bsd058

Processing Times for Canadians I-485 (living in Canada)

32 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow - I'm going to Paris(France) for a week and its costing me 5k-ish...what the heck are you doing in Mont while there?

Keep in mind we are estimating (except for the tickets)

Tickets- $1500.00

hotel-$1,000.00

food- $500.00

Medical- $300.00

site seeing souvenirs- $300.00

transportation- $100.00

emergencies- $1,000.00 (of course won't be used unless needed!)

You estimate high, you're surprised when it's less.

USCIS- 260 Days

6/8/11~ Mailed I-130 Application, withdrew Canadian PR application
6/16/11~ NOA1 email and text message Case routed to CSC (Priority Date)
7/12/11~ The 'Money Order' Incident/Returned to Tennessee
8/03/11~ TOUCHED!
3/2/12~ APPROVED! NOA2!

NVC Electronic Processing- Montreal- 19 Days

3/21/12~ Received case number & IIN 20 Days after NOA2
3/21/12~ Sent in opt-in email
3/22/12~ Opt-in accepted
3/23/12~ DS-261 Submitted, never accepted
3/29/12~ AOS bill invoiced and paid
3/30/12~ AOS shows PAID- AOS Package emailed/received, DS-3032 emailed/accepted
4/2/12~ IV bill invoiced and paid
4/3/12~ AOS Checklist documents emailed(first time)
4/4/12~ IV shows PAID- DS-260 submitted/ IV Package emailed/received
4/4/12~ AOS Checklist documents sent again for CYA (second time)
4/5/12~ IV package accepted! No Checklists!
4/6/12~ AOS Checklist emailed(third time)
4/9/12~ AOS packet accepted (finally)
CASE COMPLETE!!

Interview 354 days from NOA1/ 362 days from initial filing date
5/29/12~ Medical@ Medisys, Montreal
6/4/12~ Interview APPROVED!!!
08/07/2012~ POE Emerson, MB/Pembina, ND by land
08/09/2012~ HOME!! 424 days from initial filing date!
08/14/2012~ SSN Received
09/10/2012~ Received Green Card

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Tickets- $1500.00

hotel-$1,000.00

food- $500.00

Medical- $300.00

transportation- $100.00

Ouch on the flight cost....cost us that for 2 roundtrp tickets to Paris...I'm sorry, that is really sucky.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Tickets- $1500.00

hotel-$1,000.00

food- $500.00

Medical- $300.00

transportation- $100.00

Yup our flights were just under $600 each and with only 2 airlines, one of which was threatening strikes, there is no choice.

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

17 Jan 2012 Phoned NVC. Case Number allocated
18 Jan 2012 Emails received re AOS fee and Agent
20 Jan 2012 Electronic opt in email sent & response received
20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
20 Jan 2012 Form DS-261 Choice of agent filed
27 Jan 2012 Email received re choice of agent received. Can now pay IV bill
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
31 Jan 2012 Received written notification case at NVC (dated 18 Jan)
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS
9 Feb 2012 DS-260 submitted online & docs emailed
14 Feb 2012 Case Complete
5 Mar 2012 received email - interview date 10 April
10 Apr 2012 Visa Approved
10 Apr 2012 Email from Loomis - passport picked up from Consulate

June 2012 Moved back to US

Timeline

Not sure where you found this out, but you must have your Immigration Medical done at one of the three medical clinics listed on the Department of State website. http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3739.html

I am looking at spending approx a week in Montreal due to the cost of the flights and the time it takes to get results from the clinic there. I'm in Lethbridge, so I would much rather go to Montana, but it's not an option.

Hi, hikergirl. Call the USCIS information line. They will confirm that you can do this. I spoke with a few different agents about this. They all said the same thing. Your immigration medical does not have to be from the country you are in. The medical just needs to be done by a civil surgeon. Call them yourself. This is how I found it out. I asked if I could do that and they said that I could.

Sigh...Remember the days when you could just cross the border with your birth certificate?

Edited by bsd058

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

Timeline

Yes you have to have the medical by a US civil surgeon in Canada. You can go to Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal. All CR-1 or IR-1 spousal visas go through Montreal.

My husband is in Calgary and we too will be spending a week in Montreal to get the medical and interview done in one trip.

