clairerubunda

How do you qualify to Expedite Case?

44 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

I'm interested...how can you have a church wedding and it not be legal?

Indulge me... ;)

You have the ceremony but don't sign the legal paperwork. Doable, but tricky.

Huh???

You enter as a K1. You wanna go back to to the home country for a legal wedding.....tell me how again??

You would travel on an Advance Parole doc. You cant apply for one until you submit the AOS I-485 package. Included in that package is a certified copy of your marriage certificate from the County Recorders office. If you do not have a certified copy, you will receive an RFE, etc.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Indulge me... ;)

Thanks for the info.

Okay, surely, if you are going to go all out and HAVE a church wedding you might as well do it all. I mean, sign the paperwork and everything. I fail to see why you would invite friends and family to a wedding and then tell them that "okay, we're having this church wedding...but we're not actually going to be married."

Dunno, just seems a little crazy to me.

I can't see why you just can't arrange it for after the visa. In the long run it'll save you money cos you'll only have one wedding. I'd certainly feel I was attending a sham wedding if I was invited to an "unofficial" church wedding. And I'd love to see you try to explain it all when you go for your interview at the embassy...

Just my opinion.

Edited by mags

I was just going to see that I'd recommend looking through some recent timelines from London.

Even though Montreal is towards the slower end of the consulates, I know we'll be waiting 2-4 months JUST to get an interview after sending back packet three. Actually, the USCIS petition approval for us Montreal kids will be the quickest part of the process (hopefully). I hope that's not the case in London and it moves a little faster.

:star: Cass (bebop the great)

Oh, no... :( That's the consulate that my fiancé and I will be having the visa interview at. In fact, he lives only a few blocks away from it. I didn't think it would take anywhere near that long for an interview. :crying:

08/25/06 - 08/08/07 - K1 timeframe from mailing the petition to the NSC to K1 approval at the Montréal Consulate

08/31/07 - Réjean makes the big move to the USA

09/22/07 - MARRIED!

10/09/07 - Réjean gets his SSN

Adjustment of status:

10/26/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP

11/23/07 - Biometrics appointment

12/14/07 - I-485 transferred to the California Service Center

12/28/07 - EAD approved!

01/07/08 - EAD received

02/08/08 - GREEN CARD APPROVED!!!!!!

02/16/08 - Green card received!

*headdesk*:

01/02/09 - Réjean loses his wallet containing his drivers license, Social Security card, and green card

02/04/09 - Our best friends bail us out by giving us the money to file for the replacement green card!

02/12/09 - E-filed I-90 for the replacement green card along with the $370 filing fee (including biometrics)

02/19/09 - NOA1

02/25/09 - Biometrics appointment

05/01/09 - Replacement green card received

Removal of conditions:

01/07/10: Mailed I-751 packet by overnight mail to the CSC

01/11/10: I-751 packet delivered and signed for

01/19/10: Received NOA1

01/28/10: Biometrics (did walk-in due to Réjean being out on the road on original date of 02/10/10)

02/03/10: APPROVED!!!

02/05/10: Received e-mail from USCIS saying the card production has been ordered

02/06/10: Received letter typed on plain paper from USCIS congratulating Réjean on his removal of conditions approval

02/11/10: Green card received

Timeline

We do have a backup plan, we have the "church wedding" but not a legal wedding, our priest has already looked into that. I just need to get in the county! Then come back to uk and have the lega wedding once I have the Visa.

I'm sure you're aware of how careful you have to be not to invalidate your K1 by being married when you try to enter on it....

Be careful, and smart with your research. It would be dreadful to have to sit and wait out a K3 on top of the K1 for the sake of not moving the wedding.

:star:

C, check the backstory (altho, OP, you'd be smart to sketc in a few of your details with your posts since yoiur case is a bit, er unusual.

OP: on a K-1, your legal wedding must be in the US. You can have a ceremonial wedding outside the US.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Indulge me... ;)

Huh???

You enter as a K1. You wanna go back to to the home country for a legal wedding.....tell me how again??

You would travel on an Advance Parole doc. You cant apply for one until you submit the AOS I-485 package. Included in that package is a certified copy of your marriage certificate from the County Recorders office. If you do not have a certified copy, you will receive an RFE, etc.

Misreading me a bit I think here, but good to know that I'll receive an RFE for someone else's certified copy of a marriage certificate.

I think the OP is planning a wedding ceremony that she won't have the visa in time for, and the idea is that the fiancé will come here for the ceremony (since the party is already planned), then return and enter later on the K-1 when they'll have a legal ceremony.

Or, she's planning a wedding ceremony in the UK that won't count as a legal marriage, and then they'll get legally married in the U.S. once he enters on the K-1. I'm a little confused because I'm not sure quite what the OP's plan is w/r/t the wedding party.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Hi Guy's.

I have read on here about people not qualifying for an expidtied servise on their Visa.

