briban1

meeting within two years prior to applying for K!

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi,

I wonder if anyone may have an answer for this: I have had an on going relationship with my fiance in the Philippines since January 2007. We have a small store over there with an apartment upstairs that she lives in. I am finally getting her papers together and haven't been there since March 21st 2010 due to various reasons. I do talk to her every day on Yahoo (video chat). I know they say you have to meet in person within 2 years of applying for the K1. I really don't want to have to spend $2000 to go there to visit if I don't have to. Has anyone had a situation like this and if so how did they handle it?

Thanks, Brian

you should both meet within 2 years prior to filing k1. we took the risk and applied it but our petition was denied. if you really want to petition her. you MUST go back in the philippines and have some proofs of meeting.

You have to have met in person in the last two years before you file for the K1. It's a requirement.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The replies will all be the same.

There is No Way Around it.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Time to book a trip and pack a bag.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Just agreeing with everyone else. There ARE ways around the requirement like:

- religious reasons (some cultures can't meet in person before marriage but you already HAVE met her, just too long ago)

- unable to travel. You need to prove you are PHYSICALLY unable to visit her, and she unable to visit you either in the US, or there, or any other country.

There was one case I recall they have let the requirement slide but that's only because the girl has been diagnosed with cancer or something and they needed to file ASAP to get her there ASAP before she passes so they can be together... they initially denied, then revoked the denial and I think they're still waiting on the interview...

Long story short - you do not appear (from your post) to meet any requirements to waive the 2 year requirement and so you need to go and visit her again before you can file.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Not wanting to spend 2000 dollars isn't going to waive the requirement of having met within 2 years. Even if it did, this is a multiple stage process where you could be denied at the embassy interview for them doubting your ongoing relationship.

My advise is swallow the cost of the journey, enjoy your next visit and take it from there. If you're concerned about the cost, then marry your fiancee on your next visit. The CR1 route is less expensive than the K1 in the long run.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

I wonder if anyone may have an answer for this: I have had an on going relationship with my fiance in the Philippines since January 2007. We have a small store over there with an apartment upstairs that she lives in. I am finally getting her papers together and haven't been there since March 21st 2010 due to various reasons. I do talk to her every day on Yahoo (video chat). I know they say you have to meet in person within 2 years of applying for the K1. I really don't want to have to spend $2000 to go there to visit if I don't have to. Has anyone had a situation like this and if so how did they handle it?

Thanks, Brian

You should have filed last week. Meeting within the last two years before you file is an absolute requirement. There was a guy who got his I-I29 denied when he filed two years and 5 days after his last meeting with his fiancee. You'll have to go meet face-to-face before you can petition for her.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi,

Thanks, Brian

You need to meet in person with her within 2 years of filing the petition. That is just to get opetition approval. I would not even try to get visa approval with not having seen her within two years.

Many people have had this situation. You can search the forums here to see. If it has been 2 years plus ONE day they will deny your petition and keep your $340. THEN you will spend $2000 for the trip PLUS another $340 for another petition.

Buy a plane ticket. You are taking a vacation.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Country: Ireland
Timeline

What they said ^^

:thumbs:

K-1 Visa Journey
08/05/2011 I-129F sent
08/09/2011 I-129F recieved and signed for by C.Viella @ Lewisville, TX
08/11/2011 NOA1 email recieved
08/12/2011 Cheque cashed by USCIS
08/16/2011 NOA1 Hard Copy recieved
12/05/2011 NOA2 Email recieved: Approved
12/09/2011 NOA2 Hard Copy recieved: Approved
01/10/2012 Medical
01/24/2012 NVC received File
01/26/2012 NVC transferred to Embassy
02/06/2012 Embassy Received
02/08/2012 Packet 3 Received
02/16/2012 Packet 3 Sent back to Embassy
02/17/2012 Embassy Received
03/01/2012 Packet 4 Received
03/13/2012 Interview Date: APPROVED
04/05/2012 POE: Dublin, Ireland

Your I-129f was approved in 116 days from your NOA1 date.
Your interview took 215 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

04/25/2012 AOS sent
04/30/2012 AOS Received and signed for by CHYBA @ Chicago, IL
05/03/2012 Cheque cashed by USCIS
05/04/2012 Biometrics letter sent
05/29/2012 I-485 transferred to CSC
06/01/2012 Biometrics appointment
07/06/2012 EAD+AP Card Production (68 days)
07/14/2012 EAD+AP Card Received

04/18/2013 Filed for EAD+AP renewal
04/19/2013 Contacted Congressman
04/19/2013 RFE for form I-693
05/06/2013 RFE response under review
05/21/2013 AOS APPROVED!
05/25/2013 Green Card IN HAND!

Your AOS was approved in 392 days from your send-date.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

i had the same situation but only thing was different is that i had 2yrs-(1 or 2 day) it was almost 2 yrs like 1 day less...but i havent got any reply yet so still hoping..

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow you are literally days outside the 2 year rule. There is no way around it, you have to visit her.

Edited by OurHappyEnding

10/25/2011 - Sent I129F to Texas

10/28/2011 - Texas received/Check Cashed

11/01/2011 - NOA1 (6 days after mailing)

03/22/2012 - NOA2 (142 days after NOA1)

04/20/2012 - Received Interview Date (June 4th)

05/22/2012 - Medisys Medical(Done!)

06/04/2012 - Interview in MTL (APPROVED!)

event.png

ticker.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Wow this is a funny thread. Sometimes it almost sounds like a terrible chore to have to go visit your fiance. Now don't get me wrong, I totally understand the cost being an issue, and it totally was for me....but I took a second job so I could afford the cost to go be with my fiance...it just felt like not seeing him was not an options. And yes, We talked everyday too via skype. I could barely stand to be away from him for a few weeks - I cannot imagine not seeing him for years! I guess I understand why they have that 2 year limit.... Visa "Relationship proofs" aside, I think an in-person visit would be good for the sake of your relationship in general... :)(L)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.