I wonder if there is a way around this for the affidavit of support. I wonder if we can use our current income or something. I think we can only use my income if it will continue from the same source when I move. If anyone has suggestions on this, it ould be greatly appreciated. I'm going to

Nope. Your income from Canada will not count. Either try to gather all your asset documents, or the USC moves a few months early to get a job and establish a US income. As much as that would suck, it might have to be done. You could also look into getting a joint sponsor to help you out. Canada has no problems with the USC using a joint sponsor.

At the moment my income is $0 because I lost my job in November and I'm a full time college student. They only way to get my husband here is with a joint sponsor.

That being said, I spoke to an immigration lawyer (only to see how much it would cost to have someone else fill out our forms and take care of the rest, and they said doing it this way takes about 2 years to enter the country.

That lawyer is a fool. At the most it takes a year. You don't need a lawyer for the process unless one of you are on probation for murdering someone :) or have any other felonious Background.

where would I find the proper timeframes for Canadians wishing to file I-485 once the notice of action is received?

I-485 is only to adjust status once you are in the US, doesn't apply for you.

After your I-130 is sent to Chicago you don't know where it will end up. California is a little slower than Vermont, cross your fingers for Vermont. Sometimes it is expedited if the USC lives abroad with the spouse, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes (like us) you're stuck in USCIS limbo for eight and half months. It's a dice game.

NVC usually goes pretty quick if you send in all the documents and do not get a checklist. Montreal is eligible for electronic processing, so everything is done on-line and by email. The average for Canadians in NVC is about 22 days. After NVC you will be scheduled an interview in Montreal. It's about a month and a half to two months AFTER NVC the interview will be scheduled. You will probably look at mid to late summer.

Keep in mind if you are expedited through USCIS, you can take your sweet time submitting documents to NVC to meet your schedule.

We were going to stay here for another couple of years, but the winters up here in Alberta are just too much for her.

HAHAHAHA Alberta winters are nothing! I spent two winters in Winnipeg, I was outta there! -45 for two weeks straight is enough to make anyone move! Hubby said he moved to Calgary for the nicer weather. Now he's moving south for even better weather.

-45? That's it? That's the temp hjere on a regular basis. lol. Welll...this year was mild, but every other year I've been here it's been -45 for weeks at a time if not worse. Trust me, Winnipeg is usually not as cold as where we are. I'm on my way to Winnipeg for a business trip next month! Where I am, Lloydminster, it was -70F for a few weeks (not in a row, just usually). We were officially the coldest place on Earth for a few days! Also, I was told that I could complete the medical in Montana by USCIS. I spoke with them directly a few times and they said this. Maybe they misunderstood my plans. Maybe they thought I was staying in the US. I will give them another call to confirm just in case. I'm pretty sure I told them what I planned on doing. I don't think I even knew about the proper process when I asked, though. Whatever, I'll confirm this with the agents and post what they told me. I'll talk to a couple of them, too.

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

Timeline

Hi, hikergirl. Call the USCIS information line. They will confirm that you can do this. I spoke with a few different agents about this. They all said the same thing. Your immigration medical does not have to be from the country you are in. The medical just needs to be done by a civil surgeon. Call them yourself. This is how I found it out. I asked if I could do that and they said that I could.

Sigh...Remember the days when you could just cross the border with your birth certificate?

USCIS information line is notoriously wrong. The DOS link here: Can The Medical be done in the US?

We tried to get my husband his medical at a civil surgeon in Johnson City, TN during his visit at Christmas. When we called to make the appointment we were told that medicals done in the US are for Adjustment of Status cases only and not for CR-1 visas originating in another country. My husband would have to get his medical in Canada, she then gave me a list of US civil surgeons in Canada.

Edited by sheeshkabelle

USCIS- 260 Days

6/8/11~ Mailed I-130 Application, withdrew Canadian PR application
6/16/11~ NOA1 email and text message Case routed to CSC (Priority Date)
7/12/11~ The 'Money Order' Incident/Returned to Tennessee
8/03/11~ TOUCHED!
3/2/12~ APPROVED! NOA2!