So I was wondering if anyone knows how you do qualify, and if you do hwo dotyou go about trying to get this done! Do you write, call, anything?

Also, does calling and hassling people the USCIS help or hinder? Any evidence?

Thanks all.

Having a bad day today, can't get the Visa out of my head, cant sleep, just want it over with!

x Claire

Claire, I have read most of the replies and I think you have a good understanding that expedite needs a good reason and can be done. If I understand your timeline from this post, you are still inside the 60 days published by the USCIS. As we have seen in this site, if the USCIS has not responded or acted on RFEs and petitions within the published 60 days, you can subit an expedite request. Do a search for expedite and there is a thread with and example letter, that just got his expedite approved because USCIS had busted their 60 day response timeline. Good luck, Payato

"Better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you are not!"

Timeline:

22 Jul 06 - Received NOA-1

18 Sep 06 - Received NOA2 in mail

11 Oct 06 - Case MNL783xxx received by Manila Embassy... guess NVC lied

26 Dec 06 - Received Packet 4

18-19 Jan 07 - Medical complete early, scheduled 8 Feb

19 Jan - CFO completed after SLE shots... have to go back for the stamp after visa approval

15 Feb 07 - Interview Approved

24 Feb 07 - Arrive at Honolulu POE

2 Apr 07 - Married, civil ceremony, mailed AOS

17 Apr 07 - Checks cashed for AOS & AP

22 Apr 07 - Filed Expedite for AP

8 May 07 - Biometrics Appt

8 May 07 - Filed complaint with local USCIS for no action on Expedite request

9 May 07 - AP Expedite approved via email

14 May 07 - received AP I-512L documents in the mail

25 Jun 07 - AOS Interview scheduled but cancelled due to deployment and family emergency

29 Nov 07 - Visited local USCIS to reschedule AOS interview

15 Jan 08 - Local USCIS finally forwards reschedule request after formal complaint

8 Feb 08 - Received new Interview date

28 Mar 08 - AOS Interview ..investigation reopened due to incorrect birthdate that was identified 05/07

16 Apr 08 - CRIS Notice of GC approval and welcome notice via email

25 Apr 08 - GC received finally!

15 Jan 10 - Mailed Lifting of Conditions Package

19 Jan 10 - Package received at VT USCIS

22 Jan 10 - Checked cashed by USCIS

26 Jan 10 - Received NOA dated 20 Jan 10

29 Jan 10 - Received NOA for Biometrics

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi Guy's.

I have read on here about people not qualifying for an expidtied servise on their Visa.

So I was wondering if anyone knows how you do qualify, and if you do hwo dotyou go about trying to get this done! Do you write, call, anything?

Also, does calling and hassling people the USCIS help or hinder? Any evidence?

Thanks all.

Having a bad day today, can't get the Visa out of my head, cant sleep, just want it over with!

x Claire

Claire, I have read most of the replies and I think you have a good understanding that expedite needs a good reason and can be done. If I understand your timeline from this post, you are still inside the 60 days published by the USCIS. As we have seen in this site, if the USCIS has not responded or acted on RFEs and petitions within the published 60 days, you can subit an expedite request. Do a search for expedite and there is a thread with and example letter, that just got his expedite approved because USCIS had busted their 60 day response timeline. Good luck, Payato

Thaks Payato, once I go past the 60 days I will write the letter, I will go look for it now!

I am feeling a lot beter about the whole process today. Good days and bad eh!

Am hoping i get NOA2 this week.

Claire

Indulge me... ;)

Huh???

Misreading me a bit I think here, but good to know that I'll receive an RFE for someone else's certified copy of a marriage certificate.

I think the OP is planning a wedding ceremony that she won't have the visa in time for, and the idea is that the fiancé will come here for the ceremony (since the party is already planned), then return and enter later on the K-1 when they'll have a legal ceremony.

Or, she's planning a wedding ceremony in the UK that won't count as a legal marriage, and then they'll get legally married in the U.S. once he enters on the K-1. I'm a little confused because I'm not sure quite what the OP's plan is w/r/t the wedding party.

Just to clarify again. The wedding is planned for the US. My Fiance is there, I am in the Uk. We started planning the wedding when we were both living in the uk before my Fiance was transfered back to the US. So, my back up plan is go to the US. Have a church wedding, not do the legal part which my Preist has checked is ok. In the eyes of the church, my family and friends we would be married. In the eyes of the law we wont. I come back to uk for Embassu interview, travel back to US on K! and get the legal part done. As far as I am concerend the 1st wedding willbe the day we are married! OR we can do what the queen does with her birthdays and have 2 anniversarys!

Its not ideal, but then none of this is! I wouldnt have done it this way in hind site, but I dont have any choice now.

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Indulge me... ;)

Huh???

