14/12 - IV is "Rejected - Not Paid", Re-paid, AOS is "Paid"
Mar 16/12 - IV is "Paid", DS-260 submitted & Package sent
Mar 19/12 - IV Package Received
Mar 20/12 - Case Complete E-mail Received (21 days at NVC)

Final Steps

Apr 10/12 - Interview date assigned: May 9 @ 8:30AM

May 1/12 - Medical Date
May 9/12 - Interview result: Approved!
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned
Aug 10/12 - Green card in hand

ROC

Mar 25/14 - ROC sent to CSC

Mar 28/14 - Package delivered to CSC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Apr 3/14 - Received NOA1, Receipt Date: 3/28

Jun 15/14 - Move to San Diego

Jun 23/14 - RFE / Package sent: Aug 6, ETA Aug 8

Aug 22/14 - New Card in Production

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The American mac and cheese says to mix the cheese powder with milk and then add it to the cooked macaroni. The Canadian one says to add the cheese packet to the macaroni, then add butter and a bit of milk so that the sauce is also made right in the mac and cheese. The Canadian version of the sauce is thicker and creamier while the American version is more watery.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

The American mac and cheese says to mix the cheese powder with milk and then add it to the cooked macaroni. The Canadian one says to add the cheese packet to the macaroni, then add butter and a bit of milk so that the sauce is also made right in the mac and cheese. The Canadian version of the sauce is thicker and creamier while the American version is more watery.

I just checked my box and it just says to dump everything into the mac and cheese... :unsure: I usually add the margarine and stir that til it is almost melted and then I add the cheese powder and milk...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just checked my box and it just says to dump everything into the mac and cheese... :unsure: I usually add the margarine and stir that til it is almost melted and then I add the cheese powder and milk...

Hmmm, interesting! Well, I don't have a box on hand and I must admit it was many years ago I last tried the American version. I do know that the instructions then said to mix milk and the powder separately and add it in but that could have changed or it may not have been the Kraft version of Mac and cheese that I made then. I thought it was, but I could be wrong.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

what happened? why you upset your friends in Canada, to the point where they won't take your money and they won't ship you things?

Come on - get back in touch with someone in Canada, get some monies in their hands, ship over a case of this stuff , soonish.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I learned the difference this century, it was messy.

what I do -

after the macaroni has cooked, drain all in a big strainer/drainer, set it aside for a moment.

then in the same pan, throw down the butter. let it melt.

once melted, add in the milk.

when it starts to get hot (not before) then throw in the powder.

MIX VIGOROUSLY for 2 minutes, then heat once till bubbles start forming.

Take it off the heat, add the macaroni from the strainer/drainer, mix with a spoon.

This makes a much thicker sauce.. it's nice ;)

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Hmmm, interesting! Well, I don't have a box on hand and I must admit it was many years ago I last tried the American version. I do know that the instructions then said to mix milk and the powder separately and add it in but that could have changed or it may not have been the Kraft version of Mac and cheese that I made then. I thought it was, but I could be wrong.

back in Canada I would sometimes mix the milk and cheese powder packet together while the noodles were cooking and let it sit and add it in after the butter, it would get nice and thick... the directions didn't say to do this I did it on my own...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

so do you add the peanut butter first than the jam, or spread it on both side and than slap it together..still all turns out the same...except of course the quality of the product can make all the difference...still wont buy the orange Kraft one..yuck!!!!! too much food colouring here....

event.png

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish

Good thread! I'm now making my pre-packing shopping list... 1 case of KD, half dozen bottles of Cheez Whiz, and 1 case of all-dressed chips. We may have to leave some clothes behind if there's not enough room in the U-Haul! ;-)

The K-1 Visa journey for myself and my two K-2 children:

K-1: NOA1 2011-8-10; NOA2 2012-1-12; Interview 2012-4-24; Visa issued 2012-9-17; POE (Sarnia) 2012-9-26; Wedding! 2012-10-02
AOS: NOA1 2012-11-20; Biometrics 2012-12-14; AP/EAD approved 2013-1-11; Interview 2013-1-31; 2-yr Green cards in hand 2013-2-9 (101 days total)

ROC: NOA1 11-7-14; Biometrics 12-1-14; 10-yr Green cards ordered 4-13-15! (157 days total)

Counting down to naturalization time!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Best way to make the cheese sauce is how Annie's suggests: while pasta is straining, mix everything (milk, butter, cheese) in the warm pot (I'll sometimes turn the heat on very low to keep things melting) then add the pasta and stir together. You don't get any chunks of powdered cheese and the best coverage :thumbs:

USCIS

Jul 15/11 - Sent I-130 Package from Honolulu

Jul 18/11 - I-130 package received & signed for in Chicago
Jul 19/11 - Priority Date
Jul 21/11 - NOA1/USCIS Acceptance Confirmation received
Jul 29/11 - Received I-797C hard copy
Aug 4/11 - Touched
Feb 16/12 - NOA2 Approval (212 days since Priority Date)

NVC

Feb 28/12 - NVC Case Number, BIN & IIN Assigned, Optin E-mail for EP Sent

Mar 2/12 - DS-261 Submitted
Mar 5/12 - Electronic Processing Opt-in Accepted, AOS Invoiced & Paid
Mar 7/12 - NVC receive IV electronic package, AOS shows "Paid", AOS Package Sent
Mar 9/12 - IV Bill Invoiced & Paid
Mar 12/12 - AOS fee shows as "Not Paid - Rejected": Human error. AOS re-paid.
Mar 13/12 - IV is "Paid." Will have to be re-paid post imminent "Rejected" status. NVC e-mail "Checklist Cover Letter" asking for my $$$
Mar 14/12 - IV is "Rejected - Not Paid", Re-paid, AOS is "Paid"
Mar 16/12 - IV is "Paid", DS-260 submitted & Package sent
Mar 19/12 - IV Package Received
Mar 20/12 - Case Complete E-mail Received (21 days at NVC)

Final Steps

Apr 10/12 - Interview date assigned: May 9 @ 8:30AM

May 1/12 - Medical Date
May 9/12 - Interview result: Approved!
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned
Aug 10/12 - Green card in hand

ROC

Mar 25/14 - ROC sent to CSC

Mar 28/14 - Package delivered to CSC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Apr 3/14 - Received NOA1, Receipt Date: 3/28

Jun 15/14 - Move to San Diego

Jun 23/14 - RFE / Package sent: Aug 6, ETA Aug 8

Aug 22/14 - New Card in Production

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.