NVC Electronic Processing- Montreal- 19 Days

3/21/12~ Received case number & IIN 20 Days after NOA2
3/21/12~ Sent in opt-in email
3/22/12~ Opt-in accepted
3/23/12~ DS-261 Submitted, never accepted
3/29/12~ AOS bill invoiced and paid
3/30/12~ AOS shows PAID- AOS Package emailed/received, DS-3032 emailed/accepted
4/2/12~ IV bill invoiced and paid
4/3/12~ AOS Checklist documents emailed(first time)
4/4/12~ IV shows PAID- DS-260 submitted/ IV Package emailed/received
4/4/12~ AOS Checklist documents sent again for CYA (second time)
4/5/12~ IV package accepted! No Checklists!
4/6/12~ AOS Checklist emailed(third time)
4/9/12~ AOS packet accepted (finally)
CASE COMPLETE!!

Interview 354 days from NOA1/ 362 days from initial filing date
5/29/12~ Medical@ Medisys, Montreal
6/4/12~ Interview APPROVED!!!
08/07/2012~ POE Emerson, MB/Pembina, ND by land
08/09/2012~ HOME!! 424 days from initial filing date!
08/14/2012~ SSN Received
09/10/2012~ Received Green Card

Timeline

Not sure where you found this out, but you must have your Immigration Medical done at one of the three medical clinics listed on the Department of State website. http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3739.html

I am looking at spending approx a week in Montreal due to the cost of the flights and the time it takes to get results from the clinic there. I'm in Lethbridge, so I would much rather go to Montana, but it's not an option.

Yes you have to have the medical by a US civil surgeon in Canada. You can go to Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal. All CR-1 or IR-1 spousal visas go through Montreal.

My husband is in Calgary and we too will be spending a week in Montreal to get the medical and interview done in one trip.

I wonder if there is a way around this for the affidavit of support. I wonder if we can use our current income or something. I think we can only use my income if it will continue from the same source when I move. If anyone has suggestions on this, it ould be greatly appreciated. I'm going to

Nope. Your income from Canada will not count. Either try to gather all your asset documents, or the USC moves a few months early to get a job and establish a US income. As much as that would suck, it might have to be done. You could also look into getting a joint sponsor to help you out. Canada has no problems with the USC using a joint sponsor.

At the moment my income is $0 because I lost my job in November and I'm a full time college student. They only way to get my husband here is with a joint sponsor.

That being said, I spoke to an immigration lawyer (only to see how much it would cost to have someone else fill out our forms and take care of the rest, and they said doing it this way takes about 2 years to enter the country.

That lawyer is a fool. At the most it takes a year. You don't need a lawyer for the process unless one of you are on probation for murdering someone :) or have any other felonious Background.

where would I find the proper timeframes for Canadians wishing to file I-485 once the notice of action is received?

I-485 is only to adjust status once you are in the US, doesn't apply for you.

After your I-130 is sent to Chicago you don't know where it will end up. California is a little slower than Vermont, cross your fingers for Vermont. Sometimes it is expedited if the USC lives abroad with the spouse, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes (like us) you're stuck in USCIS limbo for eight and half months. It's a dice game.

NVC usually goes pretty quick if you send in all the documents and do not get a checklist. Montreal is eligible for electronic processing, so everything is done on-line and by email. The average for Canadians in NVC is about 22 days. After NVC you will be scheduled an interview in Montreal. It's about a month and a half to two months AFTER NVC the interview will be scheduled. You will probably look at mid to late summer.

Keep in mind if you are expedited through USCIS, you can take your sweet time submitting documents to NVC to meet your schedule.

We were going to stay here for another couple of years, but the winters up here in Alberta are just too much for her.

HAHAHAHA Alberta winters are nothing! I spent two winters in Winnipeg, I was outta there! -45 for two weeks straight is enough to make anyone move! Hubby said he moved to Calgary for the nicer weather. Now he's moving south for even better weather.

I found out the above posts are correct. I emailed the Montreal US consulate and they confirmed they will only accept medicals from civil surgeons located within Canada. Here is the email I received:

Good day,

Montreal U.S. consulate will only accept medical examination performed by a designated physician in Canada provided in the following link.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3739.html - for Medical Exam requirements

I hope that this information may be useful.

Sincerely,

OP8

Consular Correspondent | Immigrant Visa Unit

Montreal-IV-DV@state.gov

Wow - I'm going to Paris(France) for a week and its costing me 5k-ish...what the heck are you doing in Mont while there?

Ya, it won't cost me that much for the trip.

Even if I make 2 trips to Montreal, I will be going by myself, not with my wife. I don't need super-nice living quarters for myself and I can ind very cheap tickets. I'm always travelling with my current employer.

USCIS information line is notoriously wrong. The DOS link here: Can The Medical be done in the US?