Just to clarify again. The wedding is planned for the US. My Fiance is there, I am in the Uk. We started planning the wedding when we were both living in the uk before my Fiance was transfered back to the US. So, my back up plan is go to the US. Have a church wedding, not do the legal part which my Preist has checked is ok. In the eyes of the church, my family and friends we would be married. In the eyes of the law we wont. I come back to uk for Embassu interview, travel back to US on K! and get the legal part done. As far as I am concerend the 1st wedding willbe the day we are married! OR we can do what the queen does with her birthdays and have 2 anniversarys!

Its not ideal, but then none of this is! I wouldnt have done it this way in hind site, but I dont have any choice now.

OK...got it now...two weddings in the US.

Be careful with this one. Getting into the US while a petition is pending is hard enough, but if Immigration knows you are coming for some kind of ceremony, and you are carrying a wedding dress, etc., you could be easily denied entry.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Timeline

Indulge me... ;)

Huh???

OK...got it now...two weddings in the US.

Be careful with this one. Getting into the US while a petition is pending is hard enough, but if Immigration knows you are coming for some kind of ceremony, and you are carrying a wedding dress, etc., you could be easily denied entry.

Yeah i know, i am very worried. To my benifit I have been to the US once already in the arly stahes of my K! process, and I will fedex the dress! I will take a letter from my employer and landlord too. Anything I can think of, I have been in and out of the us loads of times before, so am praying its not a problem!

Thanks for the thought.

Timeline

D

As far as I am concerend the 1st wedding willbe the day we are married!

Jeez I feel like the kill joy, but again, caution, caution, caution. Please bear that 'legal' title in mind when you are traveling as a 'fiancee'.

While unusual, there was a recent example of a fiance being refused entry for referring to his partner as his wife (because of their 'unofficial' ceremony).

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
D

Jeez I feel like the kill joy, but again, caution, caution, caution. Please bear that 'legal' title in mind when you are traveling as a 'fiancee'.

While unusual, there was a recent example of a fiance being refused entry for referring to his partner as his wife (because of their 'unofficial' ceremony).

ANd I personally sent back an Canadian couple who came ona K-1 because they had wedding rings on... I strongly urge you to not have any ceremony of any kind before you enter the US... too much of a chance to get caught in a 'misunderstanding'

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline
D

Ok, so no wedding rings, no engagment rings and no Wife or Husband calling! I will be very carefull! Thanks for the help.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you go into the Canada forum, you will see a Montreal interview waiting room. Full of people that are waiting at least 2 months from return of Packet 3 until interview date. Many 3 or 4. I think the latest I heard was that They are booking December interview dates for those returning September packets.

So sad to think that the USCIS part of this process might actually be the SHORTEST out of all of it.

:unsure:

:star: Cass (bebop the great)

Oh, no... :( That's the consulate that my fiancé and I will be having the visa interview at. In fact, he lives only a few blocks away from it. I didn't think it would take anywhere near that long for an interview. :crying:

us.gif

timeline.gif

K-1

Service Center: California (transferred from Nebraska)

Consulate: Vancouver, Canada (transferred from Montreal)

06.17.2006 — Engagement!

08.23.2006 — NOA1

11.01.2006 — NOA2

01.25.2007 — Interview—APPPROOOVVEEEDD!!

02.12.2007 — Entry date!

03.01.2007 — Applied for SSN.

03.08.2007 — Social Security Card arrives! :)

03.17.2007 — Wedding day! Happy St. Patty's Day! YAY! :D

AOS/EAD

04.30.2007 — AOS/EAD Mailed off (No AP)

05.02.2007 — Arrives in Chicago.

05.08.2007 — NOA1 for AOS/EAD

06.01.2007 — Biometrics (and EAD Touch)

06.14.2007 — AOS Touch

06.17.2007 — AOS Transferred to CSC

06.19.2007 — AOS Touch

06.20.2007 — AOS Touch

06.21.2007 — AOS Touch (They must be doing something!)

07.25.2007 — EA Card Arrives. YAY! :)

09.03.2007 — AOS Touch, something finally!

09.05.2007 — AOS Touch

09.07.2007 — AOS Touch

09.09.2007 — AOS Touch

09.10.2007 — AOS Touch

09.11.2007 — AOS Approval without interview

09.17.2007 — Welcome to America! Letter arrives

09.29.2007 — Green card arrives! WOOO! No more USCIS until 06/09.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

D

Ok, so no wedding rings, no engagment rings and no Wife or Husband calling! I will be very carefull! Thanks for the help.

BTW.. did you know that your USC husband needs to get a fiancee visa to get married in the UK.. I think it'll be pretty hard to hide that you didn't get married when your fiancee has an activiated UK Fiancee Visa in his passport... and if you don't think that the CBP won't pick up on that... we'll good luck to you.

Again.. don't be short sighted... get the civil wedding done in the US first if you want to do a K1. If you're insistent on getting married in the UK.. I suggest that you go for the K3 or CR1 option...

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.