We tried to get my husband his medical at a civil surgeon in Johnson City, TN during his visit at Christmas. When we called to make the appointment we were told that medicals done in the US are for Adjustment of Status cases only and not for CR-1 visas originating in another country. My husband would have to get his medical in Canada, she then gave me a list of US civil surgeons in Canada.

You are correct. It's a good thing someone spoke up and said something, otherwise I wouldn't have known to confirm this with Montreal.

Timeline

Even if I make 2 trips to Montreal, I will be going by myself, not with my wife. I don't need super-nice living quarters for myself and I can ind very cheap tickets. I'm always travelling with my current employer.

Remember, you don't get to chose when to go to Montreal. You are given an interview date and you can't book the medical until you have the interview letter so there might not be the choice of cheap flights that you would like. The medical can be carried out in Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal.

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS

Timeline

I am in a little bit of the same boat as you, I can't count my income here in Canada towards the i864. We had my Dad file as a joint sponsor and my mom as a household member to get the income requirement part. I am slightly concerned about proving domicile since I am not living in the US now and I am not planning on working once we move, so hopefully they take the stuff we have and don't require me to actually move to the US before giving him a visa.

As far as delaying the processing, we started the process over a year ago so you can start it and slow down if it seems to be going too fast. We filed out I130 over a year ago and are just now at case complete. We got our NOA2 just before our baby was born and so weren't super on top of getting things sent in so that's why we're just now at case complete. I only mention that so that you know that you can start it a little bit sooner

I think that the lawyer was totally off base with their estimate and likely was telling you that it would take so long just to try to get you to use them. We are so far $1500 in and that is including the medical exam. All we have left to pay for is a trip to Montreal.

Good luck to you as you start the process!

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Remember, you don't get to chose when to go to Montreal. You are given an interview date and you can't book the medical until you have the interview letter so there might not be the choice of cheap flights that you would like. The medical can be carried out in Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal.

Ya. I just meant to say I think the travel part is easier than I originally thought. At first I was like, "What?! I have to fly across the country just to do the interview and the medical?" But I might be able to make it work for less than I thought originally.

Question for you. My wife will be moving to Florida before me in August. She will be starting to work for a school there, and so her pay will not start coming in until end of August. I'm trying to figure out how we go about doing this. For right now, she is in Canada with me. We want to submit our paperwork now, but she will then move to Florida. What guide should we use? I thought at first that we should use the US citizen and spouse overseas. But now I'm not sure if we should use the US citicen in US and spouse overseas guide.

Edited by bsd058

Timeline

Ya. I just meant to say I think the travel part is easier than I originally thought. At first I was like, "What?! I have to fly across the country just to do the interview and the medical?" But I might be able to make it work for less than I thought originally.

Question for you. My wife will be moving to Florida before me in August. She will be starting to work for a school there, and so her pay will not start coming in until end of August. I'm trying to figure out how we go about doing this. For right now, she is in Canada with me. We want to submit our paperwork now, but she will then move to Florida. What guide should we use? I thought at first that we should use the US citizen and spouse overseas. But now I'm not sure if we should use the US citicen in US and spouse overseas guide.

It appears that applications filed where the US citizen is overseas with spouse are processed faster but when you reach NVC stage you can slow the process down if need be. If your wife moves to Florida before the interview she will have no problem proving domicile as she will be in the US.

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS

Timeline

It appears that applications filed where the US citizen is overseas with spouse are processed faster but when you reach NVC stage you can slow the process down if need be. If your wife moves to Florida before the interview she will have no problem proving domicile as she will be in the US.

Okay, so for instance, the affidavit of support can be submitted once she gets a paystub and a letter of employment, even if the I-130 is approved by say end of May or something ridiculous like that. Am I correct?

Timeline

Okay, so for instance, the affidavit of support can be submitted once she gets a paystub and a letter of employment, even if the I-130 is approved by say end of May or something ridiculous like that. Am I correct?

Yup

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS

Timeline

Yup

Cool! Thanks!

Timeline

Tickets- $1500.00

hotel-$1,000.00

food- $500.00

Medical- $300.00

transportation- $100.00

Hi Sheeshkabelle

don't know what allowances you are making in your budget for Montreal (everyone is different) but we found eating out to be more expensive plus as well as 5% GST there's 10% provincial tax. Hope that helps with your budget.

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.